Wyze cam V3 stuck on solid red light

They said they fixed the bug that caused the cameras to brick, but they never said anything about fixing bricked cameras as far as I can tell.

Were you able to see those files content? Those files are not binaries and therefore can be read by any text editor. Now be careful to make sure (if you open them using Notepad) that you run dos2unix against them.

I generated the part.dat file and extracted out the files from that. I am able to view the contents of the .product_config and the MD5.xxx.config files just fine within a raspbian linux environment.

My card got used elsewhere. I did get a replacement but maybe the broken one can be saved for parts.

Ok. I am not sure how important .product_config file permissions are… but I take it your .product_config permissions have not changed. SoI guess your issue differs from others like me. Hopefully someone will be able to figure out what will fix your last cam.

To retrieve .product_config you don’t need to use a specific SD card. The deleted file to be restored is on the cam internal flash memory.

1 Like

I could never get the cam to work and there was no way to see any files. I saved the instructions, but would need someone to walk me through the process because I wouldn’t know what I was doing or where to even start.

I just updated my software to v. 4.36.10.2700 that was released on October 18th. It listed a fix for the issue of bricking the V3s after an update.

Surprise surprise: my V3 cam bricked!!

I tried power cycling for even up to 5 minutes at a time! Trying to factory reset via holding the setup button for, like, 45 seconds didn’t work either.

It’s just stick at the solid red light. The only noise it ever makes is an occasional quiet clicking noise but that doesn’t seem to be triggered by me at all. It’s just kinda random.

If anyone knows a recent fix, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

Hi Eller_E, I’m going to try to let Gwendolyn (support) know about this.
@UserCustomerGwen Please review Eller_E’s post about the latest update bricking one of her V3 cams. I know this update is limited release right now…but I think Wyze needs to keep an eye out for more of these, just in case the update is actually causing another round of bricking cams.
Thanks,
Richard Leavitt (dabassmann)

Hi Eller,

Sorry to hear that your camera stop working. Do you happen to have an sd card inside the camera?

I also just updated to v.4.36.10.2700 and my camera’s stuck on solid red, even after attempting to power cycle and factory reset.

I tried to flash firmware using a microSD card but I was still blocked by a solid red light. I think the update bricked it :slightly_frowning_face:

Thanks,
Chris

I reported yours to the Wyze Support as well as Eller_E. Hopefully they’ll stop this release before it bricks too many more!!!

1 Like

I did at the time of the update. I have since taken it out and put it in my backup v2 camera so that this portion of my home is still monitored.

The camera’s behavior didn’t change whether the card was in or not.

I have yet to see Wyze provide a solution to fix bricked cameras that are out of warranty like mine.

I am just thinking if you could collect some logs for me using that SD card. If you bootup that camera and sees red light (maybe a flicker sound coming from camera also). Then take out the sd card, wait a sec and re-insert. Then you will hear two “ding” sound coming from camera (usually take less than 30 secs). Then on the sd card → log folder we will be able to see the device log and check what has happened.

Thank you in advance!

If you go up higher in this ticket, you’ll see the only solution that’s ever worked (see posts by IIW and JeffB)…basically you must be a linux guru, and in layman’s terms have a way to reconstruct the config file that has the “secret” code that encrypts each camera’s individual fingerprint. I’ve had a bricked V3 for over a year now, and I also have 5 other V3’s that are perfectly fine. I’m waiting for Wyze to create a fix… I’m not holding my breathe. So basically, there is something that is corrupting the config in a select few of the V3’s that has been present for over a year. The newest release obviously tampered with that code, but it’s hasn’t completely fixed it or you wouldn’t be reporting these new cases. We’ve heard of a case or two this year, but your two cases are back to back after installing that new release. I’ve contacted their main Support people and they are looking into it. I also “suggested” that they pull this release until they understand what is happening.
Sorry, but that’s the best I can offer. If you’re a Linux guru, I encourage you to look at those guys posts in this ticket as they have been successful in rebuilding about 6 out of 10 cameras so far.

1 Like

Sadly, I don’t have the ability to access the data in the card (it’s a micro and I don’t have an adapter) nor do I have the technical know how to edit information in said card.

I can access the card, but it’s a lot deeper than that, it’s in hidden folders that Windows cannot see, but Linux can, and you have to have a special adapter just to tap into it. So basically, I’m just holding onto mine in hopes that Wyze will eventually release a real fix for all of the bricked ones. If your V3 is still in warranty, or even real close, Wyze will probably send you a replacement as they are VERY aware of the problem. Otherwise, it’s a fancy paperweight until they can fix it. Sorry!

That is true in one condition. If you are able to hear “ding-ding” sound after insert the sd card. Which means the firmware is still able to store the device log into the card folder. This folder is not hidden and can directly be read through regular adapter. However if you can’t hear any sound after insert then that is a different scenario.

If you could give it a try I would really appreciate that. Thank you!

Thanks WyzeDesmond, I don’t know about Eller_E’s cam… so perhaps she can try that. However, she’s already said she doesn’t have an SD card reader, so she’s have to obtain one from a store or friend. When I did all the testing on mine last year, it was totally dead, never made a sound, only showed the Red Solid Light… I spent days troubleshooting it. Hopefully she’ll have better luck.