Forum Redesign - 8/12/21

Not all of them because the list becomes too long. But we’re going to add an option at the end for See All that will take back to the home page of the forum with all the categories listed.

3 Likes

Sorry I just now saw the answer to my question elsewhere :smiley:

Alright, the See All in the dropdown is now live! That should help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not seeing the Video tag yet, post refresh and browser close and reopen. May take a moment to refresh. But cool, thank you!

1 Like

It won’t be added retroactively but it will be an option when you go to post something. Mind giving it a try to make sure I didn’t do something silly instead? Sometimes admin access makes things work more smoothly. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Happy to, One moment please

1 Like

I appreciate your assistance! :heart:

1 Like

Done and Tagged.

The video tag does not show in the tag drop down menu, but, you can find it in the search, and via the Tags button on the ribbon.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I suspect that it will show up in the list when we finish migrating old topics out of there. I’ll keep an eye on it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Alright, folks! You’ve had a few days to get used to the new categories and things and we’ve finished flipping the stuff over (unless there’s cleanup we need to do). How’s it going? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I like only seeing Cameras and not the other products I won’t buy.
Makes using the forum much more easier with less clutter.

This post in camera section probably should be moved Wyze Lanps

3 Likes

I flagged the lead article to get one of the Mods to move the entire thread out of the camera section. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, what I did with the old system and still do which is helpful and which you might still like to do anyway, is you can go to your profile prefences then under notifications there is a section called “Tags” and under the sections there called “Watched, Tracked, Watching First Post, or Muted” you can enter tags specific to what you want to get alerts from or to ignore. So under Watching First Post, you could enter all the camera tags like Wyze Cam v3, and video, and then you’ll always be alerted when there is a new thread started for those topics. Then under muted, just list all the other devices you don’t have or don’t care about and you won’t get alerts for things related to those products anymore. It will make your experience tailored closer to what you’re looking for. :slight_smile:

Example of mine:

1 Like

I moved it! Thank you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s to hoping the AI area will be able to recognize that I’m a real person commenting and not a ghost.

This is great. Now if they would separate the wyze app and get all that bloatware out of there. I don’t understand why companies always gotta cram a bunch of needless shh in the apps. All I need the app to do is control my damn devices. I don’t need a ton of extra shh trying to load when all I wanna do is flip a switch. SMH. ANNOYING.

What specific things in the app are you considering to be bloatware? I usually think of bloatware to be things like unwanted 3rd party apps that forcibly install, or possibly 3rd party advertising. Off the top of my head I can’t think of any part of the Wyze app I don’t use, except the shopping section/tab (though I do browse there sometimes), and I only avoid ordering out of the shopping section/tab out of respect to Wyze because if I order there (through the app), Google/Apple steal 30% of the costs from them (and Wyze already operates on margins WAY lower than that), so I use a browser instead to order anything, otherwise I’d use that tab more too, as do many others. I can’t blame Wyze for having a shopping section in the app, and I doubt it takes up a ton of space or processing/RAM/space compared to anything else in there. But I’m guessing you must be referring to either that or the notifications? Though the notifications or updates about new products can be disabled so it shouldn’t affect those who don’t want them I would think. Just go to Account - Notifications and deselect almost everything in there. I like the notifications, so I have them all turned on so I know when there is something new launching.

Still, I don’t disagree with the overall point here in general. One thing that should help for Android users is when all the Developers switch over from using APKs to Google’s new system that will only download and install parts of the app you will actually use instead of the entire thing. I think this should help significantly with such issues if app developers respect the intent of it. It will save space and memory and processing resources to be used only for the parts of the app you actually use instead of having to download the parts of the other people use, but not you specifically. I am fairly supportive of this Google Play idea…though I personally like having EVERYTHING in most cases. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright, so we looked into this following tool further. Turns out that since it isn’t officially supported, it would take many thousands of dollars to get it to a point where Discourse would feel comfy hosting it and then there would be a couple hundred dollar maintenance fee every month after to keep it going. They are now aware of our interest so if it ever becomes more standard, we can check it out then. But that isn’t a direction that we’re going to pursue at this time.

That said, we still appreciate you bringing this up and having this conversation with us. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Totally understandable that it is not worth all that for a simple convenience. I am still very impressed and grateful you went through all that effort to look into it though. As I said, I feel no entitlement for anything, including with this. It was awesome to hear a follow up on this though. Thank you so much for checking into this. Maybe I’ll wait a few months and add in a totally separate personal request directly to to Discourse forums asking they consider supporting something like following certain profiles. :slight_smile:

What would be awesome is if Discourse built in a personal setting where each individual could select whether or not they wanted to allow others to be able to “follow” them. Then if someone is being harrassed, they can just deselect the follow option for a while on their own, while some employees could allow it for our convenience. I might throw in my 2 cents to discourse about considering such a thing which would resolve a lot of the hesitation if people have the option to allow it or not on their own (maybe default to disabled but allow it to be turned on).

Anyway, thanks again for looking into it. I am not hurt by the outcome at all, but it has given me some good ideas to bring up as suggestions to them on a personal level.

2 Likes

Oooh! Yeah, you should totally say that! It would fix the concern I had about easier cyber-stalking. :slight_smile:

And I can’t take credit for putting all the work in. I delegated to @Loki and he was kind enough to report back. He’s the hero in this story (and many others)! :grin:

4 Likes