Wyze Cam v4 - Released 3/26/2024

Does Edge AI Person Detection on Cam v4 actually work without a subscription? I’m considering some of these since they’re currently on sale and I have a potential application for them, but I haven’t found a consistent answer here in the Forum or on the Support site.

The Introducing Wyze Cam v4 article seems to indicate that on-camera Person Detection is included, as it says this:

• Edge AI. Faster notifications, more accurate detections, while supporting Smart Focus.

* Edge AI Person Detection is included with Wyze Cam v4 and Wyze Cam v3 Pro, powered by the cameras’ on-board chip, rather than relying on the cloud. It is not as powerful as Wyze AI Person Detection, included with Cam Plus and Cam Protect, and does not include any other smart features.

Another article, Is Wyze Cam v4 compatible with Cam Plus Lite?, seems to confirm this:

Due to its on-board Edge AI, which includes Person Detection, it is only compatible with Cam Plus and Cam Unlimited.

Another article, What’s the difference between Wyze AI and Edge AI?, however, seems to imply that a subscription is necessary in order to enjoy that feature on Cam v4:

On Wyze Cam v4 with a paid subscription, you get the features of Edge AI and Fast Notifications.

Which is it? What’s the correct message here?

This third article is the only place I’ve seen so far in official Wyze communication that indicates a subscription is required for what is otherwise described as a feature built into the camera, so I hope someone else can appreciate my confusion. I’m also aware that Wyze Support articles often contain inaccurate information, and I have submitted to Support requests for clarification in the past (and am currently trying to get them to fix other things on the Support site that are broken and out of date).

I haven’t yet seen a direct and satisfactory answer to this question on the Forum, and I have read several topics in their entirety while trying to find such an answer (including watching a linked video review that says more than once that the Cam v4 does NOT have on-board person detection, but this seems suspect because the video has other inaccurate information and it isn’t Wyze’s official messaging).

What say ye, subscriptionless Cam v4 users?

1 Like