Wyze Cam V3 - Internet Connection

Have Wyze Cam V2’s and they connect to the internet and hold a connection. Under device info, they show the internet strength.

Several Wyze Cam V3’s and they connected to the internet but drop out constantly on live playback (I created a house group of 4 Cams, 3x V3 and 1x V2 pan) and the V3s constantly drop off. When you go to device info on all 3 V3s, there are 3 empty bars showing. On the V2 pan camera, there are 2 full bars showing. All camera’s are within 15’ of a router so signal strength is good. The V2 pan and 1 V3 are within 5’ of each other.

Some people say they are better than the V2s for signal strength and some say worse. I wonder if it’s a quality control issue. (Or just a YMMV WiFi issue.)

I have a weak area for the WiFi signal, V2’s work there but so far 3 V3’s have been tried there and they all have WiFi signal issues and eventually drop out.

Moving camera while still plugged in to where the signal is stronger the V3 connects.

Definitely the V3 has a slightly weaker WiFi than the V2

1 Like

My V3 is doing the same thing. Drops connection off and on

The V3’s are strange in that some have no issues with the connection and others do. There doesn’t seem to be any common denominator either. However, I’m pretty convinced that some routers just don’t work as well with V3’s, possibly just something in the way certain routers work with their band steering or something. .

I say this because I was one that had MAJOR problems with my first two V3’s but never with the V2’s. My issue was solved by replacing my router.

Let me explain. I had a really good AC2200 Tri-band router with 4 big antennas sticking out of it. I never had a signal issue with any of my 5 V2’s and Pan cams. One of my V2’s streams 24/7/365 on two wall mounted android tablets. My TV service is all streaming and I could even stream on 3 TV’s around the house simultaneously, including 4K along with tons of smart devices, computers, etc, without a skip. Anyway, I replaced that 24/7 V2 with a V3 and it would connect fine, but constantly drop to 0kbs and lose connection. It wouldn’t last for more than a few minutes befor slowing down and dropping connection. Tried a second V3 and had the exact same issue even though that one was even closer to the router. Even tried the V3 in the same room as the router.

The only other WiFi issue I had was our printer started also dropping offline a lot. I decided to change my router and bought an eero Pro mesh router with 2 beacons and magically, both of those same exact V3 cameras began working perfectly. I can sometimes go a week without the 24/7 feed dropping from the wall mounted Android tablets, and I think when they do, it’s just things going on with the tablets like updates and such. I now have 3 V3’s and 2 V2’s all working great.

I’m not suggesting that you go out and buy an erro or other new router, but I’m convinced based on my experience and several other posts on here that some routers just don’t play nice with the V3 for some reason.

One thing you may try is ungrouping. It may not help the V3, but when my wife used to group V2’s, It caused problems for us. That was over a year ago and several app versions ago so it may be okay now.

1 Like

I’ve got two V3’s, one in my front yard, about 20’ from the house, the other in the back yard, on the back of a shed. It’s about 40’ from the house, and another 15’ from my router. I also have two Ring cams outside, one on the front porch, the other on the far end of the attached garage. I have not had an issue with the V3’s or V2’s losing connection.
I use a Orbi WiFi 6 mesh system, which even though I have a pretty small home, was a necessity for getting a good signal from the main router (at the opposite side of the house from the garage) to the other end of the house. Router specs for coverage are WAY exaggerated and no where near what you get in real life.
In short, you probably have to move your router to somewhere closer to your cameras, or get a wifi extender or mesh network.

1 Like

What is interesting is I have the Orbi RBR50. What I might try is moving one of the V3s over to the Verizon router to see if that gives better connectivity but that is not in the best location.

I’ve 2 V3’s deployed outside.
One on the side of the house, about 60’ from the router and through 5 interior standard drywall frame construction plus an exterior vinyl siding wall. This is showing 3 empty bars.
The other was mounted on the side of my FORMER metal carport, which collapsed last Wednesday night at 7:30:47 pm CST. Caught on camera.

That was about 80 or 90 feet away through an exterior brick wall diagonally, then free air. IIRC it had been showing 3 empty bars. It has since been repositioned INSIDE the wreckage to monitor the melting of the snow/ice, The signal is now going through an additional 2 or 3 layers of the metal shed roof & walls and still connecting with 3 empty bars.
So I’ve found those 2 V3’s to get very great network connection.

