Hub is offline. Please Reconnect

Yes, exactly! Except for not being able to change ANYTHING on the Hub page, the Home Monitoring system seems to work just fine!! In fact, I know this since several defective v2 Motion Sensors have triggered alarms justifying Noonlight having to contact me and ask if I want them to call the police–false alarms, thank goodness!!

1 Like

Let us know if they send you a replacement hub without charge and if this fixes the problem(s). A number of users have indicated that it is an issue caused by the most recent firmware update and that they do not offer a rollback to earlier firmware and we have just been stuck in limbo for the past several weeks!! Perhaps the new hub will contain earlier firmware??11

1 Like

I believe this is due to a firmware update.

That is my understanding, Tedd.

I called and got a replacement hub. Had to reinstall the hub and all the sensors since the MAC changed. Even connected hub directly to the router via ethernet.

I did an update to the latest version. 4.32.9.249
This was on the 14th of May. My subscription renewed on the 15th. All good until today the 17th. Left the house, using the keypad to set system to AWAY.

When I returned, I went to disarm using the app, and the hub and all it’s little sensors were in that infamous state of ‘offline’.

If it’s a firmware issue, roll the firmware back to the version where this is not occuring. Being an old engineer, working on a lot of embedded systems, that was the credo we followed when bugs were encountered.

Is it really that hard to roll back an update?

So, right now I’m trying to reset the hub, and re-add it. Everything works until it gets to finishing setup. Not sure what gets attempted at that stage but it ain’t working and not completing the setup.

Frustrating to say the least. And can’t send logs since the device is reset each time. And can’t collect a log until it’s connected. Catch 22

2 Likes

I agree, Cliff, and for the life of me I do not know why Wyze is stalling on fixing this, or at least offering a rollback to the firmware. I have the same version firmware on my hub, and although I cannot control the Volume nor the status lights, my security system otherwise appears to work just fine (save for the “Hub is Offline. Please reconnect” message. A perfect example of how a roll back (my example here is software, not firmware, but it accomplishes basically the same thing) relates to my video editing software. Upon a software update, I was greeted with a requestor box stating, “HandlePIChanges”. I don’t know what this means, but it kept popping up as I attempted to work and rendered the app unusable. Today I rolled it back two software builds and it works like a champ–go figure! I don’t know and don’t really care what caused the problem (no one on the video forums knows what this error is, even the developers), but the bottom line is that I am back in business and that’s all that really matters! So too is the case with your equipment! So come on, Wyze, [Mod Edit] or get off the pot!!

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

2 Likes

how does one reset to factory setting?

Holding for any length of time doesn’t seem to to a hard reset, rather the firmware stays at the same level.
Seems the update at xx.xx.xx.177 was a ‘rework’ of the connection logic, Totally borked since then,

Whenever I contact support it’s a bunch of people from the phillipines. they just shuffle me around to different tech who are useless.

As I have learned from @WildBill in another topic, a hard reset only resets all the previously saved settings, it will not revert the firmware. There is no Factory Reset for the hub.

There is no known way to revert the firmware unless it is released by Wyze and pushed thru the app UI. Because this is a critical security device, it is probably that way by design.

The reversion to the older firmware for you was when it arrived in the mail with the factory FW on it. It was the update that killed it.

Your situation is an absolutely perfect example of why Wyze would benefit from programming a factory reset “Auto Flash” sequence into the Hub. With the high probability of FW updates bricking hubs given Wyze’s update history, it would be highly beneficial for Wyze to simply instruct users to reset to a safe operating state while they work on fixing issues.

Yes, Wyze took those billions in investor money to improve customer service and outsourced it to the Philippines… Epic Fail.

1 Like

It also seems that with their new camera protection system they’re trying to say that systems like the wise sense hub are obsolete.

1 Like

However I don’t like the fact of having cameras inside my house

1 Like

I think it’s just an alternative for those who don’t want the classic sensor system install. The cams are most likely for placement at home entries rather than inside.

I have heard though that the Friendly Faces facial recognition AI is supposed to be coming to CamPlus.

Right

1 Like

Also might be a better choice for renters since you don’t need to attach anything to the doors.

2 Likes

This is frustrating. Having worked as a software engineer for 40+ years, I know this is not an easy problem to troubleshoot out in the field, but you learn to build the tools and look into the kernel (linux) and visualize the events of what is happening. I suspect its an integration issue between the hub and the cloud service. But without insight that is really just a hunch.

It adds the device, it connects to the cloud, and then times out finishing the setup cause the cloud probably has a different state that what the hub has at that point in time. Pure conjecture on my part.

And these wizards are anything but. They’re given a script and read those back to you (or cut and paste). Yes, I have power, yes I have internet (how do you think we are talking/chatting/emailing? Do I really need to reset my router? Everything else in my house is working … if you don’t understand the product, you’re not a wizard.

Most engineering organization have dedicated engineers as second or third level support. Doesn’t appear to have one here though.

maybe I’ll just get them to send another hub, the 3rd, and not update it …

1 Like

They haven’t demonstrated they can do a hub … so we should think they can do a camera protection system?

The camera protection system seems pretty complex pretty cool that it can recognize friendly faces from non-friendly and contact security services.

I just don’t like the fact of having cameras inside of my house I don’t mind them outside but I don’t feel comfortable with them inside

So how do you let them recognize your Mom when she comes to visit from Arizona before she gets arrested for breaking and entering, even though she might have a key?