Wyze Cam v2 unresponsive after firmware upgrade

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mind PM me the router brand and model you are using? We want to do further investigation on this case. For the two problematic ones, if they are still offline, do you mind help us getting another SD card log files from them? Thank you very much.

If the LED light is solid yellow. Please try to manually flash the firmware to recover them. Here is the instruction for firmware flashing, https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031490871-How-to-flash-your-Wyze-Cam-firmware-manually

Iā€™ll send a message to you now.

I want to flash older stable firmware, but it is not available, this is the message on the firmware page:

Due to the security improvement on this firmware, you will need to go through the setup process for your camera if you go back to firmware 4.9.8.1002 or below. Because of this, we are removing those firmware files from this page.

older firmware still available.

read this thread

2 Likes

Iā€™m pulling it now to flash, thank you.

@WyzeBaohua I had a camera that was ā€œstableā€ for a few minutes until I rebooted it. Iā€™m flashing old firmware and rebooting again

@WyzeBaohua it does not work, sorry. The LED stays yellow/amber, disappears for a split second roughly every 5 seconds. The camera clicks rhythmically, there does not seem to be a way beyond this point. I tried holding the reset button for probably 2 minutes, I tried holding it before plugging in the power. I tried both with and without the SD card that has the older firmware - nothing. 3 out of 10 cameras died in the process and the supportā€™s reaction was along the lines of ā€œtoo bad so sadā€, so I am out $150. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I tried to flash the older firmware and the light never goes blue on my V2. Reading through that other thread it seems like this isnā€™t just a ā€œmeā€ issue.

1 Like

Sorry for the trouble. Could you please PM me the MAC of your device? I will follow up with you there. Thanks

@WyzeBaohua Done. Thank you.

Can the MAC serial number disappeared in Wyze server?
Why would that happen during update?

The MAC is on the sticker on the bottom of the camera as well

I was thinking the MAC address that Wyze used to mask over the OEM MAC address disappeared after 1433 or 1472 firmware flush.

My theory is that This is why no connection even after back down to older firmware. as Wyze server only responding to their Mask Over MAC address.

I think Wyze can push a MAC patch through their server.

I suggest everyone with problem should submit a log.

also Wyze mentioned in another thread regarding wifi password can only be 21 characters in new firmware

Itā€™s 100% the long WiFi password issue. I was able to connect to one of my other SSIDs with a password shorter than 21 characters and it worked just fine after reboot.

I just flashed the older firmware on my 2 V2s that werenā€™t working to stabilize them until thereā€™s a fix.

2 Likes

1472 just bricked 3 V2s :tada:

1 Like

Just spent the morning changing devices to match a new shorter wifi password, and resolved everything running latest firmware across a variety of Wyze cameras (Cam v2, Pan v1, Pan v2, Cam v3)

Wyze, yā€™all need to get your act together. I followed the troubleshooting steps in the app and submitted logs, downloaded the RouteThis Helps app and submitted that - then support came back with ā€œSorry, it must be irreparably broken, weā€™ll give you a coupon towards a new device.ā€

Thatā€™s very wasteful to trash a product that is working just fine except for a firmware bug. Document that you only support WPA passwords shorter than 21 characters in your documentation, and let your support know to ask/try that as a resolution step.

3 Likes

YES! This should be a pinned post, obviously listed as a limitation on the firmware page, and maybe even the phone techs should be told about itā€¦

Screw-ups donā€™t necessarily alienate customers, but how a company handles them sure canā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m giving the benefit of the doubt for now given that the 2 people Iā€™ve talked with from Wyze say they are still working on a fix.

That being said, I agree that this firmware needs to be pulled until the fixed firmware is out. I am personally not going to change 30 other devices WPA keys just to accommodate 2 prod and 1 test camera that I have that are experiencing the issue.

1 Like

So, any chance this could fix the three nonresponsive cameras I was about to send to an electronic waste depot? Or is the solid yellow led the same as the ā€œblue screen of deathā€ on a PC?

Iā€™d flash the older firmware. That brought my 2 V2s back to life. The issue with manually doing it is that you need a micro SD card, and the card has to be smaller than 32GB (or partitioned smaller than 32GB). Once I partitioned a 128 down to 8GB the flash went fine.

This is a link to the older 8.x firmware that I flashed to fix my 2 cameras with issues. https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/v2/demo_4.9.8.1002.zip

1 Like

I just came here to see if anyone is having problems with the firmware before I update my v3 cameras. It looks like I should hold off for a bit. I will keep checking back to see when it is safe.

1 Like