I have purchased the doorbell pro with the intention of hardwiring it so I won’t have to constantly recharge the camera. I live in a city where it gets to -20C or colder in the winter and I’m sure the built-in batteries will have a major challenge performing if I did not hardwire the doorbell.
The problem is that I have ended up frying my original doorbell transformer and also its replacement. I a now down 2 transformers and I still don’t have my doorbell pro hardwired. I’m not sure what is causing (what I presume to be ) the short circuit causing the transformer to burn out.
I have followed the installation instructions. I live in a 4yr old (ie. new) home. The house is only wired for a front doorbell. I started with using the jumper cable to connect up the “Trans” and “Front” terminals in the door chime unit. Then I went to connect the doorbell pro to the black and red wires at my front door where my previous doorbell switch was connected. The doorbell pro was working but from the Wyze app, I can see that it was not charging-despite being hardwired. I then went to my garage where the doorbell transformer was located and measured the voltage on the two exposed terminals. I got a measurement of zero volts AC!
I then purchased a replacement doorbell transformer. Installed it. Before connecting any wires to it, I measured its output. 24V AC. Perfect! Now I connect the two wires to the transformer. (the rest of the circuit was already all connected up. The doorbell pro was connected to the wires at the front door already). I measure the output at the transformer again, right after connecting the wires. It was down to around 7V AC. Now I measure it a few more seconds later, it’s now zero!!! The transformer itself got fairly warm. So, something about my connection has burned out a second transformer!
I thought maybe there is a short circuit somewhere in my wiring. So to test that out, I connected a simple AA battery to the 2 wires in my garage (that would otherwise connect to the transformer terminals), and I went out to the front door to measure the voltage at the two, now disconnected, doorbell wires. I got a reading of 1.42V. I also checked the AA battery a few minutes later. It wasn’t even warm. My thinking is that this would test for and show me if I had any short circuit in my wiring.
It seems like, somehow there is a short circuit which is causing my transformers to blow. Wyze is sending me a replacement doorbell pro, in case there is a problem with the camera doorbell. Is it even possible for the camera to have some defect to cause this problem? BTW, the camera works perfectly fine on battery power. All of its functions work. So, if there is a defect, this is an isolated defect.