In his
he’s still kitten for you - this allows him to grow frail and stupid less tragically as the curtain comes down. ![]()
Can’t belive you found this and more important remembered. I’m a southern cal transplant. KHJ was the station. Especially as my two buddies and I cruzed Van Nuys Blvd on fri/sat nights. In his '65 Olds 442, dual quads, 4 on the floor, headers, listening to KHJ or that new fangled 8 track tape. Those were the days.
For some reason I remembered ‘boss hitbound’ – and the many beautiful harmonized vocal tags that punctuated and helped propel it. ![]()
I think the days of that kind of human middle manager (who just sits around and observes) are coming to an end.
More and more companies are creating AI middle managers to handle that instead. Results have been interesting. They have the AI monitor all chat communication from the user, monitor progress each day, do check-ins, make progress reports, etc then have multiple AI bosses for multiple employees supervised by a higher human executive. Allows the company to get rid of a lot of middle managers who did nothing but micromanage people while still ensuring people are reasonably productive. People have started noticing on their employment contracts that the fine print actually says on it that their direct supervisor is actually an AI. ![]()
A few people have reported actually liking this because the AI boss is consistent and reliable and not emotionally impulsive, volatile, or unpredictable. One guy said he knows exactly what to say to his boss when he needs to get approval for a day off work because it basically works every time. ![]()
Some companies think that while AI won’t completely replace humans, humans who use AI will replace those who didn’t, and a human using AI as an intermediary manager will replace the majority of human managers. The fear is that it might create an even larger wealth gap because there will be low level human employees and executive human employees, and not much in-between. There are already companies running this way. An AI is the boss of the human while another human is the boss of the AI.
Soooo… Since an AI is technically a “nobody” (not a human) then I guess those people can legitimately say that “nobody is the boss of me” since their direct boss is a nobody. ![]()
Other frogs on logs watching the hoomans with their busy work?
I’m not allowed to answer that but I can laugh.
![]()
Revolution!

Can’t let go.

Has let go and can’t stop.
Do you think people have explained their handles to themselves while reading this but haven’t posted?
Tentativity? ![]()
Possibly. I know people that now just use randomized user names though. Bitwarden / Vaultwarden even has a generator specifically to help create new random usernames for every single site. It’s more secure that way As it inhibits identity targeting credential stuffing or for other profiling & tracking purposes. I have started to use different usernames on various sites now, so if I was asked this elsewhere, I might reply that the username is virtually meaningless now.
Been doing that for a while. I especially use it for Social Security and other Finance Related Logins. Figured I would add another level of complexity. Bitwarden is great and works across Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux platforms.
Yeah, I gave in to self-hosting “Vaultwarden” on my NAS through the Bitwarden apps/plugins, etc. so I could get all the premium features for free. ![]()
It’s been great! Previously I was just using Google PW Manager.
Now I just need to convince my family to switch to Vaultwarden. ![]()
Haven’t heard of VaultWarden. Is VaultWarden on all platforms? I trust BitWarden since they don’t have my password. They have a free plan, but I decided to pay $10 a year for the extras. I have a growing fear of Google, so I moved off some time ago.
I haven’t seen a justification for a NAS, yet. I have iDrive and so many external USB drives.
My 93-year old Dad uses BitWarden. He likes it as well for Windows and his iPhone.
‘Safe,’ but not very lively, that. ![]()
Even if people express their personalities in posts, without a pic and distinctive name to anchor it to, it’s hard (for me) to distinguish between them over time.
But I am not the boss of anyone so I’ll adjust to the amazing new world of bland ciphers. ![]()
Vaultwarden is exactly bitwarden (or rather a nearly identical fork of it). They just copied the open source code from bitwarden and simply unlocked most of the “premium” features that bitwarden usually charges a subscription for. You just install vault warden as a docker container on something running docker, and tell the bitwarden app and bitwarden browser extensions to use your custom bitwarden server instead of their cloud server. Now all your passwords are stored locally only by you, not by some third party company.
You can choose to have it only sync new stuff over your local network for even more security, or allow it to connect securely remotely (either through reverse proxy or VPN) for convenience.
I’ve been using vaultwarden since summer and I love it! I make sure to save an encrypted backup routinely too. So I basically have all the premium bitwarden features totally for free and no company stores or can leak my password vault because it’s stored solely by me locally and securely.
I particularly like that I can store other encrypted notes and files with it too, not just passwords but anything I want stored securely and encrypted (health info, product licenses, copies of critical ID documents that are sometimes required, credit cards, SSH keys, secure notes, almost anything, etc). There are lots of other benefits I like, but secure notes and files is among my favorite bonus features.
