Real name is Tony, and because Ooh Em Gee, it’s me!
And what of the good @bryonhu? He fomented a minor uprising on the forum recently, then quietly stood aside. ![]()
yon = 'That one or those yonder. ’
What about the rest of it, fella?
This is a good thread worth bumping back alive. May I also lobby for those without a profile pic to add one. (It’s up to you, though, I’m not the boss of anyone.
)
Not even yourself?
Is anyone really the boss of anyone else? ![]()
Looks like someone was not the boss of her – even if she lost. ![]()
If she was a member of the forum I would suggest she change her name to ‘imbossible’ or ‘imbossable’ and introduce her to @Seapup 's parasocial ‘wife,’ ‘tough monkey’: ![]()
Also, If anyone likes ‘geezer dog’ it’s available and you can have it. Gotta nice ring. ![]()
Me, no, I don’t think of myself as the boss of myself, how about you? ![]()
Well, that’s complicated. I’m not entirely sure what I think related to whether I am the boss of myself. Ultimately, I believe I am responsible for myself. But that is a different matter altogether. I can think of a few different analogies to help explain:
Since I him involved in some companies, maybe “you” isn’t a single person—it’s more like a Member-Managed LLC (each member involved gets a vote). I’m not the sole “Boss”; I’m just the “CEO of Executive Function” or executive chairman of the board, trying to run the meeting. But my Limbic System often acts as the disruptive shareholder who keeps overriding the budget, and the “Habit Formation Department” just does whatever it wants on autopilot a lot of the time.
When I fail to follow my own instructions (like getting distracted… I do have ADHD after all), it’s not insubordination; it’s a failed corporate takeover by my best intentions. If you’re not the boss of you, are you at least the Chair of the Board trying to get a consensus?
As another example, it can be complicated to determine the definition of “I” or “you” In a philosophical sense. Sometimes the word “I” can refer to two different people.
There’s the Planner I who is the one who decides to go to bed early and eat healthy, and the Doer I who is the one who hits ‘next episode’ and grabs a late-night snack. They constantly give conflicting orders.
There’s the conscious and the unconscious (so much could be said on this from a psychological or even physiological standpoint where the unconscious actually comprises a lot more neurons and other things than your conscious part of your brain).
So, am I the boss of me? No. In some ways I’m arguably just the poor middle-manager stuck between a visionary who over-promises and an employee who severely under-delivers.
To take this deeper: maybe the “boss” isn’t even a who, but a what.
If I set up my environment poorly, or if I let my habits run on cruise control (autopilot), those systems become the true Boss. I just show up and follow their rules. Biology and genetics might set up a predisposition, but environment and habits can overrule or persuade any pre-disposition.
When I tell myself to do something and fail (as often happens with the classic “procrastination loop” particularly for someone with ADHD), it’s not because I’m not the boss of me, but because the Boss of the Moment (Emotional State + Environment) is louder and stronger than the Boss of the Future (Willpower + Logic), at least in certain cases.
And yeah, there are ways around all that. And as I said at the start, regardless of how you define “me” or “boss” Or whatever, All of me is still ultimately responsible for all of me, even if individual parts are not necessarily the sole boss. Fault and responsibility can be entirely separate. Something doesn’t have to be my fault in order for it to be my responsibility, While in other cases it can be both. Though I hesitate to claim being my own ruthless dictator. I went through a period in life like that and it completely unbalanced my entire life and backfired to be the opposite of peace. It’s hard to describe. You are accountable/responsible for yourself at all times, and you can choose how you will behave (or you didn’t deserve to be in society), but once part of you cannot be the sole ruthless dictator over all of you or it will destroy who you are. The same has always been true for every organization (company, country, etc) and becomes very unbalanced and unhealthy.
I do like that sometimes the word boss is used to refer to something that is cool or great, and in some cases is used as a sort of alternative to saying the word “sir”… And while I am not generally a huge fan of formality, I do like these linguistic alternatives to the word boss. I could be okay with considering myself the boss of me in this sense.
You’re not the Boss of
‘s. Nobody is.

Dogs have owners.
Cats have staff.
Aw. Smitten kitten. Do you think it smells like you (or at least your feet?) ![]()
It’s all so calculated
she’s got a calculator
She’s my soft touch typewriter
and I’m the great dictator
And!
…for OP @TomG , whose original profile pic was WKRP guy. ![]()
Since the topic of “Boss” is shifting toward “Boss Radio”, here is a link that explains it. Boss Radio was a radio genre in the 1960s that featured less DJ talk. The word “boss” was early 1960s American slang for something fashionably attractive or impressive.
I think this is true. A couple of cats I’ve spent time with have been called “the supervisor” or “the manager” because of how they will sit and watch humans doing work. ![]()
I have relatives whose habit this is. Imagine. ![]()
MFP is an Old Geezer cat. He’s decided he likes that doormat to rest his old bones between 2:30 AM and 4:30 AM.



