Wyze Leak Sensor - First Impression

Thank you!

and thank you for the Siren approach… I did not even think of that, I will take a look at that.

I did see that as I was dropping the probe into my Hot Tub (water level monitor)… Performing an non-clean install test now… Worst case scenario I hose a probe. I was going to leave it in there for a few days to see if it withstands submersion.

6 Likes

Best way to do that would be to remove it, because if it gets compromised it will always think it is submerged.

2 Likes

Great review, and I like your early warning system! I ended up putting my sensor+probe behind the fridge so I could know if a slow leak developed at the water connection. I’ve lost a nice wood floor to that one before.

wyze1

I too could use a loud freakout siren that will wake me up right now. Maybe with the doorbell chime or something. I figure I’ll see what can be done with the rules. Maybe turn on all the lights to a certain color. I guess I could also use a plug to turn on a loud alarm, radio, or halloween strobe light or something.

These will be a force multiplier for my old Leak Frogs from Woot!. Not connected, but they make a nice loud beeping sound when leaks are detected.

Too bad these new sensors use button batteries. I’ll order some up.

3 Likes

I have the same frog (and from Woot!) . I liked the setup to detect washer/dryer leak along with it’s shutoff valve.

2 Likes

Let me make my own mistakes :rofl:

Appreciate the info, pulled it out will add some sealant on there and test.

3 Likes

Would be nice if there were also an integration with Alexa as well… If Leak Detected Sound Alarm on Alexa. Maybe another wishlist item.

5 Likes

I love that the sensor and probe can notify of leaks independently… this is a perfect use case for my utility room where I can place the sensor in the water catch basin of my hot water heater and put the probe in the run off drain for the Hot water heater and AC unit. It’s like two in one :+1:

Hindsight… :thinking:shoulda bought additional probes. :wink:

6 Likes

Leak Alarm using 2 v2 Cam Pans and a V3
With Shortcut Siren Shut off…
Learned my lesson with the Wyze Car Jump Video…
!!!IF YOU HAVE HEADPHONES ON OR YOUR VOLUME IS HIGH PLEASE TURN DOWN YOUR SOUND BEFORE WATCHING VIDEO!!!

Rule for Sirens______________Siren Shut Off Shortcut

Thanks for the Tip @Newshound

5 Likes

#prolevelpostoftheday. Thanks! I’ll try this!

3 Likes

What a great tip. I am going to have to do this as well. Hopefully we will be able to link in the V2 Hub Siren soon as well.

3 Likes

I have not used the Wyze leak sensors so I can’t comment on them directly. However, I have used and do use several other brands. Currently using Govee sensors and likely switching to Moen sensors to connect to the Flo Moen valve.

The Moen valve is superior to others on the market in my opinion. When installing equipment like this in your home you really want to have some confidence in the quality and longevity/commitment in the company. The alerts from the Moen device are superior even to my alarm system. I get an email, text, app alert and phone call if the system detects unusual useage/leaks and will then shut the water off. If I have Moen leak sensors then when they are activated they automatically shut the valve off. I was hoping to be able to use other sensors and connect them through IFTTT, but will probably just have to invest in the Moen sensors.

Considering my use of Wyze devices I would convert from the Govee devices to the Wyze, but will not because they are not stand alone products. I have no use for the home monitoring in its current form. As that evolves, perhaps. There is a lot of possibilities beyond intruder security that Wyze could provide in the “home monitoring” space. Nest had an awesome ecosystem being build with “works with Nest” before G screwed that up. With the diversity of Wyze products now, they need to start thinking of how to interconnect within the product line. Lots of stuff, they just don’t work well together.

Great article but some things come to mind with photos bring up the following. Use steel enclosed hoses for ALL interior water supply, underneath sink, bathroom vanities, washer hookups (get those hookups replaced with 1/4 turn on/off valves) and turn off the water to the washer and/or dryer (steam machine) after each batch of laundry. This will keep down the use or need of a leak sensor. I still use the sensor and last week a little loose water trap underneath the kitchen sink went off. Tightened the trap compression ring and not heard a peep since. Going on a vacation (lucky you) turn off your hot water heater the day you leave and shut off the house supply of water at the street. Doing this will also help you if you ever loose power in -5 deg. snowstorms like we had here in Fort Worth last year when the while state went dark for days.

