Horrible Customer Service ... obfuscation - deceitful

Asked for a customer service issue to be escalated to a “MANAGER” level and it never got there… I was told verbally they would honor an offer “if only they had a means”, which was a flat out lie… They did the same in written form… And was told they didn’t say that… I copied them back their exact written comment… Yes they did say the would honor the offer, “but the site would not allow it”… I guess MANAGERS don’t have the authority to over-ride order? Yet, another lie…

**Francis of WYZE on Dec 16th… DIRECT QUOTE: “If only that option is available on our end, we would have already applied it from the very first time you requested it.”

YES they can over-ride the purchase with manager approval ! It never got escalated to a MANAGER level !!! Hope this catches their MANAGEMENT’S ATTENTION… Your Customer Support folks need better training and they need to not lie to customers…

This forum would NOT allow me to post the entire written conversation… Anyone interested… I’d be more than happy to send it in its entirety. [Mod Edit]

[Mod Note]: Personal information has been manually removed for privacy and security reasons.

What is the issue you’re having that they couldn’t fix?

If I read what you wrote correctly, they indicated they would fix it IF they can.

It sounds like it’s something that can’t be fixed, by management or otherwise, based on what you’ve written and quoted here.

They said they would match the TicTok camera offer, “If they had the method to do so”. Told me EVERYTHING had to be bought through the site. That is bull !

Look up 3534330. Check phone logs and listen to those.

I’m not a Wyze employee, this is primarily a user to user forum.

Based on what you said, they’d match it IF they had a way to do so, which they do not. I don’t think supervisors or management has that ability either, based on reading threads in this forum. I could be incorrect, again, as I’m not affiliated with Wyze.

But what I’ve been reading is that deals on TikTok aren’t Wyze setting the price, but TikTok basically subsidizing the discount.

6 Likes

@towelkingdom is correct.

Note that in the above instance the Wyze rep didn’t explicitly say they WILL match the TikTok offer. The rep said they WOULD if they had the method [and permission] to do so, but they don’t. Which was their polite way of saying they can’t.

One solution you can do is to cancel or return whatever order you made or were going to make through the Wyze website and just do it through the TikTok store instead.

Note that TikTok prices are not the same for everyone. Sometimes TikTok gives extra HUGE targetted discounts to users for random reasons that aren’t offered to everyone. They also give big discounts for first time purchases. So does Instagram.

If it makes you feel any better LOTS of companies that do price matching are refusing to pricematch to the TikTok shop now. Walmart has been refusing price matching to TikTok Shop. Target has been refusing to price match TikTok shop. Best Buy has been refusing to price match TikTok Shop. Newegg, also famous for pricematching, apparently also refuses to pricematch themselves on their own TikTok shop because they are considered “exclusive sales events that are not eligible for the price match guarantee.” That is basically how all the major price matchers are handling this now…TikTok doesn’t count unless you get lucky and find a rep who doesn’t realize they aren’t actually allowed to price-match TikTok shop (even the company’s own TikTok shop).

The problem that retailers are finding is that the price matches aren’t fair because they aren’t price matching against real costs. TikTok is purposely losing money on lots of items and considering it as overhead costs to get started and build up a customer base that will pay off later down the road. If established businesses kept price matching everything into the negative they’d be in serious trouble. They aren’t just reducing profit margins like normal price matching does, they’d be going in the negative and that’s not sustainable. This is why so many companies don’t price match special events, for example. They don’t all have another separate source of income to subsidize the losses from like TikTok does (ad income for their videos, not just purchases from their shop). That is why TikTok can get away with doing it and others can’t.

I don’t see any way Wyze can afford to price match against TikTok prices, when even big name price matchers are now refusing to do so so they don’t go bankrupt. The math says it’s just not going to happen in the long term if a company wants to survive.

As Towelkingdom pointed out above, the Wyze Discounts on TikTok aren’t just Wyze prices, a lot of the price discount is from TikTok throwing away their own money that is subsidized from their video/ad income to bribe new users to start using their store. Wyze already operates on extremely low profit margins. In fact, the owners recently said Wyze still has still never made a profit, though they are on the way to finally be profitable, hopefully sometime this year, the point is that any Wyze price has historically been sure to be a reasonable price. But for anyone willing to use TikTok, well then TikTok will pay you extra to order from them instead.

