Can someone explain why I'm getting notifications for this guy?

I have Cam plus enabled on my video doorbell along with person detection and have enabled detection zones. For some reason I’m getting notifications even though the area this guy is in is blocked off. This doesn’t seem to be limited to the video doorbell either. I have a v3 cam in a different location that seems to have similar issues as well. Is something not configured correctly on my side?

I don’t have the doorbell, but I have read some complaints about the doorbell detection zone not working correctly. Some say it’s rotated, so maybe try blocking a diffrent part off?

Also, if there’s any overlap at all with the active detection area, it will record and tag it.

You could try blocking off the entire area, see if you still get it, then if not slowly open more space up and see where it works.

2 Likes

I would love to ask @WyzeShawn about this. Maybe in an AMA or something. It does seem like you blocked it off well.

2 Likes

those detection zones dont work, never have. ive never got them to work. I have a tree limb (in a couple of places), and have turned the detection zone on, marked it so the tree limbs are not going to create a false positive (on two separate cameras, two different separate cameras), and i still get the notifications. Now bear in mind, ive been trying to get that to work for a couple of years, then tried it when i got my new outdoor v1’s, and same thing, still gets triggered regardless of the detection zone setup… im pretyt much done with this company… and heres why:

2 Likes

Would love to see the detection zones settings and the videos with motion tagging activated. This kind of thing tends to be indirectly triggered by lighting or shadow changes within the detection area caused by the objects’ movement, rather than directly triggered by the object’s movement itself.

For example, I get recordings every morning and night of distant car headlights turning my front yard into a multicolored night club as they approach from the far end of the street, even if they turn onto another street before passing in front of my house :man_shrugging:

Somebody posted elsewhere - and I’m probably butchering the explanation - that when the AI is scanning, it looks at the entire picture, including excluded zones. When it detects something, it draws a rectangle around the object that may be bigger than the object (or person) itself. If any part of that rectangle is outside of the excluded zones, it will alert.

So, while the person is entirely within the excluded zones, the “rectangle” the AI is drawing around him may be clipping into your monitored area which would then trigger an alert.

Unfortunately, if that’s the case the only solution is to increase the ignored area by at least one more square around the entire border.

1 Like

Yep. You explained it perfectly. I believe that was me here.

In looking at the DZ, the square that may have been Overlapped by the rectangle around the object may have been this one:

Note: I drew the rectangle to illustrate the principle. It is only a SWAG that the rectangle is that size and location. It could be smaller or larger and will relocate, frame by frame, as the object relocates frame by frame. The Wyze AI Engine does not mark videos with the “Detection Rectangle”. The Cam will mark a Motion Tracking Rectangle (green), but this is only used to show motion. As we already know, the AI Engine ignores motion and sees all objects as stationary.

2 Likes