It's time for Wyze to support RTSP (full integration)!

I get it. Wyze started out making trinket cameras that you might use for this or that. I now own 8 cameras (1 V1, 2 V2’s, and 4 outdoor cameras). With 8 cameras, it’s not reasonable to use the app to view the cameras.

We need RTSP to be supported as part of the main-line firmware. Not a special load. I need to be able to view Wyze cameras using iSpy Agent DVR. Other Wyze users are using other software. The common denominator for camera systems is RTSP support.

Wyze is a gimmick until it supports RTSP as part of the product. Not a goofy load this special firmware which may have security issues and which you have to manually update.

Not being able to view Wyze cameras on a PC is a big issue and my friends who try Wyze because of all the hype are consistently disappointed that it’s a novelty item not a real solution.

John

[Mod Edit]: Title Modified to Enhance Search Clarity.

AMEN to that!

5 Likes

Doesn’t make sense to me either. I’ve already moved on, but do check back from time to time for any RTSP updates… sadly just folks like us complaining.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d like RTSP supported so I can update my cams instead of taking them down manually for support

3 Likes

It is ridiculous that they haven’t fixed this. I’m not buying anymore Wyse devices until they have provided a web interface. I want a couple of more cameras but I’m about to switch manufactures over this issue and just sell what I have.

4 Likes

I agree. I get a little more mad every time I see them introduce another product. I’m not sure what their end-game is, but I suspect they want to be acquired by Amazon or a large company wanting to get into the IoT space. My guess is they have advisors telling them to widen their portfolio of products to increase their valuation.

It feels to me like they are browsing through every sketchy electronics factory in Wuhan and slapping the Wyze label on anything that looks mildly interesting. I’m sure we’ll see a Wyze toilet paper holder that alerts you when you’re running low within the next six months!

What’s sad is that they built a community around their focus on the users. They have drifted away from this when they realized the company they built could be worth a lot of money if they sold it. I think there is a high probability that many of the products they’ve sold will be orphaned once the back-end servers are shutdown and the products are abandoned.

John

6 Likes

I agree

1 Like

I also agree. And the RTSP subject and status comes as a bit of a disappointment for me. I was about to pull the trigger on several cams, door bell, and sprinkler controller, but the inability to get a supported firmware that will allow me to use one of my home linux servers to manage the video (and other features) is a BIG block wall in the way of that. I hope that this changes, and it will have to in order for me to go all in.

4 Likes

Agreed. It needs to be built in, not a separate firmware.

3 Likes

I understand that Wyze makes money on their Cam Plus service and, for many people, that’s a benefit worth paying for. That being said, I will wholeheartedly vote yes on the “support RTSP” part of the topic title.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. If they supported RTSP and worked as all the other cameras do, I would own a fleet of them. Instead, I retired the three I had and will not be purchasing more until they fully support RTSP and work without rebooting, freezing, and otherwise fail to function when using RTSP.

And as for the excuse that people will not use the app because they are using RTSP is a false narrative. I still used the app even when using RTSP because the App was easier for what I wanted to do, but the RTSP allowed me to have everything saved to a local server and accessible as I needed, without an internet connection or limited features.

There is no reason not to, and the excuse that they don’t have enough time is bogus. If you can come out monthly with scales and sprinklers and door bells you can reprogram your units to support an industry standard.

6 Likes

I’m canceling my Cam Plus subscription. I find that being able to stream with rtsp on the beta version firmware is more important then cloud storage. I am also going to wait on preorders to the V3 cams until I know if RTSP will be supported.

2 Likes

I’ve done the same. Didn’t even sign up for Cam Plus and will not order any additional devices until they make progress on this. Between cameras, plugs, lights, and security system I probably have 15-20 Wyse products.

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree! I just replaced a bunch of nest cameras in my house (yuck!) with Wyze, because of the much better value proposition and the ability to keep all of my video local (and not with google). I like the notification features of the app, and may even keep cam plus (the jury is out), but I have an ipad on my wall that I’d love to be able to stream ALL of my camera feeds to at the same time. Could do it with nest, but the WYZE app only lets you see one at a time, and is sideways on the ipad. I’m all for fixing those issues in the app as well, but they should support an industry standard so we aren’t stuck using only their app waiting on their developers fo implement new app features that are readily available in the market.

Since Wyze is selling hardware and giving away software, seems like it would make more sense to give the hardware a wider audience anyways.

3 Likes

I have been using the beta firmware 4.28.4.41 for the RTSP feature so i can record the video to local NAS. It would be great to see WYZE add this feature to the stock firmware and bring it to main stream.

4 Likes

Wish I would have checked the forums before subscribing to Cam Plus. Like nearly everyone else, I use RTSP on all my wyze cams and run them into Zoneminder DVR. I really would like Cam Plus on the cams I don’t always have a direct network connection to.

2 Likes

100% agree with this post. It should be something they can bake in with their architecture. Heck, I’d even support them stating only on v3+ cams if they committed to full featured RTSP.

I personally moved all to Dafang and couldn’t be happier…wish I didn’t need to go to the extreme but it’s made the cams solid for my infrastructure:

3 Likes

can we use dafang on wyze 3? I am so disappointed that I can’t use my wyze 3 cam.

2 Likes

We cannot yet to my knowledge…I’m holding off from any cam purchases until RTSP support exists.

1 Like

They are working on RTSP for the v3 I am told but there have been no release dates for it.

1 Like