Wyze purposely sabotages "Record to MicroSD"

I am not sure why this is the belief. Do you have any facts that will back-up this assumption?

As indicated in my previous post, I am having no issues at all with the SD Cards, nor are my in-laws.

So it is hard to say why this is happening sporadically.

I’ve also wondered where the evidence is that supports these kinds of claims. My Wyze Cams are currently using a Cam Unlimited subscription and I still have one Cam Pan v3 with microSD card issues while another Cam Pan v3 works as expected. They’re also both using the same firmware version, so I think that would tend to rule out certain firmware updates as the culprit, despite what others have suggested elsewhere.

Yeah, that’s a big part of what makes this so puzzling and frustrating, I think. I haven’t been able to determine a pattern to it, but hopefully more logs submitted to the topics I linked above will shed some light for the engineers.

Cam pam v3, I have 2 cameras a little over a year ago that I bought and both stopped recording on the same day and no longer record, they only work for live streaming, only by subscribing to their cloud it works, other models according to other users also have the same problem, the brand does not answer the questions.

Can you provide the following:

  • Android Wyze App Version you are using
  • Firmware version of the camera you have an issue with
  • The SD Card Settings Page
  • Type of SD Card you are using
  • Size of the SD Card

It should also be noted that having a subscription is separate from the SD Card. In the image you have above, there is an entry that shows 8 events, you can expand it to see what those events are.

Finally, have you contacted Wyze, provided a Log of the affected Camera and received a Ticket Number. If so, can you post it here?

OK being the SD card nerd I must to chime in here. There’s a lot of misconceptions around SD cards and although our community has jumped on board a lot quite recently I must admit in the last few years with high endurance SD cards which I’m rather happy to say has worked out for the majority of the community, they are not without their fault. Much like the brakes on your car or the tires on your car, there is still maintenance that needs done for your SD cards that most people don’t realize. Obviously much like a tire on a car, because that’s the best analogy I’ve come up with for SD cards yet the larger they are the, “thicker” They are and the more mileage you get out of them, In the diving I did many years ago which has withstood the test of time, And in talking to certain people that have actually worked on this type of memory, Certain types of maintenance such as regular formatting of your cards will help the longevity of them. Most people think that you get so much mileage so to speak out of SD cards and that is somewhat correct, but not unlike brake pads, they perform better if they’re clean. I try to format all of my samsung pro endurance high Endurance cards ( shameless plug as to what I prefer as i’m yet to have a single one fail) at least once every month or two months, especially if they’re overwriting a lot with say continious recording, now that we have the bigger options versus 32 gigabyte that we had back in the day obviously I don’t have to do it nearly as much especially if I have it on non continuous recording but there’s still some maintenance needed. It is worth mentioning that now having a 4K camera that’s double the resolution and close to double the memory that is needed. It’ll write up twice as quick. There’s something to keep in mind for all you fellow nerds :wink:

To save everyone the TLDR; I’ll just post the overview,

I find it interesting that it says to protect it from static electricity in this because at least with the Samsung Pro Endurance, they are protected to a degree from such things. They’re also protected to a wider degree from the environment such as extreme temperatures. Something I only learned after reading the warranty on the cards making sure that they were covered.

last time I went into a large spiel that thing got quoted anywhere and everywhere on these forums and thus most of the community adopted high endurance SD cards, But alas I don’t think that much is needed here. Everyone can do their own research on how often they should format an SD card in a security camera if they want the deep dive.

why is formatting my SD card good for it?

And there have been instances usually not with high endurance cards because they section themselves, an upside of the multi level type of memory, but in the old days having a single level of memory you would get a cascading avalanche effect and much like Christmas lights when one error starts the whole line doesn’t work. It has gotten better with high endurance cards but things can still happen. Yet another reason I am a huge proponent of regular formats.

This is also one of the reasons that despite my sincerest efforts there’s still one thing that has not been introduced and that is a shortcut allowing us to format selected cameras the way we can shortcut many other options. I wish they would institute this and it’s something I will continue to bug my friends at the company about as I talk to them but alas, right now considering how much time and headache it saves me I guess I’ll go through all 30 Plus cameras every month or two and get it myself. Luckily at least for the most part we do have the micro SD card option in a different area now and it’s much quicker to access.

If anyone wants more information on the benefits of formatting I’m sure I can find greater detail, or if anybody has any questions that I actually might know the answer to I’d be all for it.

