Wyze Cam v3 and SD Card Larger than 32GB

Hello Community,
I received my pre-ordered Wyze Cam 3 and have already found that a 32GB SD card fills much too quickly to be useful. I have canvassed the message board for info about using a larger size, and there is no clear guidance.

Are folks having success using larger cards (say, 128GB)? Some messages say the card can formatted as FAT32 using some free software, others say they cannot get the card to work in the v3 cam.

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

All cards are not made equal, All sellers are not honest,
After several “whoops, didn’t work” I settled on a couple of Wyze cards (so support couldn’t complain) and now I’ve about 25 of the 32GB Samsung EVO bought from the Samsung store on Amazon.

Thanks. Your response isn’t really responsive to my question. I’m aware there are counterfeit cards out there. The issue is whether the Wyze Cam 3 is compatible with SD cards larger than 32GB, and if so, how and which cards.

1 Like

I have put 64GB cards in every Wyze camera that I own - 17 V2, two Pan, and four V3. The V3s were a little more picky on initially getting them to work - depending on how the card was formatted, but they all worked.
I am exclusively using SanDisk High Endurance cards:

I have used a few other cards initially (including the Wyze branded cards) that were NOT high endurance, and none of them lasted very long. I have all cameras set for continuous recording.

6 Likes

Hi. Thanks for this. (1) About how many days of video are you able to get on the 64GB card? (2) Did you have to do the FAT32 formatting trick to get them to work? If not, what did you do?

(I’m only looking at high endurance cards from either San Disk or Samsung that I can get at a local big box to avoid any chance of a counterfeit. So quality of the card should not be a problem.)

1 Like

I’m getting about 5 days 13 hours and 30 minutes on a 64GB card with a v3 cam in HD mode using these cards. Double that time for a 128GB card. If you have a MacOS computer, run Disk Utility against your card and specify MS-DOS (FAT) as the format.

3 Likes

This is the info I needed. Thanks so much.

1 Like

The only problem I’ve found using larger than recommended cards in Wyze cams is that the larger the card, the longer it takes for the app to load your playback video… exponentially longer. That trade-off is worth it to me and my neighbors when it comes to retrieving footage for authorities. I find that 64GB is tolerable. 128GB is frustratingly slow but necessary for a few of my critical cams.

3 Likes

More helpful info! Thanks. I am estimating that I need 7 days, more would be nice, to be convenient for when we can start traveling again. Rotating the SD card is not going to be a high priority on the night before a trip, for example, or asking a neighbor, “Hey, I have this cam, but it can only use a 32GB SD card . . .” and so on.

1 Like

I initially had problems getting my V3’s to recognize the 64GB cards, including the Samsung High Endurance. What did the trick for me was to use a free formatting program called GUIFormat to format the cards. After that, all three different types of cards I have worked.

3 Likes

BTW, recording in SD mode instead of HD mode more than doubles the recording time. My sole purpose of continuous recording is for potential video transfer to authorities for identification and insurance purposes, so I prefer to record the most detail possible.

1 Like

Yep, I use the same on a Windows PC. :+1:

Hi @ajkenis and welcome to the community forum! :slightly_smiling_face:
Been using a SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-1 for over a month with no problems. The 64GB came factory format with FAT32, very much plug and play.

3 Likes

Thanks again Seapup and raym64 and dr.know. I’m going to go with a 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance card. If I have any trouble, I’ll come back here to report.

1 Like

your local card nerd here…just wanted to say hi :slight_smile:

3aef639577c30948914eddc4abcbf09c

@ajkenis I started a thread many moon ago and occasionally I’ll use this as reference for different cards and user experiences. if you happen to have any adverse effects with any cards throw your take on and experience in here. I am yet to see any high endurance cards error out the way regular cards do but with the changes in cams and abilities, you can never be totally certain.

2 Likes

ty for the info on the cards

yours is the most informative on this topic i have seen

2 Likes

FWIW, the new “high endurance” cards are not much more expensive (maybe 10% more) and are better choice for cameras that re-write a card often. They were designed primarily for the dash cam market.

I have a few “regular” SD cards that I managed to wear out in about a year. The “high endurance” cards have bigger memory cells and apparently they can take many more write cycles before they reach end of life.

And, fwiw, the day a card starts giving you the tiniest bit of grief, toss it. I have managed to reformat a few and get them to work again but that trick often only holds out for a few days.

2 Likes

Very good point. However you may not need to toss it. If you have non-critical requirements, you may well be able to use a worn out camera card. Part of the issue with SD cards wearing out is that cameras require constant write operation. As they age, write speed goes down, so a card that won’t work for a video camera may work just fine for a long time in a still camera for example. However, as inexpensive as SD cards have become, it may not be worth the effort. Last year I paid about $30.50 for a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I U3 A2 V30 128GB for my drone (which requires a much faster write speed than my Wyze cameras). 64GB class 10 cards are down to about $10 - $12 each.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Not very good Customer Service

I’ve been very fortunate that all my SSD and uSD have failed in the read-only state.
The new SSD apps keep a better watch on drive health, easy to see any degradation.
When the write speed starts to tank, swap them out and keep it as a backup.