Wyze Sense Contact Sensor Always Open

Frustrating is an understatement. After receiving a new starter kit, the new sensors and bridge they sent me worked for a few open and closes then started giving false readings again. The most frustrating part is the lack of Wyze support. You have to go through the game of twenty questions with several of their support staff before anyone bothers to look at the original ticket. By then you have 4 tickets open with 4 different people and all of them doing the same thing - nothing. Just emailing you canned responses. At this point I got “Wise” to “Wyze” - they’re tactic is to stall you and make you want to rip your hair out hoping you’ll just go away. To add insult to injury, Wyze support supposedly doesn’t even monitor their own forum. Instead they use forum moderators who live here and apparently work for free and who “are not” Wyze employees (Let me know if you’re interested in a shinny new bridge). I wish you luck on trying to get your money back, I tried for close to two weeks to get an refund. I finally gave up. It wasn’t worth my time or energy. Wyze obviously doesn’t care. If they did, they’d provide better support for their obviously buggy products. If you can’t trust a sensor being in it’s correct state of either open or closed - then what’s the point? And the cream de la cream is when you’re post gets flagged for telling the truth about these sensors or when you express legitimate concerns. One last thing… go look at how many Youtube videos they have devoted to helping solve a problem with their sensors or their bridge. I think there is only one compared to all their other sales or “look at the bear in by backyard” videos. Hey, you get what you pay for. Good luck on getting a refund.

2 Likes

I had trouble with one of the wyze sensors. It would only detect in the state it was in (open/closed) when added to the app.
I had to remove it from the app, update the bridge, and then add the sensor back again. Now, it reliably detects open and closed.
When it did not distinguish between the 2 states, the LED would still indicate that it was active/functional.
It has now been 2 weeks and it has not presented any problems.
The first sensor in the kit has worked from the start, did not need any firmware updates.

1 Like

@CheckSixPilot, if you would like, I can see if I can get approval for a refund for you. We apologize for the negative experience that you had with our support team and I will talk to them about your perspective.

We’re looking into making new support content now. The team that would be doing that is different from the team that uploads the community content.

@sithatb, we’re sorry that we haven’t been able to get your sensors working again. Have we offered a replacement to try yet?

Mine are not working, well one is. I have no replacement.

Regards

Paul

2 Likes

Yup, me too. I have 2 sensors that don’t seem to work after multiple attempts.

1 Like

Same here :frowning:

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen Since you seem to be following this thread, could you ask someone in dev or engineering what they think the root cause might be here - this seems to be a developing issue people start playing with sense. Clearly somethings off when you can’t get a signal 15 feet away without attaching a spool of wire or these random on/off steady state issues - something is bent here. I cant believe the performance being reported would be considered acceptable considering the Herculean effort Wyze puts into cam firmware development and regular updates.

1 Like

It’s possible that we won’t have a root cause to offer at this point but I’m happy to ask for you just in case.

For people running into this, please send in support requests through this form and give me the ticket numbers you receive in reply emails.

Submit a request – Wyze

No not yet. I’m just going to return it. I already got a shipping label. As oppose to the sensors, I really do like my Wyze Canam Pan. Maybe I will try and re-order the sensors in the next couple of months in hopes that my product was just a defect.

I was able to get it working fine after playing with it for a while.

Basically, I did it fine first time, but for some reason, it won’t work – I decide to go ahead and add again & again (about 10 times) on both sensor and contact sensor then the newest device added seems to work finally. I removed bad one on app list.

Weird but glad its fine.

gwlj

1 Like

@sithatb, thank you for letting me know. I’m glad that you enjoy your Wyze Cam Pan still! It is definitely possible that you have a defective Wyze Sense unit.

@grantlairdjr, I’m happy that you were able to get it working. Sorry that it was so much trouble!

As bizarrely as it may appear, re-installing the product repeatedly until it works seems to be the best interim workaround :cold_sweat:

Brand new sensor had same issue but stayed closed. It seems to be that the contacts are stuck. I solved my problem by hitting the side where the contact s are located with my finger. A few jabs got them loose and now it is working.

Add me to the list of concerned users of the sense product. I just purchased starter kit and I am no happy with it. The sensors don’t seem to work if they are not close to the bridge. That requirement is absurd given I have a whole house mesh network in use. It seems to be a problem with the signal strength. I tried setting up a contact sensor and a motion sensor on my top floor. My cam pan is on the lower level of my house. The contact sensor always reports “open”. The motion sensor was working, but, after reporting the problem via the app, I was asked to unplug and re-plug the bridge. The motion sensor no longer works. I’m not sure this product is ready for prime time.

Has anyone figure out a resolution to these problems?

After contacting product support, I received a replacement contact sensor. I was not holding out too much hope that the new sensor would resolve my problem. It hasn’t. The sensor will not connect to the bridge if it is not within a short distance from the bridge. Given the proliferation of mesh WIFI networks, I consider this a design flaw. And, yes, I know about the hack to add a wire to increase the radio capabilities. I should not have to hack this product to get it to work. It should work out of the box. And, I should not have to buy an additional camera and bridge simply to get it to work.

While this product (Wyze Sense) is an impressive concept, the implementation is riddled with design flaws. I hope this can be resolved in the future.

1 Like

I do not believe it is a design flaw, there has to be another issue because a design flaw should affect most or all, especially a flaw affecting distance. There are many people that have then far away. My furthest sensor is one floor below the bridge, through 2 walls and a metal door about 75 feet away and works great.

Agreed… I’d love to hear this response! We need product reliability and fast

For whatever it’s worth…one of the two contact sensors in the starter kit that I received NEVER worked correctly. Wyze send me a replacement starter kit. I only swapped out the bad sensor and everything has been working fine now for about 5 months.

I also had the same challenges/delays with the tech support process. I’m thankful that they finally did eventually send me a new kit and it’s been working.

FYI - I own ALL Wyze products and Sense was the only one to give me issues.

4 Likes

Sorry, thank you !!