Generally speaking I’m onboard with formatting a card regularly to keep it running well. My dash cams I have to do it once or twice a year or they start rebooting with write errors. However the Samsung Pro Endurance in my Wyze almost never get formatted. I don’t want to do it and risk someone asking about footage from a few days ago etc. So far most of them have been chugging happily along continuous recording for a couple years. One OG I upgraded to a v4, I did format it at that point just to avoid the camera being confused. Otherwise it hasn’t been needed.

The other thing that isn’t really clear from that is what they mean by “format”. While a quick format can help with any issues regarding the basic file structure, a full overwrite format (I prefer the utility from sdcard.org) and find and mark bad cells, “refresh” all the cells, etc. It takes a while, but I’ve brought some glitchy cards back to life with it.

You can have your very own SD card corrupting piece o chit Wyze Pan V3

Clearing out the Garbage Cams :winking_face_with_tongue:

As a long time wyze camera user i jave the exact same issue. Tired of ot working for a week to record continuously only to find out a couple of weeks later it stopped recording whe i need it. I have 10 cameras in use plus some spares, my problems have all been mainly with v3 and the pan cams i am about to remove them all for something that i can rely on with paying wyze for subscriptions

This is what I don’t understand. Never had an issue with a V3 and SD card recording in three years. I apologize if you meant Pan V3.

I have not had an issue until the last few months. My v3 cameras were fine and now some are not recording continuously. I have swapped out the sd cards and still same result.

After many unresolved issues I now buy other brands to lower my Wyze risk. I stopped begging for fixes that never come. Moved $ to other brands. Yes breaking free of Wyze loyalty hurts. Learning another system is not easy but it lowers risk. I no longer have to beg Wyze for fixes, I buy another brand. Basic simple Wyze problems never got resolved so now use Wyze on less important facilities. In fairness, all systems have strong and weak points.

I have Nest & Wyze.

Before my shift to Wyze 4+ years ago, I had only 4 Nest cams for over 10 years.

I now have a variety of over 25 Wyze cams (yikes) and still only 4 Nest cams as well as a lot of other Wyze lights, plugs & sensors, etc. (~100 devices)

In general my Wyze cams work well. Right now, all of my SD cards seem to be working fine including a 1TB card that I just installed in new dual pan cam. Periodically I may have a Wyze cam that does not immediately open to or see SD card. Typically a restart of the app or a restart of the cam has solved my issues.

Wyze has been much more helpful and receptive to changes over the past 3 years. I have looked into other cam providers over the years. Wyze is still my product of choice. The recent AMA responses by Bruce confirmed to me this is still a very good choice for my requirements. My cams are helpful for security and awareness but not critical as may be the case for others. I do not think I would use wifi cams as my primary for security, but would definitely augment or supplement.

I have faraday cage (wire mesh in walls) challenges in our home. My biggest challenge with tech in the house including both Nest & Wyze cams has always been wifi.
Issues include my ISP ((Rogers with Shaw in western Canada) keeps doing updates without any change log and there is a lot of interferences for 2.4 ghz wifi including neighbours and utilities, and stucco walls with wire mesh in them, as mentioned.

Yes, I could switch to other cam providers but to date in review other wifi cams have their pros/cons lists as well and I do not want to hardwire my cams.

I still need to read that. I didn’t get around to registering for Reddit and have been busy with other things, but I know some good questions were being asked.

I just checked my 2 V3s and my 5 Pan cams. All but one V3 came right up and I could see any day of history on SD cards of various sizes quite quickly.

One V3 in carport came up offline and was slow to respond after several attempts. I tried several times and was finally able to do a cam restart without having to physically unplug it. This cam is in an area with wifi issues due to distance, etc.. When V3 did come up, all of my history was available including when I could not connect. The only few minutes missing was during the cam restart.

I changed my setting to record “ event only" and it records continuously. I changed it this morning and it recorded all day so far. I did use the format in the app just before changing the settings.

Sometimes it can look confusing. Whichever one is white is enabled (not the grey one).

Just double checked and “event only* is in white (my phone is set to dark theme) on 2 - v3 pro and “continuous” is in white on my 4 other cameras.

I only had issues with 3 cameras that stopped saving to the SD cards. (I’ve had other issues but only talking about SD card issue rn.)

I have 6 wyze camera running. A doorbell v2, 2 - v3 Cam, floodlight v1 includes v3, and 2 - V3 Pro.

If you turn on motion tagging (green box) is there something constantly triggering motion? I’ve never seen any of mine record continuously when set to event only. Maybe a smart detection (the v3 Pro has built in no cost smart detection) is triggering off a parked car or something.

Same here