Wyze Hub remains offline after power outage - pathetic

Absolutely pathetic. I have the Wyze Sense Hub and cannot believe how much trouble I’ve had with this hunk of junk. I had to install a light switch in my house, so I had to turn power off to the room where my Wifi modem, router, and Sense Hub were located. I have my Sense Hub connected to my WiFi router via Ethernet cable (did not configure WiFi).

When I completed the repairs and turned the power back on to the room, the Sense Hub remained offline for hours. And because it has a battery backup in it, there’s no way to restart the hub. (Last time I tried pressing the reset button the back and ended up having to re-add 15+ devices… I’m not doing this again.) I’ve tried everything, including searching this forum. It appears many people have the same issue and Wyze has refused to fix this in the firmware for at least two years.

I’ve rebooted my WiFi router, unplugged and re-plugged the Ethernet cable at the hub. Nothing. The firmware is too stupid to know how to reacquire an IP address from the WiFi router. When I log into the router, I don’t see the device listed anywhere and the router can’t see the wired connection to the hub. The Hub is just sitting there now with one of the three lights illuminated.

I’m starting to realize why the service is so cheap and why people go with other security services. This Hub is so easy to defeat. I’d recommend everyone who put the Wyze security shield sticker in their windows to take them down, because that only helps intruders know what steps they need to take to defeat the system. Many homes these days have circuit breaker boxes outside and most homeowners don’t lock them up; all an intruder needs to do with a Wyze security system is turn the power off at the breaker.

Wyze… please wake up and fix this!

firmware version 4.32.13.685

3 Likes

That is a hard reset. It will force a New Setup Required. However, if you do not delete the hub or sensors from the app, the sensors should not need reinstalled.

Have you done a soft reset? Holding the reset for about 5s until the first light flashes and then let go?

Yup. Finally found someone posting about the soft reset. Though, everyone recommends holding for 8 seconds. I did this and all three lights eventually started blinking (~8 seconds). The device performed a soft reset and the device was able to connect to the internet again. This meant I didn’t have to perform a factor reset (short push).

I’d like to point out how backwards the button press duration is. It should be a short press for a soft reset and a long press for a factory reset.

I also emailed Wyze support and here’s the response they finally gave me.

If you still have the same issue, please try to restart/power cycle your Wyze Sense Hub by following the steps below:

Unplug the sense hub from the power socket.
Press and hold the reset button until the status lights change( approximately 8 seconds).
Plug the sense hub back.

Please note:: A short click will reset the Hub and put it in binding mode. Please press constantly for 8 seconds. “power cycle” means reboot or restart.

1 Like

While I agree I’ve not encountered any other brands with such awful network disconnection recovery as Wyze, typically what seems to happen during power outages is the devices all clambor for an IP as soon as they can, while the router is running various pre-checks and whatnot before it starts accepting those device requests. But Wyze products just seem to give up entirely too soon, and refuse to try again until the moon and stars are in alignment.

Try unplugging your Wyze devices and your router. Plug in the router, give it about 5 minutes to handle its business connecting to the internet and your other Wi-Fi devices. Then plug in the Wyze products. Now they can yell “Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!” to get the router’s attention, and the router should actually have time to deal with all the little brats before they stomp away and go on a hunger strike.

2 Likes

A short press is not a Factory Reset. A short press is to initiate a new “Setup” routine. If it is not followed by a new Setup routine they the app, it changes nothing. This is what would be used to provide the Hub with new network credentials without changing any of the other settings saved to the server.

The mid-range, 8s press is a Soft Reset that simply reboots the Hub and saves all settings that were previously saved.

The long press 10-15s is the Factory Reset which will erase all settings saved to the hub, to include Network Credentials, and revert to the stock firmware currently installed. This will absolutely require a new Setup install procedure.

Customer Support has no working experience with the Hub or HMS, only what they can copy and paste from a script. Here in the forum, however, most have already waded thru the same issues and have dealt with the hardware first hand. I have had mine since it was shipped from Pre-Order before release and have tested every Beta firmware since.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I still think the button press duration was a poor choice. A momentary press should be a soft reset in case someone accidentally presses it.

I can’t remember how long ago this occurred (maybe a month ago), AWS crashed and my app was acting very weird. Seemed the hub was misbehaving and the app could not see the hub. Stupidly, I pressed the reset button, which put the hub into pairing mode. But since AWS was the issue, that ended up causing me to have to re-add every sensor after re-adding the hub. Of course, all of this was unnecessary; i just had to wait until AWS was fixed.