1 Like

Hi All, Great article and to everyone here thanks again for being part of the Wyze Community. We’re all super excited that you are enjoying the leak sensor! Wanted to give a sneak peak into what’s at work. 3rd party integration is most definitely coming. The team is to work to bring even more value for leak protection from both the HMS and hardware ecosystem perspective so stay tuned!

6 Likes

This is awesome news! Allowing them to link to Alexa would make it so useful to have Alexa make announcements such as “LEAK DETECTED FROM (APPLIANCE NAME)” broadcast throughout the whole house, etc. Or the reverse…like, if I keep one in my pet water bowl, it can announce (during daylight hours) when their water bowl gets too low for X amount of time in a row to remind my daughter to do her pet water chore. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work with adding more devices.

BTW @Dchou do you know if the leak sensors will ever count toward the HMS “Monitoring Certificate” that we print off to give to our insurance companies? Right now the Leak Protection isn’t being checked off on the certificate, it still only shows burglary protection. Will you guys be updating it to have Leak protection show or any of the other checkmarks on that certificate besides Burglary?

3 Likes

Thank you for the insight @Dchou. I look forward to these additions and appreciate you joining the discussion.

Any thoughts on using these devices to monitor water levels given their current construction?

And know how to drain your water pipes. At least as much as they can be drained.

1 Like

Lack of an IP is why I don’t have any. I am disappointed by this. I expected a device that plugged in and had an IP number so I could access it remotely like a camera. I wanted to use these for remote monitoring of different buildings.

I am sure V2 of the sensor will be free of Wires and Connectors…
RFF

The V1 is free of wires too, but has an option to add one if you like.

3 Likes

I don’t think I want Wyze to make a version that can’t use a probe. I really like having the option to use the probe. It’s so cool. There are a lot of things I can reach with the probe that normal leak sensors can’t reach or do very well. Plus I can use it as if it is 2 different sensors. Or if I don’t want the probe, I just disconnect it and it works great standalone too. This is a really great benefit over some of the competition IMO.

Has anyone tried this? Out of curiosity, if you disconnect the probe, will it still think the probe got wet if that connector spot gets water on it, thus connecting the circuit? Does it do anything? Does anyone know?

I also wonder if we could leverage that connector to turn a leak sensor into another kind of sensor…say, connect 2 wires to the probe connector spot, then set up a condition that will cause those wires to touch (or stop touching) when something happens…similar to a contact sensor but with way exact precision. A contact sensor is controlled by a magnet and so it has a lot of flexibility. The contact sensor has a range of several inches it can be away from the magnet and still show as connected. The leak sensor ** be able to be easily wired to have exactness and be used in a wide range of options, especially since it is water-resistant and could potentially be used outside (unlike the current contact sensors).

I wonder if anyone will come up with any creative and fun things to do with these by causing a full circuit (connection) to occur or break (disconnection), which this sensor calls a “Leak” or “Cleared Leak” but could be leveraged to be or do almost anything else too…especially since it allows rules and notifications. Now it’s got me thinking. This probe connection is so cool…we might be able to do all sorts of things without ever even having to modify the leak sensor itself at all.

DISCLAIMER:

Sorry, I was mostly thinking out loud to myself here, considering the cool potential these leak sensors have and what I might consider doing with them (in addition to leak or leak clear uses). I definitely don’t recommend anyone try using the leak sensors for anything other than their intended use, as you could inadvertently damage or ruin your sensor, and it wouldn’t be covered by the warranty. I am simply indicating that I might personally be willing to lose one of my own personal sensors to play around like this for fun and see if I can get it to work in other ways, fully accepting I may ruin my own sensor and being okay with having such fun on the possibility I could get it to be used in other DIY ways.

6 Likes