Wyze Bulb Service Outage - 8/8/19

Here’s the crazy thing. Most smart home devices that don’t use a hub are controlled by the cloud. Every Google Assistant voice command, for example, goes up to the Google cloud, across to the device vendor’s cloud, and back down to the device. Google is looking to change that, however, with an SDK they call Local Execution:

1 Like

Mine is not working. Doesn’t respond in app & will not connect to Alexa.

1 Like

After a power outage, I came home with the three out of four bulbs I’ve installed on. I tried to take control of them and could not. On two out of three, I simply powered them off, back on and walla (note I went through the following pain first). On the third, and I’m not sure why I did what I did, but I tried to delete the bulb since I could not control it. That was not possible. Next thing I know I just went to add another bulb, and went through the procedure for installing a new bulb, and the third one was back. It overwrote the failed session with that bulb. Nothing earth shattering, but slightly troubling at the same time.

1 Like

Look for my replies to this thread, you can do this yourself.

You was already late

2 Likes

I turned my Wyze bulbs off and on again and they now appear to be operating properly. Thanks.

3 Likes

I have two separate alarm clocks in addition to my various phone alarms, I need all the help I can get. I’ve even contemplated one of those mattress flipping alarms.

2 Likes

No worries, just tried the power on power off and it worked just fine after that.

4 Likes

Just glad to see it wasn’t just me. Glad to know you are on top of this

2 Likes

Yeah so my wife flipped the bulbs on and off a few times when this outage occurred because she thought something was broken. Now the light bulbs reset themselves. What a crappy design this is. You guys gotta fix this.

1 Like

I’m just seeing this thread now but I did experience an issue with one of my bulbs a couple of days ago when it wouldn’t stay turned off. Powering it on & off didn’t seem to work so I reconnected it and all has been well since. My other bulb continued to function normally during the incident.

1 Like

I’ve got three bulbs DOA after the outage. Nothing works, on off, re-add, etc. It was ridiculously painful to get these set up in the first place. Since they will not setup with other bulbs on the network at all. All three are outside (two under carport, one at front door) so that means getting a ladder, taking them out then installing one at a time. Really hating these things. After getting them setup, then the outage took 'em down and now nothing works. I’m leaving on vacation soon and the good thing is, that I know now that they are not trustworthy from a security perspective. There’s been two outages in the last week. Two of the bulbs recovered from the first one, but the other bulb had to be uninstalled and reinstalled, which meant taking the other two bulbs out and setting that one up singly. The cameras made me think that this was going to work as well. Guess I was wrong. Regular bulbs going back in.

1 Like

Nothing they sell should be used for security, they are not made or marketed for that.

1 Like

I meant merely that I would like to trust that the bulbs will turn on and off while I’m gone for a week. Otherwise, what’s the point? An exercise in technology? A love of gadgets?

1 Like

According to my wife that’s my problem, I dont see it as an issue though.

I do agree you should be able to trust them to work while on a vacation. So far for me they are working.

Is there a way to get these notices in email as they happen? I was ripping everything apart and troubleshooting thinking it was my problem.

1 Like

@notmoe, I’ll talk to the team about it. I know that we’re looking into ways to make this information more easily accessible.

To everyone else, we apologize for how this outage impacted you and I will share your feedback with the team.

Thanks!

Moe

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: IFTTT not working