I was in a similar situation where I didn’t even realize the hub had dropped offline until I did not get a notice one of the porch doors had blown open. I tried the one second reset and hub said it had synced to network although it still showed as offline. The 8 second or so press did the trick with getting it back online again. Drove me nuts until I came here and found this thread.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re following. You can short press that button over and over until the button falls off - nothing is going to happen. You have to purposely initiate the setup process IN THE APP, after pressing the button, in order to change anything.

The easiest to make mistake, i.e. the short button press, is the only non-destructive use case. That is correct best practice user experience design. Your suggestion, that a short press initiate a soft reset, would be far more confusing and potentially troublesome to an average person who presses it by mistake.

You’re salty about misunderstanding this information and creating unnecessary work to fix your mistake, which is perfectly understandable - but it is still a case of user error, not a product flaw.

I’m upset because there seems to be no documentation for any of this. There’s nothing in the quick start guide, and I can’t find any formal documentation online that talks about the function of the reset button. The support pages doesn’t provide any manuals for the Sense Hub, and the Sense Hub product page doesn’t have any links to documentation, not even the Quick Start guide. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the fact I’ve spent 10 minutes looking for documentation and can’t find it. And the produce page doesn’t seem to even list the Sense Hub https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/categories/360004553112-Products

So you can’t call it “user error” unless there’s documentation that a user was supposed to follow.

1 Like

About a week ago my area experienced an outage (1 hr 52 mins)

I was away. No way to reset it or for it to reconnect itself. I felt powerless.

When I got back, no press option worked.
I tried the hub deletion method (failed).

The reset delete hub option worked earlier this year,
But this time, it failed in this instance. Asking me to setup hub WiFi to my Ethernet connection.

Sadly, I lost all connections and had to reset them all, again.

Very off putting indeed. The battery was ment to offset power failures, right ?

Why won’t it auto connect when the power n router are restored ?
Any time this happens, it’s a crapshoot.

1 Like

I 100% agree. I’ve accidentally hit the button picking the Hub up. A factory reset should be at least ten seconds!!!

1 Like

I’ll give you a thousand dollars if you show me an unedited video where you short press the button and that causes a factory reset without you having to do anything else.

Do you have any smart bulbs in your house? Flick the switch on one of them off and on, about 1 second between each flip, 5 times. The bulb should start flashing, letting you know it’s in pairing mode. But, miraculously, if you just leave it alone, it’ll stop flashing after a short while and surprise, it won’t have lost any of your network settings,

Mine’s still flashing, I better not have to reprogram everything

1 Like

All because it I knocked the power cord out of my Cable Modem last night.

1 Like

Did you try rebooting your router? I’d bet that’s the issue. Sometimes the modem can get mixed up talking to the router when one loses power. Usually rebooting the modem, waiting 60 seconds for it to come fully back online, then turning the router on will fix that.

This happened to me several times this year. The hub goes offline, and then it won’t go back online until I manually re-add it to the system. I really like Wyze cameras and was hoping to be able to use the Wyze hub to monitor my home, but it looks like I’ll have to find another product. I have this installed in a vacation home, and I mainly use it to monitor for water leaks and low temperatures, which is really important in the winter. Having this hub go offline when I’m not there is not acceptable for my use.

4 Likes

I had the same terrible experience with Wyze after investing almost $1K on wyze stuff. Two months ago, the hub stopped responding and after couple of hours with the support, they sent me a replacement unit. last week when I was out of the country, i got an alert that the battery is low then the unit went offline and all the alarm system is disabled.
I was worried for a whole week till I came back. I tried all the possible ways to bring this unit online including soft reset, hard reset, remove power, wait and then reset… , Reboot the router and connect the Ethernet cable later with no response from the unit. The first and the third light are always on with no change after all those tests.

it looks like a firmware issue and having two faulty units in less than 3 months is not a coincidence. wondering if someone else ended up with the same experience befoe

1 Like

Same issue with my Sense Hub. I’m on my third one. Get a notice that my battery is low and next thing no network connection. The first and third light are on and reset button does nothing. I have rebooted the router, tried to re-add the device and still nothing. I’ll try the “turn hub off, power cycle the router, and wait for everything else to connect”. Then I’ll turn the hub back on and see what happens…

1 Like

Found out changing the power cable/adapter fixed the issue. All this time, must have bad cable/adapter .