Color Bulb Mandatory Firmware Update not working (resolved)

Hi folks,
I’ve got a bunch of color bulbs in my house and the app is forcing me to update firmware before it will let me use them, and the firmware update keeps failing. Not really sure what to do here. It’s pretty annoying that I can’t use the lights in the meantime while the firmware update takes place; leaves me unable to use a bunch of lights that were working before this update was pushed out. It would be great if someone from Wyze could note this feedback, and/or provide any help on how to get around this issue so I can use my lights again.

Thanks

2 Likes

Same issue, just 1 out of 3 bulbs is having an issue, mainly because my third one is new, and i already had the other 2 updated. The 3rd fails over and over and over. Is there any word on when a patch for this update will release? This is pretty infuriating at this point.

@chaz76vette
I am sorry this is happening to you, I have sent your feedback up. I would advise calling support if you still cant get the update to work.
Wyze Support

(206) 339-9646
Mon - Fri 4am - 8pm PT
Sat - Sun 8am - 4pm PT

@chaz76vette @jcwking2010
If you are still experiencing this issue can you try turning off the bulb in the app and then trying again. You should be able to turn it off from the main page before going in and being prompted for the update.

3 Likes

Same here. Just got 4 bulbs new. All running 1.2.0.359 and they all fail update. I’ve deleted and readded the devices as per this page (https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056965411-Wyze-Bulb-Color-firmware-update-failed-), and also deleted, factory-reset, and readded.

This is my first experience with these bulbs. Not a good one to say the least since I cannot do anything b/c the firmware update is required.

2 Likes

Try this. Turn the bulbs off within the app first. Then go to settings, firmware update and run it the update from there. Thats what worked for me.

7 Likes

@ytsejam777 Thanks for the reply. This worked for me, though I did need to disconnect power to the bulbs first, plug back in, then turn them off in the app, then attempt the update. They are updated now!

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. My light won’t complete the mandatory update and keeps failing. This is also my first experience with this light and I’m pretty frustrated.

Thanks for the replies folks.
I tried the suggestion of turning off the lights via the app and updating the firmware and it seems to have worked - thanks for that suggestion!

This worked perfect. I have been fighting with this for two days. Finally decided to check the forums. Thank you!

1 Like

I just bought 3 Wyze color bulbs during amazon prime days, The initial setup was the easiest of any smart device I own, and I have a ton. No idea how long these sat on the the shelf, but they all required a firmware update, else they are shipping with old firmware, if the latter then shame on you Wyze. On the first bulb I spent 45 mins trying the update firmware. try after try I constantly got the “Oops Something went wrong” after waiting what seemed like forever for the update to apply. I went online looking for help and did not find much but I found this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/comments/r90qbm/wyze_bulb_color_new_bulb_install_firmware_hell/ which unfortunately did not help. I then contacted Wyze support via their web based chat. Unfortunately their tech support is script based and the people running them either cannot, or will not deviate from the script and try actual tech support. The script they are handed by their in house technicians has a lot of mumbo jumbo about rebooting routers (which we called a punt in my tech support days), and when that doesn’t work they then blame your wi-fi being interfered with by too many neighboring wi-fi signals. They might as well have used the BOFH’s excuse calendar.

So there i was with one, possibly 3 dead to me color bulbs. I could not use them with the lower firmware as the app instantly puts up a “firmware update required” overlay on the controls. I was about to send them back but gave the interwebs one more try. I then read into the comments (something that rarely if ever should be done :wink: ) of the reddit thread and found this gem:

OMG got it to work for both bulbs! Turn off the light first within the app before updating firmware!

Exact steps:

1. Via app; Tap on the color bulb.
  2. Tap the off button which is just to the left of the “brightness” slider.
  3. Tap “Settings” > “Device Info” > “Firmware Version” and run the update.

Voila! Worked!

Figured this out by accident; that is, not from help from support. I suspect this works because the firmware update is trying to access some subsystem that is locked while the bulb is on.

So I gave it try, I was not able to click the power button in the control area of the bulb due to the firmware overlay, but conveniently there is an on/off button on the list of devices. Once the bulb was off, I then went into the control area and ran the firmware update as normal. The firmware update went through without a hitch. I hope this post not only entertained, but may also be informative for the next unsuspecting purchaser of the Wyze Color Bulb.

[Mod Note]: Post moved to this more current topic for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar posts related to production (vs beta) firmware.

6 Likes

Thank you!! This was driving me crazy!

Hey I’ve tried this, among every other trouble shooting step. Gone as far as clearing cache, resetting home router, re installing the app. Resetting bulbs and re pairing them.

Still no dice for me. Any other ideas?

1 Like

@mike47336
I am sorry none of this has solved your issue. Those are all the ones I know of, at this point I would have to recommend calling support.

Wyze Support

(206) 339-9646
Mon - Fri 4am - 8pm PT
Sat - Sun 8am - 4pm PT

Turning off the bulb and then updating through the bulk update page worked. So weird, because most Wyze products need to be on to update.

Thank you for saving my sanity!

Called support, all they did was run a robotic script and send me two new bulbs that also are not updating.

Tried using three different phones, made sure my phones OS are updated to latest version, deleted Wyze and reinstalled, cleared cache, reset router, did all the turn the bulb off and on steps that everyone else said worked. Nothing worked. Still stuck with not being able to update.

Any leads when Wyze will actually address this issue and fix the bug? Super frustrated here

1 Like

Mike, have you tried updating the bulbs when they are off?

Dawn

Yes if you read above, I have turned them off in the app before updating. It doesn’t actually turn them off though because the firmware being out of date makes it so one can’t even control the bulbs at all

Just to mention this incase there is some confusion: by “turn the bulb off” it is not meant turn off power to the bulb by either flipping the switch to the socket it is plugged into or unplugging the power cord. “Turn off the bulb” means to set the bulb to an “off” state in the app. The bulb will still have power running to it (which it needs to run its Wi-Fi and get and process the update, but it will not be emitting any light. This is counter-intuitive portion of Wyze’s workflow as they have the bulb start emitting light during setup and then jump right into the firmware update.

Also there are 2 places where you can set the bulb to its off state: one is in the bulb’s control screen (where you can set color and intensity, etc.). But when a firmware is required you cannot use the power button on the screen because the update firmware overlay prevents it. So you’ll need to the “off” button on the main page of the Wyze app that lists all your Wyze devices

then tap the bulb to open it’s control without hitting the “on” button where you should then see the firmware update screen. Do the update, and that has been what is working for most.

If this setting the bulb to an “off” state before firmware update and you still get the “oops” message then perhaps it is a bad bulb, but to get multi bad bulbs in a row is highly unlikely. So other more out-there things to try is put the bulb in a different socket (maybe you have a janky wire or grounding issue with one you are trying). Try a different location … again highly unlikely but it is possible to have interference from neighboring Wi-Fi that could prevent an error free download of the firmware (although you would see other slowness in all other Wi-Fi communication) but still worth giving it a shot if you can.

That’s my $0.02 worth.

1 Like

Yes no confusion here. Exactly what your explaining I’ve done