Wyze Plug goes offline alot

No one apparently, I have tried sending the thread in my correspondance but it just does not get traction.

There are multiple threads that speak to the same issue. The latest version of the indoor plugs have a known firmware issue. So far WYZE has pulled the flawed version and released two different versions to beta testers. The first beta firmware upgrade did not resolve the issue. I havenā€™t heard if this latest beta firmware is working or not. I refuse to become a beta tester because the released firmware is BAD enoughā€¦why would I want to expose myself to beta firmware? heh

Due to the nature of the problem, it is going to take at least a week of testing of beta firmware before it is released to the public. I rather have them take the time to get it right than rush more crap out the door! Which is exactly what WYZE has been doing since the venture capital injection of funds.

I no longer recommend anything WYZE to friends and family. Itā€™s too late though as they all of some cams. Iā€™ve told them to stay away from everything other than the v3ā€™s.

Yup. Throwing mine in trash. Too much time re-installing it only to have it go offline.
FYI: power is direct to wall and other appliances in same outlet work fine.

Agreed. I have about 12 wyze plugs and 4 of them are offline. Deleting them and adding them again is a time suck, not to mention updating my Google routines to (re) include them.

More recently I added Lutron wireless switches and they have had zero issues. There is no comparison to the Wyze plugs.

Itā€™s become sadly clear that this Wyze stuff is garbage. Mad at myself for buying so many of them. Their plugs are unreliable garbage products.

Agreed. I have about 12 wyze plugs and 4 of them are offline. Deleting them and adding them again is a time suck, not to mention updating my Google routines to (re) include them.

More recently I added Lutron wireless switches and they have had zero issues. There is no comparison to the Wyze plugs.

Itā€™s become sadly clear that this Wyze stuff is garbage. Mad at myself for buying so many of them. Their plugs are unreliable garbage products.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on Lutron.

1 Like

We were all fooled

2 Likes

I too have dozens of Wyze devices including vacuum and scale, lightbulbs, plugs etc.

I hate that have NEVER developed a desktop application to view cameras. Phone alone is unacceptable.

Wyze also continually pushes towards their montly cloud. When you fail to do so, they cripple the visual experience on your phone.

Submitted 493556 and 493557 for this issue.

Bought a 2pak this year. One stays connected the other drops every few days. Really annoying.

https://view.wyze.com/

1 Like

All 4 of my plugs are still going offline from time to time. Iā€™m able to unplug and plug them in 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time I have to add them to my account again even though they are connected to my WiFi network. Yup, same old problemā€¦yawn.

I lost communication with my Wyze Plug Outdoor again some time during the night. This is only the second time this has happened, it is too stormy to do an unplug/replug right now though!

How I solved it.
I added a timer before the Wyze Smart Plug to switch it off for 5 or more seconds once a day in a time in which it is not obstructive to its operation. I figured they (all the Smart Plugs I bought) drop their configuration after about 72 to 84 hours of continous operation, so I just shortened the ā€œcontinous operationā€ time to 24 hours.
A cheap timer I use has the code B00P76URH8 in Amazon, but there are many options online or at stores.
Beware!!!
Wyze Smart Plug sends a short pulse in the ā€œONā€ position every time it gets reconnected. They go OFF almost immediately, but it can be a problem depending on the use you give to the device. If this matters to you, you can also add a Delay Relay at some point after the Smart Plug.
Hopefully Wyze will fix both nuances via an update at some point, or release a new version with corrected circuitry. In the mean time, Iā€™m still enjoying Wyze with a bit of extra hacking on my part.
Hope this helps.

This is some good diagnostic info for Wyze support to fix this issue. Iā€™ve given up on resetting mine and have been blinking for over 3 weeks now.

I have to assume it isnā€™t an easy issue to addressā€¦ or resource allocation within company hasnā€™t prioritized this as a big enough issue ā€¦ other thoughts but wonā€™t be purchasing any more plugs until addressed.

Like I have said beforeā€¦easily the most unreliable IOT device I have ever purchased in the last 8 or 9 years.

Hi:

You should be working on the wYZE development team.

This is one of only two solutions or remedies that has been offered

and nothing from anyone in wyze support. To address the first solution,

my network links are fine.

For 4-5 months, there has been a constant issues of these devices going

off line. You would think it would raise some red flags at wyze engineering.

But instead I only see new product announcements.

3 Likes

I had exactly the same problem with my three Wyze plugs. Sometimes they would disconnect. What seems to happen is that the router is assigning a new (different) ip address to the plug. The plug really does not like this. The ip addresses assigned by a router are supposed to be sticky but that is not guaranteed. The ip address can change, especially when you have a lot of devices connected to your wifi (like in a ā€œsmartā€ house). The solution is (as mentioned by some others on this thread) to tell your router to reserve an ip address for each plug. In that way, each plug will always be assigned the same ip address. This solved the problem for me.

Not for me ā€¦DHCP reservation didnā€™t fix it.

2 Likes

Well, my plugs were offline every few days. It has been two weeks since I switched to ip reservations, not a single problem since. You might be facing a different issue.

1 Like