Good evening everyone. I had a corrupt Windows update (or I thought I did) install on my home PC. I went the route to wipe and reinstall Windows to help fix. I get the OS installed and get to a Desktop. I usually start with Windows Updates to grab all the base drivers and install OS updates. I began to have issues connecting to the Windows Update Services. Went down several paths of changing DNS, starting/restarting services, restarting Windows Store and still had issues.
I redownloaded the ISO (I have an MSDN) and a fresh install of Rufus to create the bootable disk. Wiped OS and reinstalled and still having issues. Scratching my head I booted up an older Windows Laptop and got online. I went to try updating Windows and it’s getting the same error on a Win11 Device about not connecting to the update service.
This lead me to look into my Network. And there it is. 20+ Network Threat Prevented, “DNS communication from device Office Router to malicious domain ctldl.windowsupdate.com detected and successfully blocked”.
This is a legitimate site for a Windows machine to call out to receive updates. Which makes more sense why my PC that was updating was stuck and it wasn’t a corrupt update. I am discovering this off of support hours but wanted to know if anyone has had this issue, found a way to Whitelist a legitimate site, and continue on updating.