Alexa integration tips and tricks

No. All that does is announce Person Detection on you selected Alexa device(s).
This only works if Alexa sees your camera as Person Detection enabled. 3 of mine are, 5 are not.

Much appreciated for your reply. I like creating my own routines, so I didn’t know that part was limited. Maybe they will update that part of the app to make it easy for those that don’t create their own routines.

It’s very easy with the Fire Stick voice remote. Push the button and say “Show the Driveway”. :slightly_smiling_face:

You are right. It couldn’t be any easier than asking Alexa.

Amazon Fire TV’s upcoming user interface upgrade is going to be great for us Wyze Cam users. Picture-in-picture - Amazon’s redesigned Fire TV software starts rolling out…

More information here: Introducing the All-New Fire TV Experience - Completely redesigned to make finding and enjoying your fave content even easier

1 Like

That is nice. I hope they roll out the same thing to the Echo Show devices. Right now it is really annoying when I have an Echo show device play a video for my baby while I do some work, only to have an automation interrupt the video to tell me it detected a person, pausing my daughter’s video and sometimes not even going back to the video afterward, and things get complicated because I don’t know what to ask for to get it to pick up with where it left off in which show.

I like having the automations 90% of the time, but sometimes they really interfere with other things I’m trying to use the Alexa devices for. Hopefully these same upgrades will eventually roll out to the echo devices too.

1 Like

@carverofchoice

About picture-in-picture, it’s only for Fire TV Cube customers. I’m so disappointed that my Fire TV 4K will not be able to do PiP. I find it inconvenient to be interrupted by surveillance video playing at full screen.

Here’s the answer I got from Amazon Fire TV: “Fire TV Cube customers can check out their Ring doorbell camera feed with Picture-in-Picture.”

2 Likes

Which wyze camera work with alexa? I show all my cameras but can’t create routine for the new v3 cameras or any pan cameras

Thanks @kjay and @FritzThird for the good Alexa information. I was hoping the new feature would let me chain one routine to another but that doesn’t seem to work. By the way they may have renamed it from “Customized” (as in your screenshot) to “Custom”:

1 Like

I haven’t tried it personally but I read you could do multiple commands by entering a custom phrase like:

Alexa turn off the lights and Alexa turn on the tv and alexa “command 3”

Edit: I tried it and it worked. I did the following command

Are you maybe using IOS? I still see “customized” on Android and I appear to have to most up to date android version.

3 Likes

Very interesting, thanks again! Not quite routine chaining but a very useful idea. I’ve issued compound verbal commands before with about 50% success.

No, right now I’m on Android. I pulled the latest version from APKPure. App is 2.2.3…

Screenshot_20201222-150311

Interesting. I have the same app version but older client version. Might be a Canada thing :man_shrugging:

Aha! I was about to suggest that. Even checked your profile. :wink:

No idea where Alexa gets its localization settings from (download version or OS settings or Amazon account…probably the latter).

Yea it’s very weird. To even get access to the person detection alerts I had to change some obscure location setting in the amazon account. Alexa app and echo device location settings didn’t change anything.

For what it’s worth, I got my Alexa updates from Google Play and my version/client info match those of @Customer and so also show “Custom”. I concur with the Canada guess.

1 Like

Yup, my Canadian version uses the correct customize too. :grin:

1 Like

Mine shows “Custom” also

So you folks way up there send your new suits for customized tailoring?

Nah, we buy large and grow into it.
I don’t know why there is a difference. We use both words.

2 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl: :joy:

How colourful.