Wifi extender with Outdoor Cam?

Can I install a wifi extender between the base station and the outdoor camera? If yes, how do I do it?

Thanks.

I think you just need an extender which has an Ethernet port and then plug the base station into that ethernet port.

doug11, are you saying that I should pair the extender with the router and then use an Ethernet cable to connect the extender to the base station?

Yes, there are other posts in the forum that indicate people do this often. I assume your base station is currently plugged into your Wi-Fi router and working properly. And then you configure extender, pairing I guess, to have the same SSID has the main router. And unplug the base station from the router and power source, and go plug the ethernet cable into your extender and a power source near the extender.

You can’t extend the signal between the base and the cameras but you could make the connection between the router and base wifi by using the method @doug11 is referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1750-inteligente-enrutadores-inalámbricos/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=pd_sbs_147_1/132-9876035-9153219?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0195Y0A42&pd_rd_r=a24db4b2-d4e2-4672-9943-5f63221a6ec2&pd_rd_w=USOyN&pd_rd_wg=7s73w&pf_rd_p=703f3758-d945-4136-8df6-a43d19d750d1&pf_rd_r=EJ04VNCSAQZKNR8FYE54&psc=1&refRID=EJ04VNCSAQZKNR8FYE54

Thank you to everyone who responded! I hadn’t even considered putting the extender in front of the base unit.

1 Like

Powerline network adapters?

Yes, if you have an AC outlet close to where you want the base to be.
The limitation is, both Powerline adapters have to be on the same side of the breaker panel, not necessarily the same breaker but the same 120V line.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I got it to work. I decided to do a quick step by step to help clarify the process

Here is what you need
Wyze Outdoor Camera
Wyze base station
wifi repeater (with ethernet port) - SSID must be the same name and password as your home router.
wifi home router

Step 1: Follow manual of your wifi repeater, and setup as exactly the same ssid and password as the 2.4ghz ssid and password of your home router.
step 2: connect base station to the home router, and run the step up process
step 3: add wyze outdoor camera, continue same process
Step 4: attempt to connect to the wyze outdoor camera to ensure setup process is successful. If yes… proceed to step 4 (if not, continue to step 2-3 and troubleshoot)
step 4: unplug the wyze base station from the home router, and connect to the ethernet port of the wifi repeater.
Step 5: connect to the wyze outdoor camera.

Hi, is sounds like you solved part of my problem. I have a long stretch of three outdoor cams at roughly 25, 30, and 60 feet from the base. The ones at 25 and 30 feet work pretty good (although a little slow to react to activity) but the one at 60 feet will not connect reliably if at all. I tried moving the base closer wirelessly to see if it would establish a connection but even that was poor. I’m thinking of adding a wifi range extender and another base closer (perhaps 20 feet away) to the camera.

Has anyone done this or heard of any good results from this approach?

Any help would be appreciated since, at this point, I have a dead camera.