Pan Cam - Suggestions for motion tracking

For the pan:

1. (Motion tracking with motion detection zone ) Ability to control how long the camera remains in its position after detecting motion before going back to home. Often it will follow the motion source, but the motion will stop for a few seconds and continue, but by then the camera has already returned home and cannot see the object anymore.

2. Ability to control the amount of travel that the pan uses when detecting motion- that is if it sees motion moving left on the screen it usually jumps way further left than needed and bounces back and forth. - in the same idea, the ability to control how ā€˜hardā€™ the camera tries to center the motion, often the motion will move around the viewing area but moving the camera is not necessary- but the camera tries to center the motion so much that it is constantly moving.

[Mod Edit]: Strikethrough item #2. Please refer to, vote for and/or comment on: Direction/Motion Limits For Wyze Cam Pan Tracking.

[Mod Edit]: Title modified to enhance search clarity.

Welcome to the forums!

The first one I agree with. Possibly done with a small cool off period of like 30 seconds to a minute or even 15 seconds. This would be nice. Even with the case that my pans are static right now but there so that I can look around the room if need be.

The second one I dont know so much. Because I like the idea that the camera focuses on the motion in the center so that the object is always being followed. Yes it does make the camera move more. But I believe thats what makes the camera awesome. It tracks the motion automatically. Its never going to be smooth tracking I dont think because you would need a human to do that kind of work. Of course these being IP cameras and not linked to a hot desk where you can control them there will always be a slight delay in the speed and the command. I dont know how fixable this would be to have a smooth camera movement to keep the object in view. Plus the camera itself uses the lighting changes to tell the motion. So it has to stop for a second or two and wait to register more motion.

I have this problem. Here is an example of it going back and forth trying to keep something that is slightly off-center in center. They need to smooth out the motion tracking and make it not try as hard to keep it centered.

Also, here is an example of it catching motion at night, then ending up looking at a wall because of the IR lights bugging out.

3 Likes

I have my camera set up with 3 pan scan way points and using motion detection at the same time. Problem is when motion is detected the pan action still occurs on schedule. If the motion event is in zone 1 I lose sight of it when the camera pans to zone 2.

Iā€™d love to see some type of intelligent pan/motion detection during motion events. Even momentarily stopping the pan scan during motion events (toggle option?) would be very helpful.

2 Likes

Tracking subject feature causes camera to turn super fast, too farā€¦ Instead of estimating how far it needs to turn to keep subject near center of frameā€¦ And then only move if they are on outermost 20% of frame. Too much moving (and fast moving) causes the video to be worthless. In fact, it should move more slowly so even footage in motion is still useful.

Maybe a pro version of the camera could have 360 IR sensors so camera knows when to do a 180 to get subject in view (otherwise subject wouldnā€™t have been noticed as not currently in frame as motion).

Lastly It needs to play nicer with Pan Scan. If motion is captured during a Pan Scan, it should go into Motion Tracking modeā€¦ and once motion is gone, back to pan scan. (another situation where 360 IR sensors would be amazing)

7 Likes

I agree that the constant re-centering is annoying. Iā€™m thinking that there should be a centering ā€œzoneā€ that triggers the camera tracking and re-centering when the movement goes out of the zone. That zone could be almost the entire view.

The jerking around issue seems like it could be solved with the software determining a concentration of movement that is in view, and then activating the motor with a ramp up and ramp down, so that the motion tracking is a little more smooth.

What if the detection zone was inverted in a way where instead of the camera instantly moving to look at objects inside the zone, it only triggers for objects outside a certain area? It looks like the camera tries to constantly center a moving object and then overcorrects itself, if instead it only tried to center on objects around the edge of its line of sight, it might help cut down on the jerky motion and constant adjustments. Edit: just realized someone else already suggested this above.

Can we get better motion tracking? RN its way to jittery and making too many micro adjustments. Maybe user controlled sensitivity?

TY,

NODA5

New Feature Request - Motion Tracking Adjustment

The motion tracking feature in the Pan cam is a great feature, but the only problem is that it excessively tracks the source of the movement and causes the camera to excessively pan to the source of the motion. This excessive panning causes blurred video every time the camera pans. A motion tracking adjustment feature would function like this: The camera would move to initially pan to the source of the movement, centering it in the field of view. Then it would only pan again to recenter the source of movement when the object moving was about to move out of frame and no longer be viewable. This would eliminate all the blurred video that the Pan Cam currently with excessive motion tracking. This motion tracking adjustment feature would give the user the ability to adjust the percentage or amount of movement away from the initial trigger source before it would pan again and re-center the next motion captured.

1 Like

I love the motion tracking feature on the Pan Cam. It works really well during the day.

However, at night, itā€™ll sometimes work and others not. Itā€™s often followed me taking out the trash on the side of the house, but then doesnā€™t follow me back to the front door.

So it leaves the camera pointed off in some obscure direction, completely away from my driveway and front door where it will be most useful.

I would love to be able to schedule motion tracking. Turn on during the day, and off at night.

Thank you!

1 Like

Pan Cam: Suspend return to detection zone or home position during live streaming

When you have detection zone set for a wyze pan, it returns to its home position after no motion is detected for like 10 seconds right, thatā€™s good (though it would be cool to be able to change the amount of time)
But when you are in live view looking through the camera and you move it to watch something it will try to keep going to home, so you have to keep moving it. The ability to have the camera not move when in live view would be much better

[Mod Note]: Your topic, associated replies and votes were merged to this #wishlist request for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar requests.

When I am viewing the live feed, after 15 seconds, the camera repositions itself to the detection zone. I understand why this feature is there in general, but it seems like the camera/app should recognize when I am live viewing and not reposition. Only after I close the live feed should the camera go back to the detection zone.

OR

Add the ability to disable the reposition while viewingā€¦maybe a button above the camera/picture button? Then when the feed is closed it would automatically turn the detection zone/repositioning back on.

It is just frustrating when I am watching something on the live feed and it moves my view.

1 Like

@spencerldean, I have moved your question to the relevant #wishlist topic. You can vote for it at the top-left. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have a pan cam that monitors a very complex aquarium setup at a home that I am not able to get to very often. I frequently use it to check up on equipment which I can manipulate via computer. when not in use I prefer the camera be pointed at the door to the ā€œfish roomā€ to capture anyone that enters. however it seems to just return to the home position (the door) only seconds after I stop moving it. I like that it returns to the home position but I would like it to do so after about 1 min of inactivity. it says its supposed to wait 15 seconds at the moment but in reality its 1-2 seconds.

1 Like

Welcome back, @DPUTT88. I have moved your topic to the relevant #wishlist thread. Please vote for it at the top-left. (I have voted for this, as well.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my camera locations is rural and has a very slow connection based on typical standards. My problem is when I pan, the APP or camera timeout, begins its countdown to return to its home position. I donā€™t even get an update on my phone before the camera has already returned to home. Please provide a setting so the timeout to return to home position can be set by user to up to 99 seconds, or longer. Or alternately make the APP use 99 seconds as a default.

Please provide a setting so the timeout to return to home position can be set by user or have it return to predesignated detection zone only after you exit the manual pan manipulation screen.

3 Likes

Request to temporarily override the 15 second ā€œreturn to detection zoneā€ position when the Detection zone is enabled on PTZ Cam-Pan cameras.

This would be useful when viewing a live stream as quite often, with a PTZ, a user may want to ā€œcheck inā€ and pan around for more than the 15 seconds currently allowed before the camera automatically returns to itā€™s ā€œdetection zoneā€ position.

I suggest either a way to customize the timeout so that it could be set to not return for up to 5 minutes, and/or a toggle button (perhaps with a visible countdown) on the streaming screen that allows overriding this.

Currently, motion detection has to be turned off then back on again which is ā€œawkardā€ā€¦

1 Like

I would like to see a position hold button on the pan cam. Sometimes I like to direct the camera to another ocation other than the detection zone. This would allow you to bypass the set detection zone 15 sec return until you shut the hold off. This could be programmed to the center of the direction buttons.