Bluebirds continued

I watched the chicks fledge last year. They come out and look like they are doing a strafing run and then fly up. None have gone vertical immediately after fledging.

1 Like

Not brave enough.

Still 4 chicks. One flew but I can’t find the event.

1 Like

Haha. “hhhmm, uh nope”.

1 Like

Three remaining.

I like how when the chick fledged, another chick immediately went to the entrance like it is queueing up

5 Likes

Must be launching an attack mission. Or just hungry.

1 Like

Last year a chick got halfway out, decided against leaving, and tried to back in. The feathers and wings acted like a check valve.

1 Like

Old girl in :fr: likes this one. Sez:

:laughing:

they look cold , poor things.

Nine months trying to get out. Rest of life trying to get back in. :grin:

(Conversion to ‘bird’ welcome.)

Empty nest

You can hear mom or dad calling them

Time to switch bird houses and try to get the image clearer.

4 Likes

So interesting! The last two displaced each other at the launch hole a couple times, then pop-pop, empty nest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool.

First egg laid April 13

Last chick fledged May 18.

If my math is correct, that is 35 days.

Really want to use a wide angle lens

3 Likes

I noticed that too.

1 Like

That box took a beating in those 35 days. It’s going to need a serious cleaning. :astonished:

Mission accomplished! :smiley:

Bluebird house #1 has been disassembled and ready for cleaning. Bluebird house #2 is up and ready for new tenants.

Unless there are objections, I won’t be sharing future broods this season, mainly because it will be a repeat of the past broods.

Here are some photos showing how I mounted the feeder to our gazebo.

1 Like

I think you should now build a :skunk: house since you were mean and fenced Pepé out off the yard.

I always disassemble the bluebird house and clean it before putting it in the shed ready for when a brood fledges. That way I can have a clean house for a new family. Already had a male bluebird checking out the house. :+1:

The house is made of cedar, which is a soft wood. Still, I was surprised to see the claw marks at the entrance hole.

This house has been used for 2 years and maybe 4 broods.

Can you attach something around the hold for them to grasp so that won’t happen anymore?