Notification sound change won't stick

Made the mistake of reinstalling the app because, since the last update, my slow camera loading problem had come back. That made the notification sound revert to Wyze Sound 1, which is maddening. I changed it to System Default, which is a nice subtle quiet click, and it didn’t take. So I changed it to Sound 2, and Sound 3, and back and forth again, and it keeps playing Sound 1, even though the setting claims it’s set to System Default. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a cruel joke?

For some reason, I have experienced something similar. I have found that going into Device Info, by long pressing the app icon on your Android device, you can select Notifications and then change the sound of each notification type.

What I’ve found is that recent app versions (I’m looking at version 3.14.0.807 on Android 16 right now) won’t play any of the Wyze sounds, and I have Wyze Sound 2 selected in the app at Account ➜ Notifications ➜ Push Notifications ➜ Notification Sound. I have attempted to change the notification sound setting here, but it has no apparent effect.

When I navigate at the OS level to the Wyze app’s App info ➜ Notifications and expand Other under Notification categories, I’m seeing things like “Wyze Sound 1 / About 34 notifications per day” and “Wyze Sound 2 / About 69 notifications per day”. If I tap Wyze Sound 1 its Sound is listed as “Default notification sound” instead of the expected “App provided sound”. I see the same thing if I navigate back to the previous screen and tap Wyze Sound 2.

My non-developer guess at this point is that they’re mucking with Android notification channels but not doing it in a way that makes sense to the end user and almost certainly not as requested in the Wishlist. It feels like they’ve hosed something, so as Android users we can no longer use the sounds they created for their app as our notification sounds, and we’re left with choosing something else to make our notifications stand out from other noise. I like that Android users seem to have choice with this for apps in general on that OS, but I’d like to be able to choose the actual app-provided Wyze Sounds for these particular notifications again.

Thanks. When I go in that way, I don’t find anything about changing sound types.

Thanks. My app version is 3.15.0.876. When I go into Settings/Apps/Wyze/App info/Notifications, I don’t have an Other choice there. Sound and vibration is just an on/off toggle.

I’m getting to it thru the Wyze app, then Account/Notifications/Push Notifications/Notification Sound. That gives me the choice of System Default or Wyze Sound 1, 2 or 3. It shows as set to System Default, but it keeps chirping with Wyze Sound 1.

I believe this varies depending on Android version, and I think different phone manufacturers also make modifications to Android that affect what’s exposed to an end user. That’s why I explicitly mentioned my Android version earlier, and I probably also should’ve mentioned that this is on a Google Pixel 6.

On a Motorola moto g⁷ running Android 10 and Wyze app 3.15.0.876, when I open the Wyze app’s App info ➜ Notifications I immediately see the “Wyze Sound 1”, “Wyze Sound 2”, “WyzeMessage”, and “General” channels listed. There is no section labeled “Notification categories” with Other to tap and expand.

Wyze App v 3.17.0 (904 ) on Android 16 Samsung S23 Ultra

I have ‘set’ the alert/notification tone for my main 2 cameras using Account \ Notifications \ Push Notifications \ Notification Sound \ Wyze Sound 3 I believe this was the original ( long ago ) default.

And TODAY the SAVE CHANGES button is colored Green and turns gray after I select it. Prior to today that SAVE CHANGES button was gray and well… now its not. So I select the Wyze Sound 3 and hit SAVE CHANGES, button turns gray. But notifications when I walk into the detection zone is still ‘System Default’.

In the S23 Settings \ Apps \ Wyze , Notifications says ‘Allowed’ and if I touch Notifications nothing there allows me to change the notification tone.

Has anyone been able to get the ‘custom’ selection to work, i.e. for the Wyze tones to become what the app does?

Gerry-

Okay, this is goofy.

I’m currently using two phones:

  • Motorola moto g⁷ running Android 10 and Wyze app v3.17.0.904
  • Google Pixel 6 running Android 16 and Wyze app v3.16.0.890

My typical preference for Wyze app notifications is to have  Account ➜ Notifications ➜ Push Notifications ➜ Notification Sound ➜ Wyze Sound 2 selected, but today I changed it to Wyze Sound 3 on the moto and then stepped in front of a Cam v4 to trigger an event and notification. After I did that, I found that both phones were playing Wyze Sound 3 for their notification sound, and then, for whatever reason, the moto would play Wyze Sound 2 a few seconds later.

When I changed the setting in the Wyze app on the moto back to Wyze Sound 2 and triggered another event/notification, the moto made the Wyze Sound 2 sound and the Pixel made the Android default notification sound.

I don’t know what’s going on or how to explain this, but I think the developers have been mucking around with notifications (and Android notification channels) in recent app versions, and this is not behaving in the way that I’d expect. This is pure speculation on my part as a non-developer.

This sounds pretty much like what I’m experiencing. I’m on Galaxy S24+, Android v16 , app v3.17.0.904.

Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of uninstalling and reinstalling the app, in hopes of fixing the slow camera loading issue that came back with the latest app update. Before that reinstall, I got the system default sound for all Wyze notifications, just as I had set it. After the reinstall, it went to Wyze Sound 1 and won’t give it up. Like you, sometimes if I set it to Sound 2 or 3, or the system default (which I have set to a nice quiet click), it will kinda sorta recognize it but not really. Sometimes it will notify with both sounds, but sooner or later it ends up back on Wyze 1 (which is really kinda annoying and obtrusive). Mind you, it says it’s set to system default or Wyze 2 or whatever I set it on, but it keeps playing Wyze 1 regardless.

Given that it was reinstalling that broke it, maybe reinstalling again will unbreak it. I’ll try that when I get a chance.

I might also try reinstalling[1] the Wyze app on the Pixel 6 at some point. I haven’t made that a priority and noticed this funky behavior—changing the selected in-app notification sound on one phone affects the notification sound on another phone—only today, so I’m not sure what to make of that at all. I’ve seen other reports of funky notification sound behavior recently, and my hope is that eventually Wyze will figure this out and make proper use of Android notification channels, but at this point I’d say that app notification sounds are not at all behaving in the way that I’d expect.


  1. uninstall ➜ reboot ➜ install ➜ reboot ↩︎

Didn’t work. I did uninstall ➜ reboot ➜ install ➜ reboot, and it came back up with Notification Sound set to System Default (my soft click), but in fact what it played was Wyze 1 again. So I tried changing it to Wyze 3, and then it played Wyze 3 all right, but then about 8 seconds later, it also played Wyze 1. Switched to System Default, it played the soft click and then 8 seconds later Wyze 1. Set to Wyze 2, same behavior. Hmm, one thing I haven’t tried is setting it to Wyze 1. Stand by.

OK here we go—I set it to Wyze 1, now it plays Wyze 1 but plays it twice, once immediately and once again 8 seconds later. So I think that redefines the problem. It’s not that the notification sound setting is not sticking—it is. But no matter what it’s set to, it also plays Wyze 1 about 8 seconds after the first sound.

What subscription (if any) are you using?

I think at least part of my experience is because of the Cam Unlimited Pro subscription I’m using, where, for a given event, I receive an initial notification on the moto that plays the selected Wyze Sound and then several second later have a “replacement” notification (the Descriptive Alert) that plays Wyze Sound 2, regardless of what I have selected in the app. I believe that’s what accounts for my second notification and sound on that phone.

It’s still not what I expect, though, and I have no idea what, if anything, they’re doing to address it or if they’re even aware that it’s an annoyance.

Interesting—I’m on regular Cam Unlimited, so I don’t think I have Descriptive Alerts. But I see one of the listed “Benefits” of Cam Unlimited is “Smart Modes - Set your notifications preferences while you’re Home or Away.” Where would those settings live?

And it’s definitely an annoyance. I see you’re a Forum Moderator—don’t you know a guy, or a guy that knows a guy?

Maybe the Monitoring tab? I almost never use that tab and haven’t explored all its options because I’ve thought that a lot of stuff available there is related to the Home Monitoring Service. That’s probably where I’d look or maybe poke around on the Wyze Support site to see if more information about it is there.

Whatever Smart Modes is, it’s something I apparently haven’t used, as I tend to manage my notifications settings manually or with Automations, depending on what I want to do.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted a direct line to a particular Product Manager or other Wyze employee to address a specific concern, but that’s not really how it works for us lowly volunteers. We do have processes for trying to pass some things up the chain, but it’s not always the most efficient means of communicating user concerns, and often even when something is resolved we’re not really told about it.

Well thank you for your service all the same. Cheers.

And when you do that, does it work? And do you just get the one sound you set when it alerts?

But I don’t get a notification sound setting when I go into App Info that way (or any other way). I am using Nova Launcher, wonder if that makes a difference? Can’t imagine why it would.

Yes I do. There are occasions where one of the sounds don’t seem to be available. You know this by going into App Info and going through each of the navigations and tapping on the sound option and see if the sound exists. Mine indicated that there was no sound. I selected a sound from my phone and I was able to hear it.

I also beta tests apps and once the new beta app came out, my sounds were available again.

But bottom line and to test, go to the notification area in Device Info, select Notifications and the categories. Then set a different sound for the select option and see if it alerts then

Hmm. I don’t have Notifications under Device Info. I have it under Settings, i.e., same menu level as Device Info. And under Notifications there I have only basically on/off and choose events, nothing about selecting a notification sound. My only access to notification sound selection, AFAIK, is under Account/Notifications/Push Notifications/Notification Sound. And there I get the choice of either System Default or Wyze 1, 2 or 3.

Not within the app, long press the Wyze App Icon and select Info. From within that location you can set the Notification information. Here are some pics, using the default Launcher:

I don’t have all that, either with the Nova launcher or with the Samsung One UI launcher. Maybe it’s a Samsung limitation of some sort? Crease do you have those screens?