Wyze bulb on/off rules don't fire when scheduled

I cannot get my Wyze bulbs to schedule on/off time with any consistency. I tried all the tricks and the bulbs do not come on or go off multiple times during a week.

2 Likes

I haven’t had much time to test since initially posting this, but I’ve pretty much narrowed down the issue to an overcrowded 2.4 GHz band causing so much interference that the rules are unable to communicate with my Wyze bulbs when they are configured to turn on or off. What I wouldn’t give for a Wyze bulb on the 5 GHz band!

As for my solution, I had one device causing a ton of interference on the 2.4 GHz band (AKA “junk band”) and keeping that device turned off allowed the Wyze bulbs to receive whatever signal tells them to begin or end a rule set reliably. The device causing all the trouble was a wireless surround sound system I got from Best Buy years ago.

Honestly I shouldn’t have to turn off devices for these rules to work, but at least I have a workaround for the time being. Hopefully the developers can work in some logic to return an exit code based on whether the target device is in the desired/expected state. It could then perform a follow up action if needed based on whether a rule succeeded or failed. For example, if exit code equals 1 then keep trying to start or finish the rule set until you get an exit code of zero. If exit code equals zero then that means success and there’s nothing more to do. Just a very basic example but something that could potentially work depending on how the rest of the device’s logic is designed.

Hope everything gets worked out through software soon, but I’m also hoping we’ll see Wyze products that incorporate 5 GHz hardware someday. The 2.4 GHz band is just too messy.

3 Likes

Oct 17 I reported on this forum that I had taken the advice of someone else on this forum, which was to set separate rule for on and off. This resolved my problem. I even updated my on time without a hitch. On 6:30p; off 1:00a

2 Likes

I will try setting a separate rule for on and off (& doubling my list of rules) if, on the upcoming third Sat. night, the plugs still don’t work. I find it very odd they work perfectly, except for one night/week. I checked and Repeat is set for Everyday. I will submit a Support Request before I make that change so the developer can see my settings are correct.

2 Likes

The “rules/schedules in the app have a bad case of hiccups every Saturday, but Wyze is looking into this issue. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m pleased to report that my Wyze bulb schedules are working much better, the past few days.

3 Likes

Here it is Sat. night and I guess Wyze servers are down, because not one Wyze bulb lit up according to schedule, and didn’t turn off, either.

Can you turn them on and off through the app or are they ‘offline’

1 Like

I can turn them on/of with the app. My wifi, I presume.

My Schedules worked for the first time in 2 months on a Saturday. I think the new app update killed the bug. Have you seen a difference with yours ?

2 Likes

My plugs did not work last night Saturday night. I was disappointed, but I expect it’ll come in an update in the near future. Otherwise the plugs work great!

1 Like

Great when they work. LOL.

Thanks for letting me know. I hate to hear that you’re still having this issue. Wyze is aware of this and it’s being looked into. I will make sure to share this with the other Mavens. Im sure they will continue working on this until it is resolved. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay, we think this issue has been corrected on the server. So, If you will delete the rules and schedules and create new ones, this may resolve your Saturday rule issue. I deleted all my rules and created new ones and mine started working yesterday. Mine were failing to work until I did the reset. It’s worth a try. My Saturday rules were dead for two months but this process fixed mine. I hope it works for you. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Okay I’ll recreate my rules so they’ll be ready for their Saturday night debut next Saturday. Thanks for telling me about this!:pie::coffee::fallen_leaf: I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Here it is Monday and my bulb schedules are working fine. Go figure.

1 Like

I wrote too soon. The first 3 bulb programs lit up on schedule, but the last bulb did NOT. I used the app to turn it on.

1 Like

My smart plugs WORKED THIS PAST SATURDAY NIGHT, 11/30/19. I am delighted! They work as they should now. Thanks for the updates, WYZE. I’m a HAPPY camper now…hope everyone else’s worked on Saturday too!

4 Likes

Glad to hear! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m happy to report that finally all of my rules seem to be working reliably. This is after adding a Wyze plug to the mix for Christmas lights, modifying bulb schedules multiple times to adjust to shorter days, and letting things run their course. I haven’t seen a rule failure since November 25 so I’m considering this resolved at last!

Thanks Wyze team for working this issue!

1 Like