It may be one of my top 5 favorite home lab projects I self host for free (some of the others being Home Assistant, Audiobookshelf, and a video streamer)
Really, you get all these for free…
The reports are quite useful.
That would be impressive, but I don’t mine spending $10 a year. I like easily using it when I am away from the house or overseas. I don’t trust anyone coming into my router from the outside.
I make use of the encrypted notes as well. A nice feature. I also backup the plain text CSV locally to my physical safe.
It’s been a joy to use, especially when I get a new phone and have to log into everyone again.
Well then, it’s time for you to admit to being impressed! Vaultwarden includes all of those things for free in the web interface / reports! These are screenshots from my admin browser interface:
Real example from my Exposed passwords. lol
Time for me to update some of those. I have known about some of them for a while, but haven’t been too worried about them since some of them are things that don’t even exist anymore (such as an old router login or local network connection that couldn’t be accessed remotely anyway), and the rest I have pretty secure multi-factor authentication on them, so it’s not like someone can do anything about it. But I have been slowly updating all my PW’s to either long completely randomized PW’s, or in a few cases–for the ones I have to memorize–complex algorithmic schemas that look completely random.
It includes a lot more things too.
There are a few things that Vaultwarden does not include but which are available with a higher subscription, such as:
- Directory/SCIM Integration
- SSO
- Enterprise Security Rules policies across a team
- Advanced Event logging of all users’ actions
- Official 3rd pary security audits (such as from Cure53)
- Customer Support
But I don’t care too much about most of those enterprise things that are in the higher subscriptions.
Yeah, it’s VERY reasonable. I was pretty tempted to do that as well. Currently I’m pretty satisfied with with self-hosting though, especially so I can share it with the rest of my family…$10/yr starts to add up once you add in enough people (and it’s easier to convince the wife to agree/like it if I can tell her it costs $0! and still gives her extra advanced features…I’ve just been waiting to ensure I have everything fully down and stable and fully understood to answer any of her questions before I try to migrate her over from Google PW manager).
One of the main reasons I decided to finally look for a PW manager is because of AI. I used to store some stuff in my google account (secure notes, ID photos etc) and when Google started integrating AI and giving it access to EVERYTHING I got a little panicky and decided I needed something secure and encrypted that the AI couldn’t access. Bitwarden (Vaultwarden) made that possible with the Encrypted file attachments and secure notes. So I exported everything that was “sensitive” to be encrypted and off Google’s platform away from it’s AI and human contractors that review everything the AI sees. I was getting really paranoid that my stuff wasn’t safe from accidental viewing or AI hacking mechanisms. I needed more secure encryption against AI and contractor reviewers for important things now. I still love and use Google, but times are changing with critical needs for extra encryption from AI. Bitwarden is perfect for that with their secure notes and encrypted file attachments. And I can use Google stuff for things that aren’t as sensitive.
I’d highly recommend others consider something similar (don’t store sensitve info with an AI company).
Maybe I should update my screenname to paranoidofchoice lol j/k
I guess we got a little off topic, but at least it’s the watercooler, so NBD.
I thought about self hosting Bitwarden one time, but I don’t really have the redundancy fail over. I think a family of 6 can share Bitwarden for $40 per year. Plus I have enough hosting headaches. ![]()
![]()
You guys are sooooooooooo off-topic… especially new Maven paranoidofchoice. ![]()
I follow suit to keep these
from becoming new topics authored by ![]()
Florida Sheriff:
‘Guess what… you can’t go anyplace, anytime that you’re not on camera,’ Judd said.
The singularity
Everything just works with everything always and forever. There are no ‘new things’ to integrate because everything is compatible from (before) the moment it is conceived (aka ‘the get-go.’)
Yes, just 2-3 years away, get ready.
A good alternate name for me might be unstintiingly unfailingly adorable. I’m cute to a fault. Too cute by half. Sweetie pie. ![]()
…and OP @TomG 's in this one (guess how much irritating is he
)
@TomG !! ![]()
I am impressed. Thanks for the info. Good deal for self-hosters.
I haven’t self-hosted in a long time. Including hosting any parties at my house. I turn off my PCs when I walk away from the console. I shut down all of my servers years ago. I only leave my routers on for the Wifi access.
I saw a sign above a desk in a Stephen King movie, it read… Total Paranoia = Total Awareness. Some paranoia allows me to comfortably sleep at night.
Sometime that happens in the Watercooler.
Heh, sometimes that happens OUTSIDE the watercooler too…though I generally TRY to limit my infractions of it to the watercooler for the most part, or at least have part of my response on topic with a separate off-topic musing. ![]()


