Installing WYZE Cam outside - one approach

I am so lazy. Really? Tell us how lazy are you. My newspaper delivery person is great. They always put my morning paper in the long plastic newspaper box/tube attached to the side of my garage. I have the open end facing the house so I can see (most of the time) if the paper is here. The newspaper delivery person is has to get out of their truck and put the paper in box since the opening faces away from the street, But I thought it would be nice to get an alert when its here. So, I took one of the old Wyze motion sensor and with velcro mounted it 90 degrees facing the other side of the box at the closed end of the box. When the paper is inserted, there is just enough motion to trigger an alert. But because it does not face enough toward the opening, walking by it does not trigger the alert. Perfect. But wouldn’t it be nice to also have a camera in there? So, I opened tv cable distribution junction box under where the newspaper box is mounted… I measured and drilled through the back of the box and into my garage. Added a Wyze wifi plug and Wyze camera adapter to a close by outlet. Fed the Wyze camera cable thru the hole and out the front of the tv cable distro box, under the newspaper box and along the underside where it comes up to an opening on the bottom of the closed end of the newspaper box. Then mounted the new Wyze V3 spotlight on a Wyze V3 camera and using a piece of velco stuck the camera at the end of the closed end of the box. Fed the Wyze cam cable down thru the opening and plugged the cable into the cam pigtail. Bingo !

Now, I get an alert when the paper arrives. I can open the Wyze or call out to Alexa Show or Nest Hub to show me the Box Cam and see what video detection recorded coming out my gate from my front porch. And a mounted hidden Wyze camera outside at the street facing the house with a spotlight I can turn on whenever needed. The V3’s night vision is so darn good though, I don’t even need the spot. Wow. All for $30.

3 Likes