Robot vacuum wheels have permanently stained my hardwood floors

I never thought to check until I stumbled upon this thread. Looks like mine does it too. I haven’t tried cleaning yet but here’s my MAC
7C78B20A0BA0

Can you provide the MAC address of your vacuum? Thanks

1 Like

MAC Address - 7C78B20A8921

Regards,
Robert

Just saw this thread and checked mine. I have dark hardwood floors, so haven’t noticed anything while the vacuum is undocked, but I just looked and there are some small smudges where the tires sit, no square tire marks. However, I can feel the residue when I rub the floor, and if I rub it hard enough with my finger or scrape it with my finger nail, it comes off.

I’ve had the vacuum in the same spot since February.

I finally tried the wd40. It lightened up the smudges, but they are still visible.
I will try rubbing alcohol next.
Survey filled.

UGH! Just came across this thread while looking for any new info with Alexa integration (I had been in vac beta). I had noticed some marks a week or so ago, but thought it might just be rubber from the wheels. My vac sits under a baby grand piano so I don’t typically walk right over where it docks.
Add me to the list. I have maple hardwood with water based poly. Haven’t attempted cleaning yet and don’t want to start WWIII so will wait for husband to go to work and will attempt your suggestions. (A finger rub and fingernail scrape did nothing)

MAC address: 7C78B20A7C4B

I LOVE my vac (and cameras and sensors and lights and band and cordless vac…etc)! Please fix this and find a solution to cleaning.
16346417975794080447434914597225|666x500

Just a theory, if the vacuum cleaner just sits in the same place on the hardwood floor for an extended time (turned off) will the tires/wheels leach something from their composition onto the surface of the floor OR is it required that there be movement of the tires/wheels on the hardwood floor to make the marks… Another possibility: is it possible that the vacuum is somehow activated to push against the charging station periodically during it’s off-cleaning time??

Agree on the Theory…The Petrolatum in the rubber is leaking the Oil/Rubber substance onto the Floor and Carpet. A Replacement of the wheels should be happening at this point. WYZE…Were are You !!!

For the longest time we couldn’t figure out these yellow/orange stains and how they got there. We’ve moved the vacuum around the house but it did stay there for an extended time. I figured it out by placing vacuum over stain and wheels fit perfectly. Then I started searching this forum. You’re the first to say it stained your carpet. We’ve tried everything to get it out…it’s totally stained.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Black stains on oak hardwood floor where the vacuum charges.

Mac number: 7C78B20A37C7

Have bought a silicone heat resistant mat so there will be no further damage to my floor. Would really love a solution to this issue.

Please report this to https://www.saferproducts.gov/IncidentReporting
I have not seen any response from Wyze with these issues on this form

I find it difficult to except the silence from Wyze

I am going to say that there is heat being consumed by the robot during charging. If such heat is not being isolated, it is making its way onto all connected metal parts. (Ie no heat sink). Which finds it way into the shaft of the wheels, the bearings and then heats up the wheels to melt. Or it has thick grease and the heat makes the grease start leeching, and drops down onto the floor. If the wheels have no flat spots, I will say the wheels are probably heat resistant to a point.

Probably the simplest test would be to touch or put a temp sensor on the wheels during charging. I for one would put the entire contraption on a large silicone heat resistant mat, including the charger so it will be level.

May I suggest cleaning with a wet magic eraser, bartenders. Probably subsurface. Will need to grind down the. Reseal with your sealer.

Anyone grinding down their wood floors and or replacing the carpet should be billing Wyze for a Defective product.

Conceptually, your suggestions make perfectly good sense however modern charging techniques seem to control heat much better than it used to. My question is why don’t other remote vacuums or robot vacuums if you will, have that same issue.?? Perhaps Wyze would be well advised to go back to the factory in China where these are made and do some research on the wheels and axles and what composition they are made from

1 Like

I believe there are consumer laws in the United States to protect the consumer from damage caused by a product that is openly marketed

My opinion is not the quality of the wheels, if they do not have flat spots, they are not melting right? Heat can be isolated via heat sinks, like the cpu in your computer and or the surround of an oven door being cold to the touch. I am not an engineer, but you can probably accomplish this with air gaps or using non heat conducting materials. I have no idea what is going on, but it does not seem the wheels being driven are causing the problem unless they are spinning at very high rpm’s for a prolonged period of time.

Since Wyze is hush hush…From the Many Unhappy and Many Posted Pictures let’s throw darts at the wall. Tires breaking down? Grease from the unit? This should be Reported anyway to https://www.saferproducts.gov/IncidentReporting

The spots are definitely from the wheels. Almost looks like “peeling out” tread marks, but has a greasy feel but not oily (slippery). It is not just where the unit sits…it encompasses the general vicinity of the charging station area. I have noticed that at times the vac seems to go around in circles while trying to “find the dock”. I have also noticed black marks in a couple of areas where the vac got hung up momentarily when transitioning from hardwoods to an oriental rug fringe. I was able to remove the majority of the marks on my maple floor with Bono floor cleaner and a LOT of elbow grease.,but no luck on my beige rug.
~Someone mentioned the wheels being flat. Mine are treaded and soft rubber-like material over hard plastic.