Fix-It Friday 9/1/2023

Imagine an app or firmware (like in a security camera) as a complex puzzle made up of many interconnected pieces. Each piece represents a different feature or function, like taking photos, recording video, or sending alerts.

Now, when the developers work on this puzzle, they’re often trying to make it better. They might fix a piece that was broken, like a piece that made the camera not work correctly sometimes. Or, they might add new pieces to make the puzzle more exciting, like a new feature that lets you zoom in on the camera feed.

The challenge is that making changes to one piece can sometimes accidentally affect other pieces nearby that used to be perfectly shaped, but now have to change to accommodate the new piece that is shaped differently. It’s a bit like if you were fixing one part of your bicycle, and suddenly, the wheel starts wobbling even though you didn’t touch it. It’s because everything in the puzzle is connected, and changes in one area can have unexpected consequences in another.

So, when developers release updates with bug fixes and enhancements, they’re doing their best to improve the overall experience. But because of all these interconnected pieces (some of which they can’t see or anticipate being affected), it’s possible that something might not work as expected when they change one thing to make another better. This is why you might notice that sometimes, after an update, a feature that used to work perfectly may not work as well as before.

That’s the end of the simple explanation to the lay person. Then there is the demand about testing EVERYTHING to make sure everything works perfectly with the updates. I’ve worked as a professional QA tester and I don’t care what anyone says, It’s impossible to test everything. I like to share this simple example:

3 Likes