Outdoor Cam, is Battery User Replaceable

So I’m just getting around to setting up my Outdoor Cam. The first thing I did was to fully recharge the battery as suggested. I then left the cam in the off-state. Several days later I turned on the cam and set it up. The battery then showed 70%.

So am I understanding this correcly. This cam operates 24 hr in the ‘motion-sense’ state, I assume with the IR diodes illuminated at night, and the battery lasts 6 months??? I don’t think so. Based on my experience so far it might last 2 weeks.

Regarding the life of the battery(s), I assume these are NiMh cells as opposed to lithium as the later doesn’t fair well in extreme temps and would probably be rectangular as opposed to multiple cylindrical cells. Applications of NiMh cells in a similar environment might include solar powered walk lights. These generally have a practical life of 1 year, perhaps 2 with reduced capacity.

They are LiPo (Polymer) cells. They look to be flat rectangular cells.
WYZE Cam battery

Every product has an audience of certain affordability. People that can’t afford to pay the higher prices of professional grade security appliances look to a secondary market of products they can afford and in my opinion Wyze is appealing to that market. Quite a few people buy cameras that fit their budget to monitor their possessions, this does not mean they are not serious about security, it is what is affordable. No doubt they will sell a lot of their product to people that are just buying it for a novelty item but there will be those, probably more than you realize, that will buy it with Hope’s of them working as advertised. This just happens to be a product that Wyze built that will more than likely not fulfill their needs or desires. Four days of usage I am down 7% of battery with only 4 triggers while not using tbe IR. At this rate in 60 days the unit will very close to needing a charge. This is not close to the 3-6 months with 10-20 hits per day. I had Hope’s of this being close to what was advertised based off of their other products but I am afraid I will not be able to depend on this for anything serious and will go back go a wired pan unit. Not everyone can afford serious equipment with serious prices. Maybe they will bring some upgrades to this unit in the future or I image a lot of them will make it to ebay.

1 Like

These appear to be the batteries used based on a tear down.

That’s the group I fall into. I’m not terribly disappointed with WYZE shortcomings because I can still connect to a distant camera and view whatever it’s pointed at. That was all I expected for the price.
I didn’t buy the WCO because by last November I saw that it had gone way off track from what I wanted.

1 Like

How dare you inject a calmed reasoned opinion into a nicely bubbling feud! :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe this group includes them, but don’t forget the Legion of Inveterate Tinkerers. :hammer_and_wrench:

I like Wyze cams because they are cheap enough to do all sorts of interesting experiments with and not lose any sleep if a bunch of them get destroyed.
:grinning:

3 Likes

Count me in :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Unconscionable! One does not just inject rationality into public discourse… You must invigorate the conversation, the use of colorful metaphors is encouraged even!

1 Like

Balderdash. Poppycock.

3 Likes

I think I’m going to order an extra camera since the camera only is going to be $40. That way I’ll have one to swop out between the other two for charging. At least that’s my plan. So far the two WCO’s are working great.

I have had my camera a year and it lasted 3 weeks to start and now the battery lasts about a week. I wish the battery was replaceable. It is becoming not worth using. It is updating firmware daily and I’m not happy with it.

discussing the “battery” in the OTC, mine wont take a charge at all, just a year old and had been charged and recharged at least 3 times during that time frame. NOW wont even take any charge
using every method to charge it. So , is it the battery pack ? or circuit ? had been outside in a covered area so had reasonable protection from elements. Wyze has honored warranty and replaced. BUT can it be savaged ?

The battery is not replaceable. I have had the V1 outdoor cam for just under two years. I noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life in about 10-12 months. Initially, the battery lasted about a month. However, before the year mark, all cameras dramatically decreased to only 2-3 days. Now, at about 16-20 months they need to remain plugged in at all times because the batter only lasts 8-12 hours. I hate it, but considering the low cost, I still think I got my money’s worth before they quit being useful as a wireless camera.

Search the forum and look above in this thread, there are disassembly instructions from a user, the battery can be changed but not easily.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look for that.

Here is the link to the innards. I posted it in this thread back in 2020.

https://fccid.io/2ANJHWVOD1/Internal-Photos/Int-Photos-4685674

2 Likes

Hey @angus.black , where the heck have you been. :slight_smile:

Been lurking around your house. Didn’t you see me on camera? :slight_smile:

I bought my first V3 and 2 for my sister. They work great. I like the wider FoV and the night vision.

Me too, on the Home Depot deal. I’m not sure how I feel about the FOV since I don’t have them mounted yet and I might lose detail in the area I care about. But the night color is indeed impressive.

Also, could you at least close the gate next time?

1 Like

My Wyze Cam Outdoor v1 was used for a total of about 2 weeks (maybe less), then not used for just over 1 1/2 years… now it’s dead… as in the battery will no longer charge. :frowning:

Since I have nothing to lose and an equivalent replacement battery (7.4v, 2600 mAh) equals about 1/3 the cost of a new camera, I have taken apart the camera to look at re-wiring the cam to run directly off 5v USB power.

4 Likes