WIFI 6 or 6E?

I recently went to 1gig fiber internet and my Cam Pro v3 is still having connection problems.

I am currently using an ASUS 88u wifi 6 router and I’m thinking of getting an ASUS GT-AXE11000 Tri-band wifi 6E to replace it.

Do you think the 6E would be better?

Thanks!

6E is always better… as a general rule. What is really wrong is your Wyze to Router connections. Regular 6 should be enough to run all your Wyze devices continuously. Fix that problem first. Check each device individually to see what connection they have to the router. Use some free software to see how much signal strength you have at different locations around your house… I’m guessing maybe neighbors are using the same ‘channel’ as you…

Also remember that Wyze uses 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz so when you check the channel, check the congestion on those bands. However, the V3Pro is only 2.4 GHz.

I do agree WiFi 6 and 6E should be fine. I used to have the ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 pack and those worked flawlessly.

Which node of your network is it connecting to? Also, assuming you have multiple nodes, how are the nodes connected to the main router? Ethernet or WiFi?

1 Like

The only difference between Wi-Fi 6 and 6e is that 6e supports a 6GHz band which no Wyze devices can use anyway. So for your purposes there would be no difference in supporting 6e.

Having said that, it is possible that the new router has other various changes or improvements in addition to the 6GHz band being added. But it also may not. I have not compared the 2.

2 Likes

I think 6e also has more ‘channels’ to choose from so you might be able to keep away from your neighbor’s channels…

Unfortunately, WiFi 6e does not have more channels on the 2.4GHz band, or the 5GHz band. What it does is add channels on the 6GHz band, which is less congested, doesn’t go as far (so less interference from neighbors), and is faster. But the 6GHz band will do absolutely NOTHING for Wyze devices which are all reliant on 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands/channels. It will also be completely useless for the majority of devices that don’t support the WiFi 6e 6GHz band. Recent phones and computers may have a 6e network card in them, but very, very few other things do yet. Most people will currently not notice any benefit from 6e since it doesn’t give more channels on 2.4GHz and 5GHz which is what 99% of all their internet-capable devices currently require. I currently have 6e mesh running and it works reasonably well for my phone, but helps basically NOTHING else at all.

WiFi 7 does something similar. It extends more channels to the 6GHz band, but, again, few devices support it yet, so that does almost nothing for most people.

It should be noted that very few IoT devices will ever support the 6GHz band. Besides currently being WAY more expensive, the signal distance is horrible. A lot of 6GHz reviews explain that if you get farther than 50 feet or have more than 1 wall in the way, the signal drops off so fast it is basically slow and unusable compared to 5GHz, and most people really want to mount cameras farther away from the router than that, and through walls, so 6GHz is unlikely to be chosen for most IoT devices. It will primarily be used by phones/tablets, computers, TVs, and Gaming Consoles, but few to no other things. Maybe some kind of indoor 8K high bitrate super expensive smart camera that will be mounted in the same room as the Mesh router…but even then, any camera worthy of 6GHz will just be wired PoE instead of 6GHz.

Don’t get me wrong, I love having 6GHz for my phone. I am just saying it will not add any channels to the 2.4GHz all your Wyze and other IoT devices use, and thus it won’t have any benefit at all compared to just getting Wifi 6 without the 6e.

1 Like

There’s also an issue that ASUS puts out some really bad firmware updates for routers. Never know when you will have a bad update for a long while. Often too, firmware updates have issues where a factory reset is needed and full clean setup without importing previous config. It doesn’t really surprise me that you have connection issues lol.

Some other things are potentially possible depending on things. But, normally you should not be having connection issues at all.

Examples:

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.21045

Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045

45.9 MB

**2018/06/01**

- Modified the EULA for DDNS, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web history, Feedback.
- Add Privacy page in Advanced settings
**- Fixed IPv6 bugs**
ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.32799

Version 3.0.0.4.384.32799

45.36 MB

**2018/09/20**

**Fixed WIFI stability issue.**
ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20490

38.16 MB

**2020/04/28**

**- Improved connection stability.**
- Optimized CPU utilization.
**- Fixed firmware upgrade bugs.** ..........lol as if.
ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.43129

Version 3.0.0.4.386.43129

40.61 MB

**2021/05/18**

1.Fixed the FragAttack vulnerability.
2.Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
**3.Improved system stability.**
4.Fixed GUI bugs.
ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46065

Version 3.0.0.4.386.46065

41.33 MB

**2022/01/25**
**Fixed WAN connection bug.**

So you never know if even the latest firmware is having problems and then put out another firmware later with fixes to things causing connection problems after dealing with them for a while.

I’d like to throw out my current ASUS but only just bought it “recently” but then I only use it as an AP and its not being used in router mode and I have an alternate AP.

Also, using the internal automatic reboot once per week can help in certain situations too.

Still, you’re stating ASUS router and connection issues can very well be where the problem is due to ASUS firmware quality. Not the two best things to be stating together.

2 Likes

I loved my ASUS mesh routers when I used them, but yes, there were several times where a firmware update caused some breakage. I went for a period of weeks or months where my satellite router on the Mesh system suddenly wouldn’t work at all, and I just had to turn it off and use 1 router for a while. Eventually after a few firmware updates, I turned it back on and updated and it started working again.

I would get another ASUS because they have AWESOME features! But I do have to agree that sometimes the firmware updates cause breakage or make some things wonky temporarily.