Wyze watch? Really?

Just got the email that a wyze watch is being released in 2 days. Really, wyze? You release a fitness band, and now are releasing a watch that has the same features as the band, making our bands obsolete now? Seriously?

Mod edit moved to ask the community section since we don’t know if it’s an early access launch or not.

2 Likes

I’m excited.

Fitness Bands are typically targeting a slightly different market than smart watches. For example, a lot of people prefer to sleep with fitness bands to track their sleeping, or while working out at the gym, while jogging, dress more like you’re really into health and fitness, and such, rather than wearing the bulkier and brighter smart watches (especially sleeping at night). Some people even have both (wear the band at night while you sleep and charge your smart watch, then the watch during the day and charge your band).

There will still be a market for the band. It sounds like you were more of a Smart watch market type of guy who bought a band because it was Wyze and a decent price. It’s all good, auction it off…someone WILL buy it.

Still, it will be interesting to see what all the differences are. My only debate is whether to get one immediately at launch or wait until the next week to order it with all my other stuff I want to order just before the promos all expire.

11 Likes

I wear Apple watch.
I have the whole Apple ecosystem except for the smart home. Apple homekit is losing to Amazon Alexa, IMO.
I wonder what Wyze watch will bring.
The whole Alexa smarthome on the wrist would be very intriguing tbh.

1 Like

I’m more mad that they keep realeasing more and more products (really an unnecessary amount) before even fixing and improving their current products? I think what has done it for me and had me start to move on from the brand is the sprinkler controller. I mean really?

11 Likes

Let’s wait for the details of the features then decide… I’m looking forward to the differentiation

Guess you don’t own a house. I am super excited to see the sprinkler system, the only good smart wifi option on the market is the Rachio and they are grossly over priced. Plenty of other “smart” sprinklers on the market. But they all suck and are more than $50. Stay away for the B-hyve.

The watch I’m a wait and see to decide, that’s a hard one to crack.

But I do think Wyze is making a big push for the all in one smart home system, would be pretty great to have everything in one place and not have to switch apps because something isn’t fully supported in another. I’m talking about you MyQ garage door opener. Can’t wait to see how the security system turns out

6 Likes

That’s not my point. I do own a house. I’ve been with Wyze since 2018. I want them to fix the software for products I’ve owned since then or I bought more recently (my Lock). I’m all for an all Wyze ecosystem. But that is only beneficial if every cog in the system actually works as intended and advertised.

11 Likes

I use an Apple watch also and while not the whole Alexa Smarthome, I got an app in the Apple App store called Voice in a Can for $1.99 and it adds Alexa Voice control to the Apple Watch. I use it often and I’ve even used it to ask Alexa to lock or unlock the Wyze Lock right from my wrist.

3 Likes

I still own the first generation Apple watch and it works so well I doubt I’d ever part with the Apple brand. However, if the Wyze watch performed enough similar functions and had voice control for Alexa I may be persuaded to invest in one. Did Wyze even ask for suggestions from members on the new watch? My Wyze band quickly went into my sock drawer after I bought it because I had too many issues with it not syncing with my iPhone. The tiny display and form factor didn’t appeal to me, either. I like Wyze even though I think they’re going through a new discovery phase of building as many products around a known platform that works for them but I do give the folks at Wyze credit for their drive and creativity. Wish I knew of progress with the Wyze Video Doorbell. I’m excited about getting mine. Oh, who am I kidding, I’ll probably buy the the Wyze watch.

3 Likes

Yeah I had issues with my Wyze sense for awhile that I just stopped using it. That’s the only down side of buying a smaller companies products they can be a gamble on how long they will support stuff. I still miss my pebble watch.
What issues are you having with the lock? I almost got one with the Black Friday deal. That’s the one product I dont have because the wife doesn’t trust internet security to open our door. :man_shrugging:

How?

Fitbit, Garmin and many others have bands and watches. They are different products.

3 Likes

Based on the photo in the email, the watch will do everything the band does plus more. Obsolete

2 Likes

I’ve never had a smartwatch before. I’ve always preferred bands. They are thinner and I barely notice them. I think they look better too. As I mentioned before, I prefer wearing a band while I sleep. they are also way cheaper, and can do many of the main features of a smart watch…if I need to surf the internet or do anything with a screen, I have my phone, so smart watches seemed totally pointless. A band can do things a phone can’t, so it made sense to have one (tracking heart rate, sleeping, etc, plus convenience to see date/time), but a smart watch didn’t really add much extra, certainly not for the significant price increase. Other people prefer them over watches for workouts and such too, or to LOOK like they are more health and fitness oriented (that’s the band market).

This is the first smart watch I am likely to ever consider. If I get it, I will continue to use my barely noticeable sleek band at night, and just use the bulkier, brighter smart watch during the day. Let them charge while I switch.

I would still bet that many people will be buying the bands over the smartwatches. I’ve always been a fitness band guy myself. Only Wyze is tempting me into a smart watch. We’ll see what they have to show for it when it launches. :slight_smile: And even if Wyze converts me to a watch, I will still keep and use my band. Others will use them too, such as when they go to the gym, running, etc. I guarantee there are many people who still love bands. It’s okay not to be one of them. A watch might make the band obsolete for you, but it doesn’t make the market for them obsolete.

6 Likes

Exaxtly like Fitbit, Garmin and the others. Again, they are different products for different people at different price points.

New products tend to be more effective at bringing in income than new features for existing products.

That said, if Wyze posted a poll stating something like, “If we could bring out a PC app for viewing your Wyze cameras by March, would you be willing to pay $10 for it?” they would get a lot of yes answers.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’re right, but man would I be excited if it launched for the same price as the band! Talk about revolutionizing the industry!

1 Like

So I see the Wyze is coming out with a watch soon. It kind of negates the Wzye Band now doesn’t it. I am more interested in the watch than my tiny screened Band, depending on the price of course.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m curious what the features are to the Wyze Band besides screen size.

If you can see your Wyze cam from the watch, then its a must buy from me

4 Likes

Oh absolutely, that would be the selling point for me as well.

1 Like