Cool Down Interval Time

Am I correct that when motion is detected, there will be 12 sec of recording with 5 minute intervals for the next 12 sec recording due to the camera’s cool down time?

Can this be updated via a firmware? I’ve only had the cameras a couple of days and so far they’ve performed well. My concern is, if there is a false motion detection, I would think a lot can be missed within that 5 min interval until the next 12 sec recording.

Yes, that’s the limitation for Wyze to be able to provide free cloud storage. If you install a microSD card in the camera, you can record motion events without limitation up to the size of the SD card.

thanks for the quick reply.

so if i use an SD card, what is the time break in between motion detected recordings?

For the SD card recording, you can choose Continuous or Event Only. For Event Only, it saves each one minute interval in which any motion occurs, without any break or timeout. When the card becomes full, it deletes the oldest video to make room for the new.

So if I enable “Event Only Recording” for the SD card, where will I see those one minute motion interval videos? Will I see them under the notifications tab? I have enabled “Event Only Recording” but I still only see video of events under the notifications tab every 5 mins.

The SD card recording is viewed by pushing the view play back button from the live stream. You will see the Motion events indicated by green shading on the timeline.

SD card and cloud recordings are two separate things

I understand now. Mine was always solid green because I had my motion detection turned up too strong.

it would sure be nice if there was an easier way of trying to scroll to the recordings. Trying to scroll to a one minute recording on that screen is quite difficult. Even to be able to double tap back and forth 30 seconds would be great.

1 Like

You can pinch and zoom on the timeline to change the scale of the timeline to make it easier to select a specific point in time. This is particularly useful if you have 1-minute increments based on the Record events only setting.

https://www.wyzecam.com/wyze-cam-getting-started/#playback

Well that works! Thank you.

Even at the low price of these cams and the free cloud storage- I would think shortening the cool down period is not a a big impact for Wyze server space at all. They are 15 second motion clips that would only happen a few times a day, and are not saved long term.

Last week, I was expecting my building maintenance guy to come to my apartment to do an inspection, I got the alert when he showed up at my door, but he was done in under 5 minutes and left. So for over an hour I thought he was still in my apartment doing stuff, until I reviewed the footage on the SD card. Never got an alert when he had left.

Also, as an example, say someone casually walks past your driveway, and then 3 minutes later they circle-back and take your mail. Or a bird sets off the motion alert right before someone approaches your door.

You are not even going to realize it until hours later, and it would take a while to backtrack through all the video footage and find out when it happened. Anyhow, just would be a great feature improvement if possible. Still love Wyze!

4 Likes

Hi @josh! May I suggest you hop over to this topic in the #roadmap, leave your thoughts and vote for it? It would help Wyze determine better the desire for this feature. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay. But I’m not referring to how long the 12 second clips are stored on the cloud, nor a subscription. Just simply adding a different cool-down time to choose from, 2 mins or 5 mins. For example.

1 Like

@josh Understood, but the interval of 5 minutes exists because of the limit WYZE puts on everyone’s FREE storage. They sold a million cameras in less than a year their first year. Can you imagine what would happen if even half of those cameras started sending clips every two minutes instead of five? So, this is why a paid subscription option was put on the roadmap to see what the interest would be for additional storage AND reducing the cooldown period. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand. But there would not be twice as many clips being uploaded, only a fraction would have actually another motion event during that period 2 minute period.

Also, an easy trade off is reducing the time the clips are stored on the cloud. So if we enable 2 minute cool-down, the clips are only stored for 7 days, half as long. Or even 5 days, fine by me.

Anyways, Ill post this in the road map section: 2 Minute cool down option with 5 day storage in return.

3 Likes

Lately with my pan ive been getting notices every few minutes (when there is movement) but quickly fills up the cloud then i get no more notices till i delete the ones in the cloud. Is my cam special or something?

@encino34 There is no limit on the number of cloud clips that are stored. The only limits are the length of the clips (12 sec), the interval between clips (5 min), and the age of the clips (14 days). If you are sure this is what’s happening, then…

This forum is primarily a user to user community. If you don’t get a helpful reply here, I suggest you contact Wyze Support for more help. You might want to go ahead and submit your ticket now as there is somewhat of a backlog. If you end up getting the issue resolved before support contacts you, then you can always let them that it’s already resolved.

This is an option I would like to see, why not give the option of 2.5 min cool-down with 7 days retention? I just setup my 2 cameras yesterday and the cool-down period might be the deal breaker for me.

I merged your roadmap request for this, here: Paid Subscription For Cloud Storage

1 Like

The 5 minute cool down seems to also apply to local storage (micro sd). I can confirm that I am on the latest firmware 4.10.3.50. I have tried downgrading the firmware, and re-upgrading. I have the Wyze Pan configured to only record Events and not Continuous. Is this a bug, or expected behavior?