Reset camera after it goes offline.

Periodically one or more of my cameras goes offline, and I have to unplug it then plug it in again to reset it. I’m planning to go on vacation, and will be gone for 3 weeks. Is there a way to reset the camera remotely so I don’t have to have a neighbor stop over to reset the camera?

1 Like

smart outlet.

Good idea. I’ve though about that, but the smart outlets (and I use a number of them) would exceed the price of the camera. I tried resetting the WiFi modem and router, but that didn’t work. It would be great if I could reset the camera remotely.

1 Like

I have the same problem a few times a week. Makes the cameras kind of worthless as a security measure.

It would be great if Wyze could add a firmware update that allows a camera status to be checked and reset or rebooted if it is offline, or allow the user to initiate. There’s a similar function that can wake up computers and install updates, and hopefully it’s aplicable with t Wyze camera and the company can implement it.

I too tried rebooting the router which I can do remotely and it doesn’t reboot the camera. Installing a smart outlet is and expensive and complicated workaround and handling the drop in service should be handled with the Wyze equipment.

Thanks for posting this question and I look forward to any developments on this.

2 Likes

Why does the camera go offline? I was ready to order more but realized that the camera in our weekend house is offline more than on. When on, it’s great! When off, it’s, well, useless. And frustrating! If it’s gonna go offline for some reason, it’s critical to be able to get it back up.

7 Likes

I just had a package delivered to my house and both my cameras are offline which defeats my purpose of getting them. I can’t get them to reconnect 1/3 of the time.

4 Likes

If you folks aren’t in the beta program. I would do so. The last few updates have worked much more reliably

1 Like

Is your camera’s IP address static? I wonder if dynamic IP addresses cause the sudden offline issue…

Is anyone still having this issue?
I’ve got 3 v2 cams and 1 CamPan.
Just started to use these little gems.
Though didnt face this issue yet, but eager to know if this bug was fixed or still lingering around. :slight_smile:

Have you tried going into “Device Settings” and selecting “Restart Device”? My understanding is that IoT commands are separate from the Livestream. This has worked for me quite a few times on several of my cameras.

Well, after posting, my post, i did face this issue, with my testing the v2 cam for a full day.
The error that i got was: “Please try to exit app and retry” But exiting/force closing the app didnt help, and i kept receiving same error.

I tried to restart the camera from within the app, as you mentioned, but though the app said, successfully restarted the camera, but in reality, nothing happened on the camera. I was issuing the command to restart from the app while the cam in front of me, and it did not power cycle.

I checked from my router settings, and it showed the camera as connected. So, the cam was still connected to wifi at this point.

So given above findings im not sure if this was an app issue or actuall cam somehow disconnected from wyze servers?(as noted, my router showed, the cam actively being connected, cam->router connection was ok)

Are you still having this issue? If so,…

Here’s the connectivity troubleshooting guide:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012903431-Connectivity-issues

If that doesn’t solve it, keep in mind that this is primarily a user-to-user forum. If you don’t get help here from the community, file a support ticket, preferably from within the app while the bad camera is selected. That will ensure that the logs are captured. You might want to submit the ticket right away because there’s somewhat of a backlog. You can always let them know it’s already resolved when they contact you.

1 Like

i am having a similar issue with my second home have 3 cameras and i put a timer that turns off one of the cameras in the middle of the night for 1 hour and that ensures that the camera will re connect , so for the last week that i have not been able to see the other 2 cameras They are off line and won’t automatically re-connect until i power them down and re power them. it seems that they need to put a auto reset/reboot feature to solve this or a re scan wifi signal .
it also seems that if i loose power the camera also need to be re booted after the router connects to the internet.

I have 13 of these so far. 11 at one site, and 2 at another.
The 11 at the first site need to be restarted periodically. I am able to restart them through the app and then can log into the camera. Since i CAN restart them one by one through the app, clearly some part of the connectivity is working. Any pointers?

Same here. Two Wyze cameras. When they are wrongfully unplugged they can’t be restarted remotely. They MUST be setup once again. The solution of “restart the device” on the app is BS. It returns the camera failed to restart. However when it’s setup fresh manually it obviously goes back online. And no there is nothing wrong with the cameras. That’s why the camera costs less than a proper CCTV hard wired camera. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Wyze is still very much a work in progress until they get that sorted.

4 Likes

Removed by me.

Appears this is still an issue with Wyze Cam V2. I have a cam that has been going offline randomly with network very stable always 85% or higher signal, fixed channel (changed not help) and all the other tips for helping connectivity issues. Still the cams go offline when ever they want. App reset did not help and router reset does not help. Have to physically drop power to the cameras. They connect as normal and stay up for days before randomly dropping offline. Seems to happen when we disconnect the android wyze app wifi and go for a bike ride. Maybe Wyze tries to keep a push connection open and the app no longer communicated with the cameras? Cameras have not been triggering motion events lately when expected. Well outside of the 5 min cool down. Last event was triggered perfectly but when I went to view the sd playback it truncated the end of the video 11 seconds early so the event showed the person but the playback recording only showed the person for 1 frame. Seems like the latest version app & firmware are not up to primetime. Several tickets to Wyze support no help yet. Logs sent. Anyone have an idea to try???

My God! How many threads have to do with cameras and sensors going offline? Has Wyze ever acknowledged the problem? @UserCustomerGwen

I must be missing something because I do not see how Wyze expects to stay in business without paying more attention to customers and early adopters. Just an acknowledgement of a problem would be appreciated. I guess it would be too much to see a list of open issues.

Hello, @lbeck37. There will be many threads of stuff going wrong but that’s mostly because of people seeking help in those situations while people with devices functioning as expected are far less likely to post. We do have a list of known issues that we’re working on. We just sent out a new update so I’m asking if we have an update for it since we’ve now had time to collect feedback from the new app and firmware updates. The last update to the page was less than a month ago. I know that the Android lagging issues have been greatly improved with this week’s app update.

Are you having difficulty with your Wyze devices? If so, have you contacted our customer support team? I can draw attention to a ticket for you if you have one open.

4 Likes

Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2 camera. Tryed to exchange 1 but no change with the new…
Got à ring device and works perfectly on same network…