Wyze Video Doorbell Cam V2 not working with house chime

Not sure if this is going to help anyone or not. I saw all the threads about eating a different transformer. I have an old house and an old transformer so it seemed logical to me. I replaced it and it still would not work. Someone in another post mentioned making sure the do not disturb setting was not on. When I went into the app to check that, I found that when i did the install and said i had an existing chime, it did not add that. It essentially said I had no chime. Once I set it to mechanical chime it worked. Just putting this out there in case the same thing happens somebody else. I felt kind of foolish.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. I don’t think there’s any reason to feel foolish, though. As I mentioned in another topic, this (prompting the user to select the chime type) seems to be a step missing from the installation workflow in the Wyze app. Hopefully that will be corrected in a future update.

Had the same issue and used the alternate wiring instructions which worked for me. Not sure if I had selected mechanical chime before trying this though which I think I might try now.

The chime works without the controller but I think it says somewhere that the controller is still required as it performs a surge protection function or something like that for the doorbell.

I have 2 doorbells, front equals 2 dongs, rear equals 1 dong. I first did the typical wiring that the Wyze apps tells you with the 3 wires with the chime controller. First result equals front chime works as expected. However, rear chime (1 dong) does not. Removed the chime controller and put all wiring back to original setup. Second result equals front chime works and rear chime works (2 dongs and 1 dong). Now, I am concerned that the Wyze doorbell v2 will eventually start doing wonky things without the chime controller because of the surges it will have to endure every time either doorbell is pressed. I tested the voltage on the doorbell wires and it registered as having approximately 19 volts. The alternate wiring method will not work for me since I want to be able to still distinguish between the front and rear dong sounds. Any advice will be helpful, thanks.

Not sure if you meant that you own two Wyze Video Doorbell V2, but I do, and my original doorbell was like yours (ding dong for front door, just dong for rear door). I was able to follow the instructions to wire both the front and the rear cameras, with the included chime controllers, and everything works like it should.

I just did the re-wire trick and only got the one hammer ring. I thought about removing the wyze controller but do not want to damage anything. It is past the 30 days to return my unit. Any other fix updates?

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to your issue or not, but many traditional doorbells have terminals for a FRONT and a REAR door, and, by design, they will “ding-dong” for the FRONT but only “DING” for the REAR. This is done on purpose, so you can distinguish which door is being rung. This could be related to people getting just half the chime.

1 Like

i have the three, front /rear/trans. When putting the red wire on rear and Front I only get the ding. and leaving the white disconnected as per the alt wiring instructions. I saw that for this doorbell you can use the wyze OG cam to act as a chime too. I am going to try that and set the volume up loud and see how it does.

I just came across this thread after several Google searches came up empty.
I just got a new, more powerful, transformer for under $20 from Amazon and now my mechanical chime works with the Wyze doorbell.
Thank you for posting this information.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, @kabal, and thank you for sharing your experience! I’m glad it’s working for you.

Jason,

It’s been almost a year with no follow up. I just finally installed a V2 doorbell I got my father for Christmas, 2023. Same issue. Mechanical bell worked before. Transformer is in the required spec. Wired per directions and the camera works - but the bell does not chime.

What’s going on?

Have you read and tried the alternate wiring instructions?

I don’t see any mention of that in your post history, and that’s something that I imagine Jason and/or Wyze Support would be likely to ask/suggest. :man_shrugging:

Hi, I’m new here to the Wyze forums. I just purchased my wired camera a few nights ago, and installed yesterday. I started to come up with this problem everyone is discussing where no matter how I wired the actual chime box in my house, I could not get it to ring when the doorbell camera was pushed. I rent, so I really didn’t want to get super complicated and update the transformer. It’s an understandable workaround for a homeowner but I am not that lucky contestant lol.

I was pretty ready to give up and go return the thing or just live with no doorbell chime. On a whim, I tried wiring the Wyze Doorbell V2 one last time, and in doing so I flipped my trans red wire and the white front wire on the actual camera itself…

and magically my chime started to work! WITHOUT the Wyze chime converter connected

This may be something that everyone here has already tried, but I only wanted to post about it because

1. I researched online for a while trying to find a fix, and everything lead to instructions on rewiring the chime box/chime converter in different ways - not advising anywhere to try flipping the wires connected to the doorbell
  2. It isn’t in the simple packaging instructions either to attempt to flip those wires.

Simple fix? Yes. Will it work for everyone? I don’t know, but I see this is obviously a struggle for some people with no real solution. I do hope this could be the answer for some.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum, @andria.emily5, and thanks for posting! :wave:

I believe that a situation similar to what you describe was mentioned in a separate topic just recently, though in that case the wires going into the chime box were apparently both red (not red and white), and that user didn’t say whether or not the Chime Controller was installed.

Last year, in that same topic, someone else mentioned that installing the Chime Controller but reversing the wire connections in the instructions solved the problem, and apparently that has worked for other users.

I think it’s helpful to have your note as another possible remedy, because there are several topics discussing this issue, and it’s something I didn’t actually try when I had an issue with my own Video Doorbell v2 recently. I was able to get my in-house chime working again after using the alternate wiring instructions for the Chime Controller, but now the chime sometimes buzzes, rattles, or hums in addition to giving the ding-dong!, so Wyze sent a replacement, which I received just today. This was after months of successful operation using the standard wiring instructions at the time of initial installation and no other changes on my part; something just failed, and for some reason switching to the alternate wiring method worked, but no one at Wyze has explained why. :man_shrugging:

I guess if it fails again, I’ll have your suggestion to try! Thanks!