1 Like

It seems the v3’s are VERY iffy on their wireless connection - I have a mesh system (Asus), and 2 of the cameras won’t connect 10 feet away through a single wall (they have connected once in a great while, as in <10% - so I know it’s working - just very poorly)

1 Like

Sorry to see that. Hope all is well.

Glad to hear your V3’s were working even though there appeared to be a signal issue. I had sporadic issues, but have recently replaced my Mesh Network with the Deco X60’s. Signal is great and connections work well.

I believe my issue had to do with over powering the network. I had 3 Deco P7’s with issue. I have gone down to 2, one at each end of the house. Fingers crossed, but everything is stable and full signal.

1 Like

My signal is -45dB to -50dB (as tested by separate signal meter), well within the range any normal device should work with (-58dB is generally considered the low point for 2.4GHz, so this is ~10x stronger). I even managed to tweak the orientation so that changed to -38dB to -42dB - almost 100x stronger than “minimum” - and still it never re-connected. So there is definitely something wrong with my units.

Possible, I believe my issue was with my network. Even though nothing else had issues, I was able to get a more reliable Wyze experience. Having 3 AP’s may have over powered the system. I upgraded to the X60 and only put 2 of the 3 down. still testing to see if the experience improves. I always have the option of putting the third one in. I am testing for about 1 week and will see how it goes. Will update my findings then.

I have wifi issues with V3. It replaced a V2 cam that was outside facing driveway. It has worked for two years off an ORBI Mesh (RBR50) satellite almost flawlessly. The V3 won’t even connect. Actually it did once for about a second. The time did not update and it immediately lost the connection. I’ve been trying for three days with no luck. Popped the old V2 up there. Worked fine. V3 still won’t connect. I moved it inside the garage where I had a pancam which never had a problem. The V3 connects about 50% of the time and drops after a few minutes.

I don’t know what I can conclude other than the wifi is not as good on the V3. That’s a shame, too, because it was advertised as stronger, and being outside I wanted the weatherproof feature (though four v2’s have never had a problem outside for two to three years in Cleveland weather)!

1 Like

I’ve got a V3 mounted outside of a shed, and about 75’ from the nearest satellite of my mesh network, and another V3 on the other side of the house, about 30’ from the same satellite. Neither has never failed to connect or stay connected. I’ve had some V2’s that would be less reliable than others in staying connected. What I’m getting at is that this may not be a matter of V3’s being better or worse than V2’s, but may just be a matter of that particular V3 having an issue. I’d try and see if another V3 works better.

1 Like

I’ve given the camera two days and I’m done trying to make it work. I have four V2 without issues. This one V3 gets a connection then just drops. I need to go and unplug it or give it a good while to restore signal.

I was eager to add to my collection of Wyze but there’s certainly an issue with quality control with the V3. Many have had good signal where as many have poor signal.

I picked it up knowing the company has fallen to the way side on its promise for rtsp but now with these wifi issues when it’s close to my router I think I’m done.

I just want a solution that works with the options the company says will be there.

In Canada these are $50 so getting something that connects and doesn’t need to be rebooted constantly is a reasonable ask.

The V2’s have far better WiFi signal levels than the V3 as I found out when replacing all V2 cameras.

I ended up adding another satellite mesh WAP to make signal stronger in an area that V2’s had No Issues.

Since I added the additional mesh system WAP (Wireless Access Point) the V3 cameras are working fine.

Now a month later and I can tell for sure that the V2s had better and more reliable connectivity. I have several of both and know this for sure. Adding an ORBI Mesh Satellite (I already Have three) is an expensive option. Ugh. Can’t believe I have to replace the V3 outside with a V2 like I used to have.

I presume it’s hardware and no firmware upgrade will help, but I hope I’m wrong. Wouldn’t it be fun to know exactly what wifi component they switched to that caused this? And they advertised it would be better on top of it.

I have a v2 and will put it in its place and return the v3.

I was going to “deal” with the fact that they dropped the ball on the RTSP promise but now poor signal issues compared to v2? Nope going back.