Forum Operations Feedback Thread

This basic process actually was started a couple weeks ago with the reorganization of the Wishlist and its subcategories. It will be ongoing and you will see more changes and info posted going forward.

Regarding closing the threads: when a wish moves to Probably Not, that’s saying it won’t/can’t be done. But we generally don’t close those threads in case anyone wants to keep discussing for some reason.

3 Likes

And even if a wish is labeled “probably not”, it’s still good to see if there is an ongoing or spike in interest in case the powers that be change their mind or have the resources to look into it.

2 Likes

So let’s have a “No Way” label. Keep the old thread, but no new comments. “if” something changes, start the thread again. Also, for anything that’s been implemented, close that off too. You don’t like the answer, start a new thread, or raise a ticket.

Those are some interesting points, though I think there is a benefit to leaving all the threads unlocked even when Wyze currently has no intention of implementing the subject matter. For one it helps keep the forum organized. If Wyze stopped allowing comments on those subjects, people will simply create new threads to have the discussion in, making things scattered and less organized. Some people want to complain about the decision, others want to try to propose a new idea that could work as a solution. For example, Wyze just barely switched the request for a Wyze sprinkler Controller with more zones" to a Probably not status, meaning they have no intention of doing this. In this case a partial rationale was given about how

Since this would require new hardware this is something we probably will not be doing.

And another user made a creative counter proposal that wouldn’t require new hardware. Someone could update the software and firmware to allow one Sprinkler controller to act as the primary Controller, and any others to act as secondary controllers. In this way, the same hardware could be configured to work together to operate with virtually unlimited zones to fit anyone’s needs. This would resolve the objection and make it a possible thing for Wyze to consider in the future (not this year), because perhaps the people who made the “Probably Not” decision had not considered this as an option, and something like that could possibly sway them to research the viability of it (after this year is over).

Had Wyze just locked the thread, such ingenious counterproposals and solutions could not be proposed by users.

Additionally, there are threads where Wyze labels it as “Probably not” or no or whatever, and users are able to discuss in there what other workarounds there are for everyone interested in that thing. Even though Wyze may never do it, it is nice to have a thread on the subject where we can discuss alternatives and workarounds. For example, HomeKit Integration is something Wyze said probably not to, but if Wyze forbids any discussion of it, lots of people may never know that there are workarounds…both current and future. For one in the future, we expect Matter will resolve this desire and allow homekit integration through that method. For another, when someone posts that they are desperate for Homekit, we can share with them how to make it work with the Wyze Homebridge or Docker Wyze Bridge so people can use their devices with HomeKit right now.

But regardless of any of those other rationales, it’s good to have an organized place for related discussions to continue on any subject without everyone feeling like they need to create new threads constantly because the main thread on the subject is locked up.

6 Likes

@carverofchoice
Well Placed with character and humility!
Thanks, @stargazeriinh

3 Likes

This is a tough call, IMO.
On the one hand, there is a case to be made regarding suggested alternatives to a wish-list item. On the other hand, you end up with myriad open threads that need to be reviewed.
In the example you mentioned, I would think you close the first as “Not Feasible” or whatever, and the counter-suggestion is a new wish-list item. In the example case, it may get a quick not feasible as well, since not every piece of hardware can be repurposed by its firmware, but you’re right, maybe that works. (Not sure I see the benefit of your example as I’m not sure there’s a difference between programming 8 zones or 4x2 and sprinkler controllers absolutely, positively, must work regardless of any network connection)
I would agree with one of @lesshort points as well. There needs to be a “no-way” or equivalent label where there is zero chance of it moving forward. Worthy to note that your example has been on the wish list for over two years with 34 votes.
Wish lists are a blessing and a curse. A quick disposition of the items helps to keep them organized.

I’m glad the mods and staff are taking it this seriously but I continue to observe that the relationship between the forum wish list(s) and actual product development is so tenuous as to be practically non-existent, so I carry a lot of salt in.

2 Likes

I can completely understand the salt you carry in. I have been pushing for them to truly look at the wishlist since I was a mod. They are looking, when I say they, it is actual developers. It will take a while to get through this and we are starting in chunks.

As for the probably not, it is basically a no. There have been instances a probably not has been revived though because the situation changed and it made sense. We keep the thread open so people can see we probably will not do this, but we can still see the use cases and reasoning people have for it. I do agree there are obviously some that will never happen since they just do not make sense to do. I am reading all these comments though and listening to the feedback.

11 Likes

I just noticed, by accident, that double tapping my userid icon/avatar will bring me quickly to my full Notifications page, without having to click the intermediate down arrow at the bottom of the preview list.

This shouldn’t be a reliable technique because it’s a web page load (double taps aren’t really a thing) but so far it’s repeatable in my mobile browser.

1 Like

I just set this up, then I clicked on likes to dismiss all the likes so I could just focus on unread notifications, but it accidentally dismissed ALL my notifications (set everything to read) :sob:

I am guessing there is no way to undo that. Oh well. :rofl: Sorry to anyone if I accidentally miss or don’t reply to something! My bad. :laughing:

Sorry, I don’t know any way to undo that.

1 Like

On desktop web, double click doesn’t do it. BUT, if you click your avatar, then move ever so slightly down and click the bell icon, it takes you to your full notifications list. I think what may be happening on mobile is that your second tap is hitting the bell icon.

4 Likes

Yea, on mobile the avatar and bell icon are in the same position so double clicking effectively clicks both. Good shortcut though, nice to not have to tap the arrow at the bottom

2 Likes

I have done that too many times :sob:

Two new forum features have been enabled today. See Forum Update: User Status and Sidebar have been enabled for more information.

4 Likes

Nice explanation Loki.

4 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Sidebar? Where’s the sidebar. OH MY GOODNESS. THERE IT IS. I’ve been not looking at it for two hours. I need a reboot. Maybe even a factory reset.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Wyze Lock problems

If you use a desktop to browse the forum, you may occasionally find your comment-entry form maximized with no apparent way to restore it to its smaller self.

It got that way because you dragged the upper boundary of the form UP with too much VIGOR and INSOUCIANCE, not because you wanted it maximized.

F11 on Windows Firefox does the trick, formally full-screening the whole shebang so you can drag the damn thing back down where it belongs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes