Wyze Garage Door Controller - First Impression

I just taped the 4 corners. Happy I did because I had to move it.

Mine is doing the same, I rebooted the wyze garage door opener and it opens once then the opener just clicks and doesn’t open or close

Wires aren’t in all the way or you need to do the compatibility check…

Two things I want to mention. I read this tread. I didn’t see where someone said, using one of those Smart Wifi plugs was going to flip your breaker. Its simply like unplugging from that outlet and plugging it back in.

Which brings me to #2. If you are having any problems with your Nexx controller, that requires you to climb the ladder to reset it. You should run a pair of wires from where it attaches to the GDO terminals, down to the wall of the garage, near an outlet for powering it. Then use those new wires to attach to the Nexx. Just because it connects to the GDO terminals, does not mean you can’t extend/add some wires so you move the Nexx where its more convenient to access when you need to reset it.

Very interesting product. Have been thinking of making my garage doors “smart”. Thank for a detailed review.
I have a Wyze v3 camera with a full inside view of a 3 car garage. Is it possible to just buy three controllers and 3 QR codes and have it all driven by one camera ?

1 Like

Thank you and Welcome to the forum @Ish1

It is not, Per the Product Page

Also note that there is difference in the Standard V3 Camera and the V3 Camera that comes with the Garage Door Controller Kit

1 Like

Wow! That’s not what I read (or what was intended, I’m sure) when mentioning the breaker versus a Wyze Plug. What was intended was, “Instead of mounting a Wyze Plug at the socket to open the circuit for the opener, just flip the breaker.” You did read farther down in the thread to see my reply, because you also mention it. However, stringing the amount of wire, not to mention moving the (d@@*d) ladder the number of times to string it, just has no appeal to me at all. I did think about that very process when I was installing the Nexx controller, but NAH!

Have you checked the online compatibility checker before purchasing? Your garage opener has a yellow Learn button, which is not compatible.

The camera and the controller do communicate with each other, so they can’t be separated.

1 Like

How are you going to connect all three controllers to the camera with it limited length pigtail sitting on the side of your garage? So any QR code knows which one its supposed to report on?

Hi @DrDeRise, we are working on releasing a controller firmware hotfix today. It should fix the issue you encountered.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification to my question!

You can adhere the QR code sticker on a cardboard board and stick the board on your garage door so you can easily move it when you needed. You can also ask Wyze customer support to send you one if they have extra. The QR code sticker is printed with metallic ink when is visible under the IR night vision at night. Printing at home by a normal printer and ink is not recommended

1 Like

@PaulGrace look at the tail USB cable behind your Wyze Cam v3 from the GDC complete kit, it is round-shaped

@WyzeHongfei can you tell us please about the relay rating (amps/volt) and the period of (inching)?

Regarding the issue of compatibility: My new Genie opener - which has wi-fi built in, was very specific about how to connect the wires from it to the push-button that can open and close the door. Polarity for a two-wire circuit seems a bit strange, but in this case necessary. The termination of the wires is in a box that also has the capability to turn on the light in the opener, and lock the closed opener. It’s easy to understand why just shorting the two wires from the push-button won’t work. Probably the answer for all the openers not compatible with the Wyze.

I believe the communication between the button and the door opener uses the time of contact closure to determine the action taken. To turn on the light might only be a closure of a few milliseconds whereas opening the door requires a closure of half a second or more. Polarity might be important since the signal wires also provide voltage for the logic on the switch board to provide the pulse timing. If you are just providing a contact closure then polarity is irrelevant.

Jeff

All three features can still be controlled via one wire using PWM style coding. The “pulse” is a square wave with distinct rising and falling edge. So it could work like this:

• Pulse length less than 20ms => trigger garage light
  • Pulse length between 40ms and 220ms => trigger door lock
  • Pulse length greater than 250ms => trigger garage door motor

Where ms = milliseconds.

Could add even more functions by dividing up the pulse width into more non-overlapping durations. The electronics can easily see these rise and falling edges on just a single wire.

PWM is very common encoding style and is easy to implement. Though can’t be sure what tricks or security that some advanced garage door openers use these days.

If the Wyze software allowed multiple arbitrary user-defined “inching” durations, you could activate all features of the garage door opener.

Is there a recommended minimum or maximum distance between the camera and the QR code placement?

And you found one problem with the Wyze setup. The QR code needs to be high on the door to appear over the top of vehicles. In my case, I have transom windows across the entire top panel of the door and unless I want to block a window, I have to mount it lower. Luckily I usually only have one vehicle in the garage.