Wyze Cam v2/Pan Firmware 4.X.9.1851 Released 2/2/23

How about previous promises like WPA3?

1 Like

When/where was this? Do you have a link I can look at or reference about this? I usually keep up with most of the AMA’s they do, and I don’t recall this. WPA3 would be a nice option. Eventually, most things will have to switch to WPA3 as tech progression continues.

It is a long thread. I have been waiting for Jason to provide an update for a good while now. Since the v2 just came out with another release and I see he is active here, I thought I would provide a gentle reminder. With that said, here is his latest response in the thread I started long ago:

V2 WPA3 was touted as working and released in July of 2021

4.9.7.798 (July 21, 2021)

• Improved an issue that caused Cam Plus Events to skip or lose frames
  • Changed the MP4 audio format
  • Reduced the time for receiving push notifications
  • Improved sound detection sensitivity
  • Fixed a bug that caused a loud sound in Playback if sound was already enabled in the live stream
  • Added WPA3 WiFi network support
  • Improved camera stability
  • Security improvements

The release notes have since been modified by Jason without leaving an explanation within the release notes. He will readily admit this if/when asked.

4 Likes

Thanks. Interesting, I totally missed that in the release notes. Interesting.

2 Likes

Short version, support for WPA 3 was said to be released but it never was and users are still waiting for it. I will have to see if I can find out where they are on that as I have not checked in a bit.

4 Likes

Some v2 update results:

Activated Use From FW SD Card Success Flaw
12/2018 (2) Heavy 4.9.8.1002 32G Yes Yes
01/2022 (1) Scant 4.9.8.501 None Yes No

All cams are enrolled in CAM PLUS LITE.

The flaw is in the cam Notifications Menu. The Person option is greyed-out, un-selectable.
Interestingly, the two cams with the flawed menu still send Person Notifications (their setting before updating.)

Functionally, there wouldn’t be an instance where I’d want to be notified of non-Person detections only. So not an issue, I guess, just interesting that one of the cams updated the Nofications menu differently.

1 Like

Wyze should give you free cam to test Apps before release.

1 Like

Yeah. :slight_smile:

Gotta say, so far everything’s operating well on the updated cams. I updated the most accessible two (and a spare.) I think I’ll wait a while to do the rest.

Have you taken the leap?

I have not dare to update because it is -31C for last two days. -41C with wind chill.
Do not feel like to go out on a ladder if the update failed.

I must resist until summer.

3 Likes

Just looked at my old v2s and the Firmware = 4.19.4.48, Plugin Version = 2.34.0.3 and they have no issues running RTSP. Something screwy since the new firmware is older verson? = 4.9.9.1851

Firmware 4.9.9.1851 has created serious issues on multiple cameras randomly stopping continuous recording.

2 Likes

I noticed later: regular pulses of loud static when monitoring SD card playback of continuous footage recorded prior to the upgrade:

Static that wasn’t there before.

Video is all there and plays ok. New video and audio both ok.

2 Likes

I was hoping that upgrading might improve connectivity to the v2 farthest from an access point (weakest signal) especially its performance in a group.

But no.

That cam is also closest to the multi-family building next door that has a fair amount of tenant turnover so:

‘Fair’ signal plus crowded/changing channel interference probably dooms this cam’s connectivity to ‘variable’ at best.

Finished updating the final four cameras. All updates completed without issue.

Three of the four exhibited the same behavior:

The fourth, with the Record Sound setting toggled OFF, suffered this:

Playback timeline marked as past continuous video present, but does not play: ‘no video at the selected time’.

2 Likes

Both of my V2 cams have quit recording after updating to 4.9.9.1851. They both have Samsung pro endurance 128GB cards installed.

1 Like

Same result for the final four cams, all of which were running FW v4.9.8.1002 prior. The one running FW v4.9.8.501 prior was the only outlier. :man_shrugging:

Anyone care to speculate what happened here?

weird :alien:

1 Like

Sure - WYZE development teams are in way over their head and QA is nearly non existent. We all get what we pay for. When issues are pointed out they initially act like they care then slowly sweep things under the rug and eventually completely ignore them. IE: WPA3 for v2 cams (said to be released July of 2021 and still not working), v1 contact sensors (totally swept under the rug and nobody got their money back). There are more examples, but what’s the point in listing them?

3 Likes

So some error in firmware programming could cause the regular pulses of loud static on the SD cards on update? To a lay-plus person (me) this seems odd. :slight_smile:

Hmm. If the problem did not exist for years. Then the firmware was upgraded and the problem began. I am not sure what else it could be other than one heck of a coincidence.

3 Likes