Bulbs stop working, no support

You have a wonderful opportunity here. You have an unusual problem that not everyone is experiencing, and you have an engineer who wants to help. If you could post a response to his request, that would help others like yourself.

I don’t use Android, but on the iPhone there is a function called Screen Recording. If you engage that before you try to do something (like add a bulb), and disengage it after you fail, the resulting video of what you saw can help them figure out what is happening for you. Then you upload that video here. If it is too big, you can use a YouTube link. If you can’t do that, more options below. :slight_smile:

On my iPhone, I’ve added the Screen Recording function to Control Center using Settings > Control Center > +Screen Recording. Then you can initiate a recording by calling up Control Center, and pressing the dot-circle icon:

Maybe Android users can post how to do it there.

Secondarily, a one-time static screen capture may be of use, especially if it has an error message.

No matter what, can you share what device model you are using, the OS version number, and the Wyze app version number (Account tab > About > version under the Wyze logo)?

In any case, send an applog. The way you do that is go to the Account tab > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Note this has to be done from the Account tab. Then select Wyze Bulb, Connectivity Issues, select which Bulb, and explain the situation. Send Log Files. Then post the Log number here with your video, static capture, and device/OS/app specifics.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Use two fingers to pull down the screen and see this view. (Or use one finger and pull down twice) See circled button.

1 Like

Since the app was recently updated to v2.50.9 (512) on Android, I decided to try to add the old bulbs again. Unfortunately, I ran into same issue as before. I get to the point to look for the Wyze bulb network but it never appears.

Cannot upload video since it exceeds 5.86 MB.

I know this will sound crazy but it worked for me even though I doubted it. Restart all of your network equipment.

Hello @WyzeDesmond , I have the identical problem with my 2019 white bulbs. It’s exactly as described here and in the other threads (here, similar issue here).

I replaced my Verizon Fios router with an identical one a few days ago. I re-added all six of my bulbs. One worked fine. The other five have failed to connect.

For each of the failing bulbs, here is the behavior. I can add the bulb in the app as expected. However, once the process is finished, the app tells me that the bulb is “on” and at 1% brightness, and from that point on, it does not respond to any attempts to control it from the app. After several minutes, the bulb reverts to pairing (pulsating) mode.

I made a screen recording but like @ssummerlin I cannot upload because it’s too big. I shared it here. One thing that doesn’t show up in the screen recording for some reason is that I get a quick toast message immediately after the pairing process finishes that says “Binding sucessfully” (pretty sure that’s the verbatim phrasing).

I am using the Android app, v2.50.9 (512), on a Google Pixel 7 Pro, Android version 14. I tried rolling back to an earlier version of the app with no change. I tried it on an old phone, no change. Submitted an app log, number 1494978.

Thank you for any assistance. This is super frustrating.

4 Likes

I just dont understand why there is no software update fix for this Wyze must know it is a system wide issue

1 Like

OK, I had a very similar thing with almost all of my cams a while back. Long story short, Wyze does not like IP address changes of devices. Painfully, what I ended up doing was turning off MAC reservations on my router, going into the app and manually finding the IP of each cam and then reserving the Its so nothing else would take it. Once I did this, I was able to make changes to my network and get all my cams on different IPs and such.

Going back and forth with support was really frustrating because they gave canned answers and really weren’t very good. It really made me rethink a lot of things about Wyze.

I also have run into the ‘out of warranty’ response from them on their lights. As I have worked in a support environment in the past, I do understand why they do this. It is super hard to support older outdated things. Support is typically a revolving door because it takes a certain type of personality to do it is used as a root kn the door, so, the average time of a support person at an org is only a few years before they move on. When they leave, they take knowledge with them, so all you get is beginner support people who can’t think outside of the box. The other issue is that it is the business model of Wyze to generate income. If they dont support it, then you have to buy new, which makes them money. Kind of like those subscription services you have (Netflix, Office365 and such). It is in their best interest to do this to stay afloat as a business.

Either way, I still buy their cams, I avoid their light bulbs and I really have to think about their other products.

Also, check out Cree for lights. I use them on my porch and they work well.

Good luck!

Wow. I never had to perform such an act. Good you are back on track.

Am I not attempting to do this every chance I get?

1 Like

Did this opportunity vanish? It’s dark in here with no activity.

So far I have only noticed one applog posted. Is that enough, @WyzeDesmond? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! We are investigating this.

3 Likes

After my trouble ticket was escalated, Wyze support contacted me and offered to replace the bulbs that they had early said were out of warranty and would not be replaced. I am waiting for the replacement bulbs to show up. I don’t want to continue wasting my time troubleshooting a faulty product that Wyze should have replaced as soon as they realized it was faulty. If the replacement bulbs don’t work, I will be moving on to a different company. I am upset by this whole situation. Bad customer service. Faulty products. Customers troubleshooting faulting devices rather than the company doing it. This is obviously a COMMON problem relating to these bulbs - not some singular or unusual event.

Kasa.

It is ridiculous that the bulbs do this. Wyze know very well it is their software issue. The worst thing is the bulbs aren’t even “cheap” value for money plenty of other make and models on the market that are way cheaper but I tried to be brand loyal,
They need to step up and own the issue

1 Like

Seems they cannot duplicate the problem that we all see.

Roger that. Thanks for confirming. We are checking on this.

4 Likes

I received replacement bulbs (2019 version) and they work as advertised. The original bulbs still won’t sync with the app. I am done trying to troubleshoot the original bulbs. I also purchased some Kasa bulbs and am playing with those now. I won’t mark a solution to this problem since it has not been fixed, Good luck everybody.

1 Like

Great. At least someone made it out happy.

I wonder what the differences are between good 2019 bulbs and those that no longer work. Sort of surprised they still have 2019 bulbs available in 2024.

I moved on to Kasa bulbs as well. Luckily, my Wyze cams still work fine.

Just re-attempted to add the bulbs with the same result. @WyzeDesmond if there is any other information you need, or any update to share, please let us know. I did get a completely irrelevant canned message from customer support telling me to move my “Wyze color bulb” closer to the router, etc. etc. I haven’t given up on these products yet but I’m getting close.

1 Like