3 Likes

WYZE employees should never have indicated verbally or it written form they were willing to match the deal, if only the website were able to accommodate. Better training would be in order. Also, when it has gone this far and someone request a REAL sales manager, it should be forthcoming and not a “phone jockie” supervisor. As stated, I’ve wasted my valuable time on a chump change sale. It’s the principle of the matter!

They literally didn’t guarantee they could. They indicated that IF it were possible they would. They probably did reach out to a supervisor for clarification and were also told it’s not possible. I know it’s frustrating when there’s a misunderstanding, and I understand you’re upset that they could not give you the TikTok pricing , but you weren’t intentionally misled.

Is the deal still active on TikTok? If so, your best bet is to complete the transaction on TikTok.

4 Likes

Never going to have TikTok installed on any device my family owns. That is what started all of this. Like I stated. This is a chump change exchange and WYZE has successfully wasted way more $$ in my time than what this is worth. Again, it’s the principal…

P.S. this never went to a manager. I hope they get wind of this and make changes…

Respectfully,

Chris Bernard

It sounds like you did get a supervisor then. While I don’t work for or represent Wyze, I would be pretty fairly surprised if they had a manager who regularly takes supervisor calls for supervisors. instead of trusting the supervisor’s decision, or there would be no reason to have the supervisor job exist.

And I say this as someone with experience in the field…I worked in customer service for multiple Fortune 500 companies for several years including as a supervisor/trainer, while I was going through college. I am not totally sure what is meant by the difference between getting a “real sales manager” vs a supervisor related to customer support/phone-sales.

Most major companies that I have experience working for will have regular representatives and then there will be an escalation supervisor. Sometimes this is implemented in different ways. Some will have a general “Supervisor” pool where all escalated calls go to the escalation line and just wait in a cue for the next “supervisor” to open up. Others will have a specific “team” of reps dedicated to a particular supervisor/manager for that team and that manager takes every call from only their reps. Either way, the hold time can sometimes be long. 99% of the time, before a call is transferred to a supervisor, the supervisor who is going to get the call will talk to the rep about what’s going on has already told the rep to tell the customer the same answer they plan to tell the customer. Then when it gets transferred to them, they usually give the same answer (maybe in a different way), and thus waiting on hold for a supervisor is often a complete waste of time (for most companies) because if the supervisor could do anything different, they usually would’ve just told the rep to do it while you were on hold and they’d approve it.

Now, there are sometimes exceptions. Sometimes, there are “courtesy credit” options, and these are often “please go away and stop tying up our phone lines and costing us money” bribes. Basically, some companies will give a limit of discretionary credits that can be applied in various circumstances. Generally the company considers these credits as contrary to policy and undeserved credits, but allows them because people who just tie up the phone lines forever are costing them money. someone who spends an hour tying up a phone line is costing them both with utilities/infrastructure and a rep’s hourly wage to deal with it. Sometimes it is cheaper for a company in the long run to pay someone to just go away and be someone else’s problem. Maybe not on an individual level, but in the long term. If a customer becomes too high maintenance, then a company will just ban the customer entirely.

Few major companies will have an escalation process above the initial supervisor, because there is rarely a need. A supervisor has access to anything that needs to be done, including getting permission from anyone necessary for a random exception (for example, in one company I worked for, a supervisor didn’t have permission to give credits greater than $500 on their own discretion, but they did have a way to submit permission to a director who could approve it with their login). Anyone else besides a “supervisor” will just tell the customer the same thing 99.99% of the time anyway, especially for something that is against the policies. In my experience, if a supervisor can’t/won’t do something, it’s basically not going to happen. It does not make sense to have so many supervisor tiers instead of just 1. The main point of a supervisor call should be for someone with lots of experience to review the situation and make sure policy is followed and that it didn’t just happen to be a rep without experience or knowledge making a mistake. Once that is confirmed, there is no reason for them to higher ladder rings to escalate to. It would be inefficient.

Again, while I don’t work for or represent Wyze, I would be pretty fairly surprised if they had a manager who regularly takes supervisor calls for supervisors without firing all the supervisors and just having managers become the new supervisors without managers.

If I misunderstand though, I am open to understanding what is meant instead.

I totally understand and support this decision you make for yourself. Just keep in mind that Wyze makes no price-matching guarantees anywhere. It’s not a part of their policies. And when TikTok throws money at people with their ad-revenue, you can blame TikTok for it, rather than Wyze.

What kind of manager are you looking for beyond the customer support supervisors?

