Did anyone try using the Wyze Doorbell to automate things? The Wyze doorbell is the only Wyze product I have. I see “front doorbell” and “Wyze Notifications” as switches on HA. I tried using the doorbell to trigger a Kasa light but it didn’t work. I also tried “Wyze Notifications” as a trigger when the doorbell detects motion, but that didn’t work as well. When I check the state of both switches in the developer tools, the state is always on.
Hi there! I’m a newbie to HA so I am hoping you (or anyone!) could help me ? How do you add the Wyze Outdoor Plug to HA? I have the Wyze Home Assistant Integration set up but it’s not being detected. Did you manually add it in the configs?
Wondering if you are still dabbling in Home Assistant and Wyze?
I am working on a how to document, not ready yet, to demonstrate how to leverage Wyze and Alexa to provide what is needed in Home Assistant.
I figured out how to get Motion and Contact Sensors to function by leveraging Alexa. I have setup my office with multiple Wyze Motions Sensors and Grouped them in HA. Then I have an Automation to ensure the lights don’t go off if any of the sensors have motion on it. Works great.
I’ve installed HA on a QNAP NAS, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten with it, if you ever put together a document for how you setup your HA Dashboards, I’d be interested in using them.
Off topic, but can you point me to a decent tutorial on integrating Wyze with Home Assistant? I recently started dabbling into running HomeBridge on my Synology NAS, but I’m about to upgrade the NAS to one that can run Docker and will be trying out Home Assistant.
This will allow you to connect to most devices with the exception of Contact, Motion, and Leak Sensors.
Those can be linked in different fashions, one of the easiest ways it to leverage Alexa. Then create Virtual Switches in HA and expose them to Alexa. then setup automations for when a door is open or motion is sensed to turn the virtual switch off. When the event stops, turn off the switch.
Camera’s are linked differently. If you need that information, let us know.
When I set mine up, I just searched YouTube for a walkthrough to set up the HACS Wyze API in home assistant. I think there were a couple minor differences from the walk-through to how things work now, but I was able to use some LLM AIs To help me figure out what was slightly different to do now.
For what it’s worth, I set up home assistant on my Synology Nas last year, but I set it up in a wrong way that didn’t allow me to have supervisor mode or something like that. It was really annoying that I couldn’t do a lot of things because of how I set it up without some kind of supervisor permissions or something. Now I have it set up on a dedicated home assistant green instead So that it’s on a dedicated machine. I’m not saying that’s necessary, just suggesting you make sure that you have supervisor mode or whatever it’s called available. Spamoni helped me understand what I was missing in my previous install. My point is to make sure you set up Home Assistant to give you the most control.
Oh, good info! I’ll definitely be watching some videos and doing some reading before actually setting it up. It’s going to be at least a week before I’m even going to migrate the NAS.
I have the reg HACS install and at one time attempted the docker for the cams but I somehow messed that all up. I’d love to know how you got the cams running and did your cam dashboard!
I’m going to tag @cyberdog_17 to respond to your question here too because he not only has all his Wyze cams in Home Assistant, but I see your profile says you use iOS, and Cyberdog even has all his cams in Homekit as well.
I believe he uses Docker Wyze bridge and then Home Bridge.
Any chance the HACS integration will ever open up for motion from the cameras? I have it installed but since I only have cameras, it doesn’t do much for me unless I am missing something. I can turn the floodlight on outside but that’s about it.
dj
Not through the SecKatie HACS integration. I believe part of the agreement between Wyze and SecKatie was to never allow polling of sensors or cameras as sensors (motion), so it is something not allowed. You can pull the code to re-enable it (it used to be allowed) and do it yourself, but you could cause Wyze to Ban your IP address if you do so.
The way to do this so it doesn’t poll the Wyze servers is to install something like Docker Wyze bridge to pull and RTSP stream from the cameras, then link that into Home Assistant. Then you can have the RTSP stream trigger an automation based on motion sensed from the camera.