Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

I think that most cameras are affected the same way, your solution may not be the prettiest but most certainly is effective

By “may not be the prettiest” your referring to the appearance of the foil?
The pictures below are daytime views of the foiled porch light. The foil has been straightened.

Victor.

Hello, did you try to use warm or soft light rather than day light white?

Hello buyatcraig.
No l didn’t. Initially I didn’t want to buy anything, but i think I’ll give it a try.
Thanks.
Victor Maletic.

Victor I was just trying to fluff your feathers up a little bit I think it’s a great solution and it provides what you need and that’s the only important thing

How did you know I had feathers?

1 Like

Well there are definite downsides to adding tinfoil and thus enhancing a picture Vic. :star_struck: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am just know getting around to try your idea after being disappointed by the purchase of WCO…can you advise which wires are the power one to connect before motion? I am headed to Lowes to buy floodlights. Thanks first time messing with electrical so a little lost.

Hi Crispy

How is the sound affected in the enclosure? I’m worried because the box I put my V2 in almost makes the sound from the camera unhearable.

thanks

These are the best ones because the cam remains accessible without the tiny screws holding the one with the sealed housing together. The black v2 cam will not fit in the white accessible housing. Make sure what you are ordering. I have had my non-exterior cams outside in upstate NY for a few winters now without any problem. Any problems I’ve had are just inherent in the v2 cams.

you know what Angus. I’m glad I was able to find this post because I just think I have to get another special bulb; meaning, my light fixture is a dusk to dawn light fixture so I can just put any bulb in but I just now put my v2 outside to connect to that fixture but It keeps going off line and I think it’s because I have the fixture set to dusk to dawn which means I have to always have it on; so my question to you is what kind of bulb do I use to be able to keep my light fixture set to dusk to dawn without interruption of the camera? would these bulbs work?

I’m going to switch the camera to the v3 when I receive it

If the fixture is set to Dusk to Dawn it is always going to turn off at dawn. The bulb isn’t going to make a difference.
Is there a setting on the fixture to have it on all of the time?

I bought a dusk to dawn bulb and it works. I installed it about 3 pm and still had the fixture set to dusk to dawn , had no issues since .

1 Like

Wasserstein 4-in-1 Floodlight, Charger, Mount and Outdoor Case Compatible with Wyze Cam - Turn Your Wyze Cam into a Powerful Outdoor Floodlight (White) (Wyze Cam NOT Included) Amazon.com

Nice. I don’t really want that at my front door but it would be good in the proper location.

you are right Angus, My light keeps flickering and I think it’s because the bulb can’t recognize when it’s light out. I have my dusk to dawn light fixture on my porch and it’s covered. So I am going to get these wifi bulbs, that would be a better option you said because I can control when it goes off and on; somewhat of a pain because that just another app to install, lol

Hold on there. If you have dusk to dawn that means that they stay ON while is dark outside so if your current light fixture is not helping your camera that I doubt a smart bulb will make a any difference unless you were to get brighter ones or floodlights.

If you need smart bulbs though, the Wyze bulbs are good too and you can control them using the same app and even schedule events such as have them go on when a camera detects sound/motion.

This is great. I’m wondering if tinting with spray or film will make the look of it better.

1 Like

Hi. I have my camera installed facing my front door and I can see my fixture when I open the app. I am at work right now so I open my app every once in a while due to notifications; I have the app opened and it’s 11:16 east time and I see that my light is still on but it flickers every now and ten. I’m thinking the flickering has to do with when I installed the bulb, I have the sensor off to the side instead of facing the front. could that be the reason for it flickering? if not, I will get the wyze bulb because I want to stick with everything wyze, hopefully I can anyway.

You cannot use multiple dusk-to-dawn devices like that.

If you have both a bulb and a fixture it just won’t work. When it gets dark the fixture will turn on which in turn lights the bulb. The bulb goes on and the fixture now thinks it’s light out so it turns off shutting off power to the bulb. Now it’s dark again and the fixture turns on which turns on the bulb and the cycle repeats over, and over, and over, and over… causing the ‘flickering’ that you see.

Use either a dusk-to-dawn bulb or fixture but not both.

Edit: I’ve even had the same type of ‘flickering’ when I put a LED bulb in a dusk-to-dawn night light. The LED bulb was too bright and caused the fixture to think it was no longer dark causing the same type of on/off/on/off/… cycling.