If I could pass on feedback to another Wyze employee in the back channels, what would you like them to hear from you? I can’t promise it will change the outcome…there is almost no way that Wyze can afford to price match every special targetted discount of throwing money at people that TikTok is doing with their ad revenue subsidy, but other than the outcome, if you have some feedback or advice on how or why customer service could or should be different in general, I can probably pass on some feedback for you (again this would not be opening a support ticket that that would change your outcome against the policy against price-matching TikTok, nor likely get you a direct response other than what you already got from the supervisor).

3 Likes

How did you hear about the promotion if you’re not on TikTok? I’m pretty sure the promotions on TikTok linked you to their storefront and not the Wyze website. I don’t think that I’d assume the discount could be applied to a different storefront that wasn’t directly linked.

2 Likes

My point, the offer should have never been made if management forbids matching. Tell me, “There is no price matching”. Don’t tell me yes we will match it, but there is not a mechanism to do so. Of course there is.

Bad management or bad policy (one in the same).

If there is no avenue to a “real manager”, tell me that.

Respectfully,

Chris

An ad. With link. Nope no TikTok on any of my devices. Never will be.

In your opinion, what is the minimum ‘agency’ an employee must be invested with to provide good customer service?

Good = satisfying to both agent and customer.

Let’s counterintuitively quantify it. 1 = none 10 = total :thinking:

Your issue is with TikTok, not Wyze. Wyze did not offer that discount. TikTok did. Wyze doesn’t promise nor do they promote price matching of any kind. You’re complaining about Wyze not honoring a policy that they never had. And they tried to tell you, but you misunderstood or misinterpreted what they said.

2 Likes

Hey my old froggy friend, since we’re in the watercooler, I will indulge you on this a bit. :wink:

Note, I am going to specifically talk about my past experience in customer service with Fortune 500 companies.

There is a huge flaw in this assumption that it is always possible to satisfy both a customer and an agent/company. Often that is not possible because the ideal does not take entitlement into account. In my years of customer service there were MANY instances where this standard is 100% impossible because you will always have over-entitled customers on the far end who will settle for nothing less than the moon, and still feel claim they were cheated. There will be customers who committed fraud on the level of thousands of dollars and would not settle for anything less than demanding the company still owed them millions of dollars for no reason and a lifetime of free service and every product for free forever, and still would be dissatisfied. The audacity of entitlement with general customers can be insane in some cases. I saw things like this example with basically every company I worked for. People will shoot for the stars and hope someone settles to give them the moon, and in that case it was all worth it because they still get a ton out of it. But the reality is that this rarely to never works the way they think, at least with most companies, and sometimes it backfires badly.

Still, customer service agents do often need a small degree of agency to be able to act independently outside of scripts and use their discretion in certain circumstances. When I was a CSR, there were a few times where the customer may have been 100% wrong about their bill being off by $5, and I could walk them through and prove the bill was 100% correct, no doubt. But maybe I was the twentieth call they made and still didn’t get it. In that case, I might know that they absolutely owe that $5, but they are lacking the mental capacity to understand it or be able to do basic math or whatever and they will keep calling back another 20 times and the company is going to end up wasting MORE than $5 by continuing to deal with this issue. In some of those cases, I would use my discretion and agency to save the company more money in the long run by just giving the customer a figurative “go away” credit and leave a detailed note with rationales for why it was the best option and saved more money than it cost. If a customer has a pattern of this, or is manipulating or exploiting the situation, then a supervisor could just cancel the customer’s account and ban them from doing business with us.

But agency also comes with some challenges and risks, especially for a company that is already operating on razor thin profit margins and hasn’t technically been profitable yet because they aren’t ripping people off with high profit margins like other companies do. This creates less flexibility for possible agency.

The problem with agency is that it is hard to train an employee for what is a reasonable use of agency in which situations and to what extent.

Also, if you give a CSR TOO MUCH Agency, then you risk people being upset and complaining about an inconsistent experience. There is something to be said about consistency. This is a big reason a lot of companies have general scripts so that things are as close to the same for everyone. If reps are always telling people different things, then that quickly becomes a nightmare. There needs to be some degree of standardization and consistency.

