All the product updates announced during the Wyzies

Hey everyone! In case you missed it, we just wanted to post all the product updates we made during the Wyzies so you don’t have to go scrubbing through the video to find them.

SERVICES

We are excited to announce our next service will be Continuous Motion Capture. Activating this service will enable Wyze Cam to record whenever there is motion, no 12-second limit and no cooldown period. You’ll be able to sign up for a 14-day free trial in the Wyze app within the next few weeks.

OUTDOOR CAM

When we first started working on an outdoor cam it didn’t seem like it would be all that hard to make a weatherproof version of our current cam. However, after spending time talking to our users, we realized a weatherproof version of Wyze Cam wasn’t truly what our community wanted. So we started from the ground up and optimized everything for outdoor use. We’re getting rid of the power cable, integrated a PIR sensor to trigger videos, developed a base station that can connect to multiple cameras, and created a new IP65 rated casing. We’ve changed everything for this product and that has taken a lot of time. Thankfully we’re getting really close. The last hardware change has just been finished and we’re starting our second round of testing. Our CEO promised that we’d deliver the Outdoor Cam in 2019 and the team is working around the clock to deliver on that promise! There’s still more work to be done though, and we can’t lower our quality bar in order to hit a release date. We appreciate the patience, enthusiasm, and understanding to get this done the right way.

DOORBELL

We are working on a doorbell camera. It’s been in development for about a year now and we’re making good progress. We have the designs done and have the product slated for a 2020 release.

LOCK

Very soon we will be releasing Wyze Lock, a product that turns your existing deadbolt smart. With Wyze Lock you can control your lock from anywhere, have it auto-lock, auto-unlock when you’re nearby, and easily manage who has access to your home. The hardware is done, the app has been developed, and now we’re putting some final touches on the experience. Assuming we pass our last tests, you can expect to see Wyze Lock before the end of the year.

WYZE SCALE

We know it seems like a bit of a side step from the other things we’ve been working on, but there are many aspects of people’s lives that can be improved by affordable smart technology that can be controlled through one app. We chose this product because we have a great opportunity with a partner to launch at a market-leading price point, and it gives us another step into a fully connected home. Wyze Scale measures 9 essential body composition metrics and syncs with popular fitness apps. It can automatically manage up to 8 users which means the entire family can track their own personal progress. Wyze Scale is in beta testing and will be available in Q1 2020.

WYZE THERMOSTAT

This is a project that we are incredibly excited about because it enables control over so much of the home. We are building features that will make it easy to ensure your home is always at the right temperature and also let you measure temperatures around your home, not just at the thermostat itself. We have finalized our designs and working through the user experience and app UI. Expect to see Wyze Thermostat available in 2020.

A BRAND NEW CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE

That’s a lot of new product updates, but we haven’t forgotten our primary responsibility is to continue improving the quality and reliability of our existing products. We’ve experienced some growing pains with the explosion in Wyze users over our first two years. Our cloud was initially built to support camera devices and today that base has been built up and used to support what is now millions of different Wyze products. To support the future of Wyze, we are building a world-class team of engineers who are completely remaking our entire infrastructure. Expect big backend improvements to start rolling out in Spring 2020.

MORE PRODUCTS TO COME

Not everything we’re working on is listed above, we’ve got a few more surprises in the works. As always, you can contribute to our product roadmap (see note below) so that we can better prioritize which products you’d like to see next.

Thanks!!
Dave

Moderator Note: Contributions of new ideas can be made at this link: Wishlist. Ideas and products already in development can be found here: Roadmap.

You can search these categories using these links:
Search Wishlist** (enter your search word/s after Wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after Roadmap in the search box)

More info can be found here: How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap

72 Likes

What about a Wyze car Dashcam similar to Owlcam ( https://owlcam.com/ )? Yes!! Might be a good one to add to your road map!

22 Likes

Hi Dave, can you please confirm we will also have the option of using a power cable for the outdoor cam?

(There are third party accessories that make Blink outdoor cameras work on power, but it’s better and safer if its a native feature).

Thanks

24 Likes

Hi Dave, it sounds like the new service is going to be a pay service for us? If so, are you saying that only people who pay for the service will get the “no cooldown period” option? Anyone with only the free service loses out on this option?

2 Likes

My understanding is the free service will remain as it always has been, 12 second videos with a 5 minute cooldown.

7 Likes

Thanks Jason. I love the free service and hope a “no cooldown period’ would be part of this free service too. This just doesn’t seem like something that should be a pay service. Everything else that Dave mentioned, I can understand the reason for a charge.

3 Likes

Here is a little reading for you in this thread

2 Likes

so what’s a “cooldown” period?

1 Like

Event videos have a 5-minute cooldown period for the 12-second videos. What this means is if there is constant motion detected, the camera will record a 12-second Event Video every 5 minutes and save that video to the cloud for 14 days.
If you have a motion event the camera will record a 12 second clip if there is another motion after 3 minutes you will not record another event clip until the 5 minute cooldown has expired

If you have a microSD card, you get even more options of how you would like to record and store Event Videos.

6 Likes

I’m so looking forward to your outdoor cam! I’ve been wanting to get one, but have been waiting for yours because I love my indoor Wyze cams.

8 Likes

I’d like to second this, having to take down cameras and charge them would be a dealbreaker for an outdoor cam or a doorbell. POE would be awesome.

Keep up the good work.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Thermostat - “and also let you measure temperatures around your home, not just at the thermostat itself.” Does this indicate sensor averaging availability?

3 Likes

Hello @nsiberry and welcome to the community.

They have not really elaborated on that yet, but that is what I am hoping for. I do that currently with SmartThings, Nest, Webcore and my contact sensors from another company. That involves a lot of work on my part and now with Google removing the Works with Nest program they are crippling my ability to do that. So I would love for WYZE to do this and make it easy on my end. I would switch in an instant.

1 Like

Just add a Micro SD card. Obviously the cost in cloud storage will increase significantly with these changes so paying for it may make sense. You can still keep the free service so I don’t understand the complaint. Good luck finding a better alternative.

6 Likes

Totally agree with what’s stated in the link, I love that the Wyze system is very affordable, and that I don’t see a subscription charge from them in my bank account every month. I don’t spend very much time investigating competitors to Wyze, but it seems to me that the price is pretty unbeatable for the amount of features that Wyze offers for FREE. Wyze may not make billions because of the prices they put on their gadgets, but that is my FAVORITE part about Wyze so far, they have valued customer satisfaction over profit margins. please do not change that @WyzeDave.

11 Likes

I don’t know why you are replying to me , I just provided a link and you can read my comment in that thread if you click on the link

1 Like

Yes , you get a lot of features with wyze products for what you paid for them and the free cloud storage is not going away there will just be another option for people that want it.

2 Likes

Yes a Car Dash Cam would be Great. It would be especially great if you could build one that the heat from the windshield wouldn’t burn up the internal parts. I live in Texas along the Gulf Coast area where the sun blast the windshield all the time.

6 Likes

Ok cool thank you for the detailed explanation! Much appreciated1

2 Likes