Wyze cam pan v3 losing WIFI connectivity

I wanted to post this to possibly help others. I was having an issue with my Pan v3 camera loosing WIFI connectivity and having to reset the camera to get it back. I tried a new camera, moving it and my router, but to no avail. It work for a while, but the problem would always return. I was using a 30 ft usb extension cable, so I tried a new 20 ft wyze cable and a new power brick and my problem is solved!

1 Like

Yes. The PanV3 is very succeptible to power loss failure since it is a high amp draw cam @ 2A. The longer the run, the more power lost.

1 Like

You were a victim of voltage drop on long run cables. The higher the current requirements (as with motors on the Pan Cam), the worse the issue, as @SlabSlayer pointed out. I wrote this up awhile back to highlight the issue:

1 Like

Yes I totally agree, the main reason I posted to help others is that the camera appeared to have power but would just not reconnect to my WIFI, so I spent a lot of time trying to get a better WIFI signal to the camera. After quiet a bit of troubleshooting, I moved on to the cable and/or power brick. The camera had worked for about two months before the problem started and with all the posts and firmware updates to the Pan 3 that mentioned WIFI I had been a little biased to thinking it was the WIFI most likely. Once I was convinced it was not the WIFI or the specific camera (I had tried a second new Pan 3 with no change) I moved on to the cable and power brick and was able to reduce the cable length from 30 to 20 to fix the issue. I’m not sure if the stress on the power brick had made it flakey so I swapped both the brick and the cable. Hopefully the new brick and 20 ft cable will hold up.

2 Likes

Just curious if you went with a higher amp brick and whether that would help when using an extension?

Current is limited by the resistance of the cable. So a higher-amp brick will only work when a too-low brick for the camera is being used. It won’t compensate for a longer cable run otherwise, because the extra resistance of the longer run won’t allow it.

Now a higher voltage brick will help compensate for a longer run, but read that Long-Run USB Power Cords link for many solutions to longer runs. Members really came thru with some great solutions there. :grinning:

2 Likes

I just went with another 2 amp brick for the pan3 and the shorter camera cable. One or the other might have worked, but I just did both at the same time. It has been a few weeks now and it’s still working fine.

I bought 2, one worked great from day one. The second was further from the router… yes, newish, very strong signals… and it dropped connection regularly.

Customer Service offered a gift certificate in compensation so I bought a new Pan V3 and it has been perfect.

Just guessing they may have had some weak wifi modules. I also had a long USB cable, but the new camera is just fine,

1 Like