Wyze Video Doorbell interferes with Chamberlain garage door opener

Some CFL bulbs can also cause RF problems like some LED bulbs.

I once had a phone that when charging created ‘noise’ as the charging cycles kicked on and off. It was in a room adjacent to my garage but on the same electrical circuit as the garage door opener causing the remote not to work. The chime could be injecting noise via the power supply. I also experienced the LED issues. Both times if the remote was directly under the opener it worked. I do have a Wyze doorbell but my chime is 2 walls away and definitely on a different circuit.

It may be worth trying the opener on a different circuit. Use an extension cord.

I experienced the same issue with a V3, with an driveway gate. the V3 works, but I can no longer open or shut the gate. I replaced the V3 with a wireless wyze cam and the gate works again. it was definitely the V3 causing the issue. I would have preferred to use the V3, but cannot.

I have Craftsman door openers with the MyQ add-on. My doorbell will probably arrive in a few weeks. Will be interested to watch this thread.

I have a Chamberlain LiftMaster with MyQ hub installed, no led bulb. My Wyze doorbell is installed 20 ft away with the chime plugged in 5 feet closer to garage. One wall separates doorbell/chime from garage. Don’t know if they are on same circuit. I am not experiencing any interference. As ideas, I would try to move chime as far away from garage as possible or try taping a couple layers of tinfoil to side of chime facing garage to see if frequency can be contained or disrupted. Good luck!

It might be possible to use a foil tape inside the doorbell shell to reflect the signal back towards the house, although it might attenuate the wifi signal as well. You’d want to make sure the side of the tape that faces the electronic components was insulated to prevent shorting anything out. It would be even better with a 3D printed skin for the doorbell lined with foil- this would eliminate the chance of breaking anything during disassembly or shorting out any internal components.
It might even be something wyze could provide as an add on. Color matching plastic “skins” to match your house color with or without RF shielding. You couldn’t shield the back of the doorbell though, or the wifi and chime signals would get blocked.

1 Like

None of this makes sense. I wish Wyze would look into it or at least pretend to.
The doorbell transmits in the 900 MHz frequency range to the chime and 2400 MHz for Wifi. The garage door openers are at 315 - 390 MHz.

1 Like

It does happen. I use to have another IP camera brand that interfered with my garage opener. It might be different frequencies but there might be stray frequencies.

It makes sense because the transmitters often have noise spikes at other frequencies.
And sometimes receivers are sensitive to noise at other frequencies as well.

1 Like

It really does not make sense. This issue is not intermittent. These are not random issues with the GDO. It basically stops working the when the doorbell and/or chime is powered on.

1 Like

We are tied 2 - 2 for ‘makes sense’ and ‘doesn’t make sense’ … who’s going to break the tie?? :rofl: (sorry, had to)

2 Likes

https://fccid.io/2AUIUWVDB1/Test-Report/Test-Report-4957365
Look at where the noise peaks are.
I’m not suggesting that this is caused by random interference, the interference is going to be present whenever the chime and the doorbell are both powered.

1 Like

I installed my video doorbell/chime a few days ago. I remotely opened my garage door (attached garage front of house) from my bedroom (back of house) and it worked. The real test will be in the car when I leave/arrive home, but in my case I do not think I will have this apparent interference problem. angus.black is correct on the frequencies he noted above, but I would think that the 900Mhz signal only is generated when the doorbell button is pushed and the chime goes off. True, 900Mhz is within the harmonics of the garage door opener’s 300Mhz band, but the garage door opener’s would be a sub-harmonic and this relationship may be causing the interference. Getting any deeper into this is above my pay grade (LOL)!

Yep. And there’s a noise spike induced on the AC household circuit right about where the opener operates.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same problem. I erroneously thought my wireless keypad garage door opener went bad. However, my new one doesn’t work when mounted. It works when testing directly under the opener. When mounted, it is about 12-18” away from the Wyze Doorbell. I also experienced greatly reduced range of the car openers, although right now they seem adequate.

Going to experiment with changing the location of the keypad.

This is a problem…

Equipment with FCC approval has been tested and certified to not produce RF noise outside of the proper bands or exceeding particular limits. The 300 MHz band for the garage door opener is way too far from the WiFi band to be affected, and the receiver is designed to filter other bands. (Lower frequencies rarely get interference from higher ones. Harmonics are higher, sub-harmonics are lower but very rare).

Interference can be carried through the AC lines. There are several possibilities to track this down. (You might look for an amateur radio operator in your area to help, they are good at this). Run the garage door opener from a battery (or battery and inverter) to isolate it from the AC line as a test. See if that helps. Unplug the chime power supply. Many cheap power adapters produce a lot of interference. If that fixes it, get a better power adapter. If the doorbell camera is running from a 16 or 24V AC transformer, it is unlikely to be the cause, but you can try what someone suggested elsewhere by running the camera from a portable 5V USB power pack. (There is a USB connector below the label on the back).

Apparently you didn’t notice that I posted a link to the FCC report showing that it produces a spike around 300Mhz. Is it below the threshold level? Yes. Does that mean it won’t interfere with other devices on that frequency? Unfortunately, no, it can still interfere with other devices that use that frequency.

You’re right I hadn’t read far enough to get to the link you posted with the certification test results. But you’ve misread the test results graph - the peak is at 0.3 MHz, not at 300 MHz.

The 0.3 MHz interference is on the AC lines.

The 300 MHz interference (326MHz) is later in the test results. It is possible that interferes with something else (everything is possible) but it meets the FCC standards so is unlikely to interfere. As I suggested, an amateur radio operator might be able to help track down and fix the problem.

I haven’t misread anything.
There are several peaks in the 200-433MHz range that might interfere with a 300 MHz frequency. It depends on proximity, and the rejection/filtering on the garage door transceiver.
If you read through the chamberlain transceiver specs as well, you’ll note that it listens on the 900MHz range as well, which certainly doesn’t help.