Wyze Band & Alexa - Useless without ability to speak commands just like with other Alexa devices

Um, weird, but after getting this thing all configured, I now realize that its Alexa integration is either broken, or poorly implemented.

None of the spoken commands that I use on a daily basis with my other Alexa-enabled devices work on this band.

I can get the time, and the temp, but when I attempt to ask it to do other things that I’m used to being natural, and just working, it can’t figure out what to do…like it’s not even connected to my own Amazon account or something (though I know it is, because I went into the Alexa app, and the Wyze Band showed up in there as one of my Alexa devices.

So, is this a known issue, or might there be something I need to do to get it working?

p.s. Alexa integration was the primary reason I got this Band, and is SUPER HIGH PRIORITY for me. :slight_smile:

I think this may be a sound quality issue. I can get simple commands easily, as you described, but more complex ones involving Smart Things or Routines it seems to need better Audio clarity to understand.
For example, I can ask for the time by speaking several inches away from the Band but to get a routine to execute I have to hold the the Band about an inch or from my lips and speak very slowly and clearly. That usually works fine.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts on this.
I can see how that could be an issue.
However, in this case, I don’t think that’s the issue.

I did what you are talking about previously with no difference. Now, I just tried a bunch of commands again, and same. No difference, no matter how close, or loud, or quiet, or clear.

All I get is either, “No response, please try again.”, or it just keeps “Thinking”…sometimes for minutes.

This is ridiculous.

I’m sorry, Wyze, but even though I still love you, and will continue buying and using EVERYTHING you make, this one is a failure.

Not necessarily the whole product itself, but the claim that this thing works with Alexa.

It doesn’t count as ‘working with’ Alexa just because you managed to figure out how to get it to connect. lol

Sorry you are having this issue -as I said, it works on my Band, but with the limitations I described.
I can see how it possibly be a bluetooth connection problem with your phone or possibly a wifi issue between your phone and Alexa.
I would try rebooting both Phone and Router. Admittedly a long shot, but easy enough to do.
Failing that, since we know the concept does work, at least on mine, I would suggest
Wyze Online Support. Live support is available: +1-206-339-9646 Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT.
Post back and let us know!

1 Like

Ya, I get the same results as you.
So, not worth wasting time going through a support case.

This issue is HUGE for a LOT of people.
This is not just something that bothers me.

There is a crap-ton of techies (most of whom must use Alexa) who work at Wyze.
So, they knew about this serious shortcoming before releasing it under the terms of ‘Works With Alexa’.

There is no way they actually need us all to call in.
Why? So that they know we noticed? lol

Wyze just needs to either fix this integration, or remove it from the official description, and the list of features, and all advertising.

Again, I LOVE Wyze, have lots of their stuff, and recommend them to (and install for) family, friends, and my business clients alike, and will continue to do so. This is just an (I hope) isolated glitch in their product roll-out regime, and I’m not going to pretend that it’s OK, cause it’s not.

p.s. Thanks again for your time and attention interacting with me about this. I really appreciate your attitude. It makes a big difference in a community like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can recall having issues like this in Early Access but since that time it’s been pretty solid. There are a few times it misses but 95% of the time, it’s accurate for me whether it’s turn on or off specific lights, groups, run a specific routine or ask it a question. It does sometimes seem a bit slow to start up still, but that’s a different kettle of fish.

I’d also not just assume Wyze knows about the issue or if they do that they know it affects enough users to make it a priority to adjust. If there’s a problem, open a ticket. Making claims about lots of people being affected or that they just KNOW and making demands really isn’t a great route to getting a problem fixed with your band or anything tech related for that matter.

1 Like

Thanks for that. We do try. I just don’t understand why I don’t have the same issue. I’m leaning toward some kind of Wifi issue. If you feel like it, post back with what type and setup Wifi you are using. If not, I understand.

1 Like

You’re right, and I appreciate you being gentle with me about it.
I was being short-sighted.
I will indeed create a support case for this issue.
Thank you.

UPDATE: Support request has been submitted. :slight_smile:

Ya, it’s not the Wi-Fi.
Now, I’m not saying I can’t ever miss something. I’m getting older, and would forget my head some days if it didn’t have its own way of staying attached.

However, I’m an ‘IT Guy’…been working on computers, and networking for over 20 years.
I install wired (including long, in-wall cable runs) and wireless (usually Ubiquiti’s UniFi stuff) networks, and security systems for IT clients. So, I’m at least fairly confident about it not being anything wrong with the network.

I just got out of Support Chat. They seemed genuinely puzzled as to why I’m not able to trigger routines with this thing. So, they forwarded my case on to the ‘engineers’, but said that they do not expect to hear anything back on it, and that forwarding it to the engineers is only meant to assist in making it better in the future.

So, if this does not get fixed by the time my return period is up (end of January, 2021), I will return it. Till then, it sits on the shelf. :expressionless: