Wyze Smoke/CO Detector

I don’t know, sorry! Just going to have to keep an eye on the thread to see you when there’s updates done.

It’s been mentioned in this thread before, but bears mentioning again since it’s been almost 2 and a half years since Wyze Smoke/CO Detector was first ‘Wished’. Alexa can monitor and alert you when your s/co detector goes off.

How to set up Alexa Guard on an Amazon Echo http://ow.ly/hmyX30s3etZ

They should come out with a c0 smoke alarm listener for HMS they don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

You can setup your camera to detect smoke/co alarms under settings → alarm settings

Yes, you can do that but please notice that it is not 100% reliable. When I was testing it many cameras just heard sound but didn’t recognize it a smoke alarm.
However, when you have many cameras then probably at least one of them recognizes the fire alarm sound correctly. Same applies to CO alarm.

Yes, why don’t they copy Ring’s alarm audio listener? :hugs:

Nah. We’re looking for integration with HMS. Plus I don’t have a camera indoors.

3 Likes

They have that feature and because it’s not reliable it doesn’t qualify as a “monitored alarm system” for homeowner insurance discounts.

So you’re saying Ring doesn’t offer a discount for fire and c02?

Well, according to this link (1) you can get the same type of certificate and discount as you can get with Wyze. But if it monitors fire and CO with audio the discount should be the same (very small) amount. They report a $20USD/month ($200/annual) subscription includes emergency police, fire and medical response (I would post a link but I’m limited to 2 per post) and estimate that your insurance savings should cover but I can confirm that you won’t save nearly enough without fire and CO discounts.

The other link (2) indicates that the alarms only listen and not sense anything themselves. Maybe because they are dedicated listeners and not cameras with microphones enabled that makes the difference in reliability and performance so they can get certified? QUOTE: Place within 6 inches of existing smoke or CO alarms (for optimal performance, install within 3 inches)

REFERENCES:

1. support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048711732-How-to-get-a-professional-monitoring-certificate-for-your-insurance-company
  2. ring.com/products/alarm-smoke-co-listener

So it is 2022 and it has been 2.5 years since this topic was created. Are we any closer to a date for a product being released? I’d love to replace my Nest Protects that have been finicky. I’d be looking for 8-10+ of these if they were to be released. I just surpassed 100 Wyze devices at Christmas with several others on pre-order or waiting for stock to be replaced. So I am fully invested in Wyze now lol.

1 Like

Completely agree: there are over 400 forum users asking for this, which is a significant number by comparison to other requests. The technology is there, since Wyze competitors offer connected smoke/CA alarms. And I’m confident they would be good sellers: every new and existing HMS customer would be potential buyers, probably of several units. I myself would pick up at least 5 right off the bat.

Wyze, please prioritize core products this instead of squandering your resources on frivolous fluff like light strips, remote control cars, multiple models of ear buds and bath scales, etc!

1 Like

Given that multiple Wyze Cams, which are configured to detect smoke alarms failed to register anything when my Smoke Alarms (Nest) went off yesterday, I am both really hoping Wyze get’s the lead out on this project, as well as fearful of the product’s ability to function.

But considering that this is listed as Researching does give us some hope that maybe, eventually, some year, we will get this.

I just had a regular smoke detector die last night. I really wish they had an update on this I’d buy 3 right now to replace my old units.

1 Like

You would think that any business that gets this level of product interest and is capitalized like Wyze would move this up on the dev timeline. I’m sure there are unique certs required for smoke and co2 detectors but it’s clearly, at minimum, a natural component for monitoring. Just my 2 kopeks.

You can’t lose sight of the fact that smoke and CO detection and alarms are an actual life safety system. Your life might very literally depend on it, so detection and whole-house alarming have to be 100% perfect. A UL listing for a life safety system is hugely different than the UL label on a toaster, and sometimes takes years to get. Couple that with typical users, like those filling the forums, who are trying to put the 50th wifi device on a router that is specified to handle 35 devices, and they wonder why it is unreliable.

2 Likes

I can tell you my Nest Protects are in now way perfect. I have had 5 fail over 4 years. Many false alarms. Some that just act strange.

Perhaps Wyze should take a slightly different tack. Rather than building a product that already exists, follow the approach Wyze has previously taken with some other products, namely partner with another company. Combine existing technology and branding (such as Kidde or First Alert) and add completely unique features, such as WiFi Mesh into the detectors plus a WiFi hub.

Wouldn’t it be nice for a phone app to not only manage the system but also identify what’s wrong with a detector (and which unit)? Wouldn’t it make sense for WiFi Mesh units to be powered through existing wiring and located on ceilings providing better connectivity?

1 Like

I don’t need my smoke detector to do my home wifi. To do a good wifi mesh system is in itself difficult to build and make reliable. Just look at Orbi or any other line that just works. Those units are 100s of dollars. Granted they are also a firewall but still.

What I want is something like what Nest is doing but through Wyze with their own spin on it.

So Wyze’s competitor Nest came out with this product almost 9 years ago now. This has been requested on this thread for 930 days now. It would be great to get some kind of official statement from someone high up at Wyze. Is this something that is coming out in 2022? Can we get a comittment to a quarter or half of the year? Or is this not coming out until at least 2023?

2 Likes