Wyze Cam V3 Power Supply Cable Recommendation

Great Camera. 6’ power cord fails to hit the mark.

Is there a recommendation for a USB power cable extension in the range of 25’? Most cables indicate that they are not recommended for USB / webcams.

thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @DarthVader and welcome to the community.
I can not recomend a cable at this time. It is my understanding the camera has an attached cable with a boot to cover the mating connection for weather considerations.

The physical size of that boot may limit what type of cable can be used. The cable supplies power to the camera but not used for transfer of video.

I’m thinking this does not fall into the webcam category which would require shielding from an adjacent video monitor.

2 Likes

I don’t have a v3 in hand yet, but it looks like the attached cable merely extends the port out while weatherproofing the internals. I would think any extension cable would plug into the pigtail hanging out the back of the v3.

1 Like

Some of my USB cables have big square plastic ends which don’t fit into many recessed connectors.

1 Like

I hear ya. :+1:

I’m currently using these for my v2s in outdoor housings. The plug ends are similar to the Wyze ends, so I’m hoping they’ll work on the v3 cams.
https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Compatible-WyzeCam-Charging-Security/dp/B07928RNPZ/

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for the tip @Seapup! 1 item added to Wishlist (Amazon that is)

1 Like

The rubber ring can be slid around on the pigtail plug, so you can use any cable (like @Seapup listed) as long as it isn’t square like @dr.know said.
I’m not entirely sure, but using a Non-Wyze cable may void your warranty. I don’t think you’ll have any issues with water getting in if you use the rub ring to seal the connection.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the outdoor protective cases that fit V1 and V2 will fit V3?

1 Like

That was covered in the main V3 thread here:

2 Likes

In your search, “wyze+25’ cable” google is funny about how searches are written

1 Like

Hello People,
When I bought longer power cords for some of my V2s, I discovered the mico ends to be too large openings provided for it. I found that they were easy to grind down as per the pictures below. The piece of wood shown is to make an eyeball comparison of grinding progress relative to a Wyze plug.

Be careful not to grind part of your fingertips. Resizing could also be accomplished with sharp knives.

4 Likes

Yes, any power source that could physically fit in the V2’s recessed hole should work fine on the V3.

1 Like

If you have a decent extension cord, use that to provide a/c closer to your camera’s home

1 Like

*I have preordered 4 units but have a question. Do you have a power cable splitter that would enable me to use one (existing power cable that was VERY difficult to install) to split it enabling me to power both cameras? Losing the USB is ok IF other options other than running a new power cable to current users is a problem and should have been considered into this updated version.

5 Likes

@just4pickels I ordered this today because I am in a similar situation… I will let you know how it works…
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Splitter-extension-charge-Galaxy/dp/B00ISLNSH0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2SODP3537Q1FD&dchild=1&keywords=micro+usb+splitter+female+to+2+male&qid=1607032386&sprefix=micro+usb+splitter%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-3

The short cable on the V3 will connect to any Wyze power cord… Other compatible cords often have an odd shaped casing around the connector that doesn’t fit in the protective sleeve on the short camera attached cord

If the extra length would not be exposed outside, an alternative would be to use a USB extension cable in addition to the included cable.

I currently use a USB extension cable that is 42.5’ long and have no problems with it

1 Like

@just4pickels
I used that adapter and it worked great. The v3 USB has a rubber sleeve that slides over the connection and gives it protection from the weather.

1 Like

Hello, Big_monkey.
In the past when I used longer power cords for my V2s, the micro USB end sometimes needed to be modified to fit into the camera. This link shows how I modified the micro USB terminal:
Making a micro USB fit into the back of a WYZE V2 or Pan camera
This method should be adaptable to the V3 connection as long as a smooth modified surface was obtained to resist water intrusion.
Victor Maletic.

1 Like