+15 cams, 8 years (since launch on 2017), and tried almost all their products. Congrats bro, you’re a point in a pool. It’s called statistics, We have a say that “one swallow does not bring the summer” so you can’t translate your experience to the rest of us. Truth is Wyze has actively done things (I’ve listed you some) to diminish our experience, they have betrayed their promises, and there is evidence on multiple forums that they’re either not good, not willing or too slow solving problems. They have actively decided to remove features we had free and always nag you with their subscription no matter how many times you say no. They got greedy long time ago and betrayed their loyal customers.
As are you.
Me and plenty of people complaining for years on this forums so yeah. Bigger pool
I bought 1 camera and got stuck with this same issue, but I wasn’t as patient as you. I figured it should be reasonable to not have to struggle for this very basic feature and just accepted I bought a nice looking camera with lousy software that won’t allow me to use RTSP or local recordings. It’s a shame because I really like the cameras, their magnetic base is awesome, but not something that can’t be replaced with a Tapo and a couple screws 1 inch away from its current spot. Anyways, as much as I like your rant (because I feel the same way) I think that a bad review in the AppStore or Play Store tends to make devs a bit more concerned about their mistakes. Also, unrelated, but how come people actually give advice on flashing custom firmware to just get RTSP? That’s where it got too ridiculous for me.
Users should get to be QA or dev team only if the product/service is for free.
[Mod Edit]
Many of us have issues with our Wyze Cams, and our other IOT and non-Wyze Cameras have zero issues and work as they should….
[MOD EDIT]
Updated the Topic to include Cam-Pan-V3. Like you I thought it was with all cameras
That’s still my understanding based on the original post:
I think most of the recent Forum discussion in other topics where microSD recording (or even recognition of the card) is problematic has been about Cam Pan v3, but other Cam models (notably Cam v3) have been discussed at length in the past as having these kinds of problems.
People sometimes out of frustration tend to exaggerate things, just saying.
In my experience it is failing with all my cams. V1, V2, V3, Pan V2 and Pan V3. My theory is that it is more an issue with the app not showing the videos than the cameras no recording. Because if I take out the MicroSDs, there are some videos recorded (but in most cases the amount of recorded videos is way inferior to what it should have e.g. 2 days real vs 15 days expected
Too much spaghetti thrown on the wall. Reduce the SKU count and FOCUS on core compentcy! Headphones, watches and vacuums are way outside the lines.
B.
It’s a Wyze scam that disables cameras so you subscribe to the cloud.
What is interesting to me is that I have most of the cameras and recently removed the V3’s Pan and Normal. But for the past years, I have had no issues at all with my Cameras and SD Cards.
I am on Android App Version:3.7.5.697
But I am on the following cameras now: V4, Battery Cam Pro, Floodlight Pro, and Pan Cam v4.
My In-Laws have the V2 and V3 Cameras, including the Floodlight v2. I will need to check those to see how they are doing. But when I last checked, they were doing fine.
What is interesting to me is that I have most of the cameras and recently removed the V3’s Pan and Normal. But for the past years, I have had no issues at all with my Cameras and SD Cards.
I am on Android App Version:3.7.5.697
But I am on the following cameras now: V4, Battery Cam Pro, Floodlight Pro, and Pan Cam v4.
My In-Laws have the V2 and V3 Cameras, including the Floodlight v2. I will need to check those to see how they are doing. But when I last checked, they were doing fine.
There seems to be an issue with the latest android app where tapping the “sd card” under the thumbnail of an event just goes to a loading screen then error. I’ve noticed it on an OG, haven’t checked the rest. Going to the SD card normally works fine. OGs have been slow to navigate the SD card for a while too.
The Panv3 had a similar issue a while back too.
Not really related to this discussion, but the point is I think all the SD card issues get lumped together when in reality there are dozens of possible reasons for problems with SD cards. Some Wyze can fix, some they can’t.
Here is something weird that happened with my V4. My neighbour was trimming his side of the hedge and I was watching him live. Later that evening I wanted to show the footage to my wife and there was no recordings in the cloud or on the SD card for almost two days. As if someone had unplugged the camera. If I was at home (I was viewing the live stream remotely at the cottage) I would think that there was no internet. Not sure what happened. I hard rebooted the camera and reformatted the card and all is good now. Keeping an eye and see if it happens again.
Wonder if it wasn’t able to synch NTP and the recordings are in a rogue folder? If you check around the time of your firmware build date, see if there are any recordings there? Just checked the last few days on my v4 and looks like everything is there.
Maybe they knew you were spying and jammed your wifi ![]()
This is how it starts, later on the SD Recording will be blocked by the Brand, it is programmed this way, it is a long-term scam, if you do not sign up they will block your camera.
As if someone had unplugged the camera
Happened to me, too, just last week. I chalked it up to Wyze tinkering with the back end. I shudder to think that they have so much control over the camera that they can stop it from recording.
Incidentally, I discovered that my router has its own ntp server in case it loses internet connection, but I haven’t really tested it.
I checked, there was nothing there.
Maybe they knew you were spying and jammed your wifi
Thought crossed my mind ![]()
Happened to me, too, just last week. I chalked it up to Wyze tinkering with the back end. I shudder to think that they have so much control over the camera that they can stop it from recording.
That is exactly my thought. I hope it was a glitch and not something they did on purpose.
Incidentally, I discovered that my router has its own ntp server in case it loses internet connection, but I haven’t really tested it.
I’ve tested it on an old Asus I had and it works fine, keeps the cam happy and recording in the right spot. The router has to support intercepting/spoofing NTP since Wyze is looking for a specific server.
Haven’t tested it on Ubiquiti (actually haven’t even looked to see if it has it) but I’m sure it would work the same. Luckily my internet and power are both rock solid and on battery backup, so I’m not really concerned enough to bother.
on battery backup
Both my mesh nodes, the modem and my main desktop, are on several UPS devices. Very convenient.
One time, the city lineman was going around upgrading the power meters. He rang the doorbell to warn me that I was about to lose power while he worked on the meter. I was totally unaffected.