I think this a hard thing to quantify as a general standard. A company with rip-off high-profit margins can give way more agency than a company operating on a different business model or possibly in a different industry. A company with lower profit margins may have fewer resources and flexibility to allow CSRs to make discretionary decisions that involve spending money or offering discounts while one with high profit margins may have more room to do this and build some loyalty and satisfaction. The problem I have with companies on that end is, lets say I’m paying full price for a product or service…my price will be higher than normal to accommodate allowing the company to give someone else the discounts and credits. So in a way, my money that I paid is being used to give someone else a cheaper price, and that makes me dissatisfied. I would rather a company keep their prices at low profit margins for everyone and tell everyone there are no special credits and discounts given to someone else because I’m paying a higher price to save that other person money. I would prefer the company keep my price lower and tell everyone else they can just pay the same price as me which is already priced at a fair low-profit-margin price. That is why I buy Wyze stuff because they fit that business model that I prefer. I’m not subsidizing paying a higher price so someone else can have a lower price. My price is already at a low profit margin cost. I don’t have to call them up and renegotiate with them to lower my price again and again like Cable Companies do to people.

I am not sure you can generalize a quantification of optimal agency for ALL companies since there can be so many factors to take into account: Type and complexity of CSR issues (do they require more creativity and discretion, or are there standards and simple solutions?); expectations and preferences of the customer market (autonomy and personalization vs consistency and professionalism); culture and values of the company (do they foster entrepreneurial and innovative spirit or compliance and efficiency); skills and performance and experience of the CSRs in question (some may have more experience and competence in CSR issues vs others who need more guidance and supervision); etc.

I think it’s possible to have really great customer service with very low amounts of agency since it could give a consistent and professional experience. And I think it’s possible to have great customer service with high amounts of agency that can give creative and satisfying solutions. A lot of it depends on how it is implemented, but if you held me at gunpoint and made me give a “minimum number” then I would say it’s possible to have great customer service with an agency level of “2” out of 10 if it is implemented well in certain situations. I think 1 is always too rigid because there will ALWAYS be statistical abnormalities or new things come up that can’t be anticipated and will require some discretion and will at least need some kind of extenuating circumstance escalation procedure. If I were to give a GENERAL number on what I think is good, then I would probably say 4-5 with some guidelines and examples trained on what can be appropriate discretion, and then ensure there is a review/auditing process to ensure it stays within certain appropriate bounds and ongoing coaching/training.

Honestly, I think most tier 1 CSR jobs are going to quickly switch to using LLM’s that use human-like speech or typing in a way that most people won’t even know whether they are interacting with an LLM or a human that has low agency approval (supposed to primarily follow a script).

4 Likes

They most certainly did state they would honor that offer if only the website offered the means to adjust for tge difference….

And they told you it can’t… Wyze does not price match, and there is no mechanism to force a price change in their system outside of the deals Wyze themselves offer.

Customer service reps are trained to be empathetic. So, saying they would love to help you but there is no way to do so is the same as just saying no. The customer service rep and management weren’t lying. They likely would love to price match for you, but they physically cannot do so within their system.

I realize that you’re frustrated over their verbiage, but they did not lie to you or intentionally mislead you.

6 Likes

Deeply interesting, carver.

I’m more concerned with the satisfaction of the customer and agent - actual people - than the company - corporate entity. I think its important to be reasonable in one’s demands of entities - they must earn a profit and stay in business - but the tilt should definitely be toward persons.

(Entities have persons behind them called ‘shareholders’ who have UNreasonable expectations of returns on investment. They are shielded from ignominy for their unreasonableness by the corporate charter which legally requires the entity put the shareholders’ interest first. Blame ‘the lawyers’ I guess. They’re swaddled in money and feel little pain.)

I answered in my head before seeing your response “6”, btw.

Is it reasonable for a person to feel some entitlement (in the pejorative sense.) It is when standard marketing seeds unrealistic expectations of product performance.

Eg, Wyze cams are marketed as peel & stick & plug & play - they’re not. There’s a learning curve and study necessary to adapt them successfully to one’s particular environment (RF signal pitfalls, device placement challenges, etc) and to fully implement advanced features.

Marketing also omits information fundamental to judging a product’s suitability to task.

Eg, Cloud-based wireless devices are not ideally suited to stable and hardened home security.

Back to Customer Service and agency.

It seemed to me @WyzeMatt’s active presence here last month successfully built customer confidence. He was personable and seemed to have some agency.

Agree? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do my best.

@towelkingdom is correct here. I do highly recommend looking at TikTok for special offers/sharing those special offers with friends. You may be interested to know that Wyze oftentimes doesn’t control the offers, so the agents (and even us at times) are the last ones to find out about price drops on Wyze products on TikTok.

I do feel bad for OP and will happily grant a 3 month free trial of Cam Plus for your new camera ($9 value) if you want it. That’s one of the few things I can control.

7 Likes