Attaching Wyze Sensors to be removable

I had some questions about attaching the Wyze Sensors ( Contact, Motion) so that I could remove for painting in the near future, The general consensus is that the two sided (VHB type) tape is permanent. Inadequate answer for my requirements. When a battery requires replacement on a Motion sensor that is seven feet (7’) or 2.1 meters off the ground I will have to have a way to get up to it and pry the case apart to change the battery. All while making sure not to pull the whole thing off the wall and damage the permanent tape. Unsatisfactory. So I went to Walmart and picked up different sizes of removable picture hanging tape. The command brand is what I ended up with. They had many different sizes and it also can be cut.
Now all my Sensors are attached with velcro. They can be pulled off the wall for cleaning or changing battery. Also the mounting tape is easily removable and can be replaced easily and inexpensively on the wall. Have one door sensor on original tape. This method is not secure like the permanent tape supplied with sensors. But I put picture hanging tape on the sensors before pulling off the film from back of permanent tape. So still have that option. Hope this helps someone else.

2 Likes

You don’t have to pry the motion sensor apart. Simply push up on the front and it slides up off the mounting bracket. Some tips on battery replacement…

https://forums.wyze.com/t/wyze-security-system-impression/175412/3?u=seapup

1 Like

I also use the velcro command mounting tape for several of my sensors, both V1 and the new V2 sensors (though not all). I have found it to work really well. They never come off except when I intentionally move them, with 1 exception: I put a V1 sensor on the swinging cat-door in one of the windows, and a few times the cats have pulled the sensor off the door as they go in and out…but otherwise for normal doors, and such the command velcro mounts work excellently. I have some that have held up well for over a year and counting.

Like you, I also put the command tape over the original tape some of them have, so I have the option to use the original later if I want. On others I first used the original tape, and then later wanted to the move the sensor somewhere else (ie, replace a V1 with a V2) and so I scratched off all the original tape and the command mounts work great as a replacement, and they’re easy to cut to the exact size too.

As mentioned by Seapup though, you can fairly easily leave the back end of the sensor mounted in place while you remove the sensor for battery replacement, painting, etc. I just really like the convenience of not having the sensors permanently stuck. Maybe I just have decision and commitment issues. :rofl: But it does give me a sense of relief knowing I can easily adjust them.

2 Likes

I have asked omgitswifey to borrow her hair dryer and used that on heat to remove the 3m style foam tape countless times. Mostly for gopro mounts and some Wyze stuff. Doesn’t leave any residue, but doesn’t have the same amount of stickyness if you want to use the same tape again.

1 Like

I had two considerations when installing sensors and keypads.

1. Wanted to paint soon (few months)

2. House built in 1964. Pulling of tape might expose ‘lead’ based paint. (House Painters working in my development won’t sand anything inside or out. On the older homes. Unless it is newly installed.) Me, I paint myself for financial reasons.

1 Like